need help for buying headphones

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i am thinking to buy the samson sr950 i know its cheap but i need some listening device with long wire currently i am using a custom IEM
(i know that i should use a 6.3 mm extender but i need 2 device)
are those any good ? ?
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

They are good but they are "closed back" headphones with better isolation, suited for recording vocals or if you use them out in the street.
Otherwise for home studio use, "semi open" headphones offer a better/wider/spacier sound.
In that category, Samson SR850, Superlux HD681b and Presonus HD7, are very good for the price.

bedjka wrote:They are good but they are "closed back" headphones with better isolation, suited for recording vocals or if you use them out in the street.
Otherwise for home studio use, "semi open" headphones offer a better/wider/spacier sound.
In that category, Samson SR850, Superlux HD681b and Presonus HD7, are very good for the price.
thanks man, actually i would need most precise/same playback with no bass or high enhancement so what do you think should i buy sr 850 or 950 ?? and the area i live is little noisy(some cars at distance and my ac) so what do you think should i buy
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

I actually forgot the best one for mixing, the flatest, most balanced of all,
https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B- ... B003JOETX8, it is a semi open so isolation is not the best, it really depends of the level of noise you are having.

If you are not mixing, get the SR950, you'll have better isolation and even they are not as flat as the HD668b (or HD681b) they sound quite good, a lttle more emphasis on bass and highs than the two Superlux, but If it is only for listening, it doesn't matter that much.

bedjka wrote:I actually forgot the best one for mixing, the flatest, most balanced of all,
https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B- ... B003JOETX8, it is a semi open so isolation is not the best, it really depends of the level of noise you are having.
After lots of "research," the HD668B are what I ended up with - man, I love 'em. For $39, the sound quality is rather remarkable. I recorded vocals and had no issue with the semi-open backs. And, by golly, it wasn't my imagination that my Sony MDR7506 were so old and decrepit (though still sound great) that they were creaking and cracking while tracking vocals. Lord, wish I'd done this a year ago - it would have saved hours of retracking and editing out those stupid clicks.

They're great, aren't they? I use mine for everything, listening to music, gaming, and "producing music". ;) Couldn't be happier. Even though other headphones may be a bit more neutral, i think the HD668B tend a bit to the hi-fi side, but, i like that, actually. Superb cans for that price.

chk071 wrote: Even though other headphones may be a bit more neutral, i think the HD668B tend a bit to the hi-fi side, but, i like that, actually.
I was wondering about that - they almost sound too good to be neutral, but I really am not well-versed on headphones, especially on what one would call neutral...I did order the Cosmos pads, as appears to be the "thing" to do.

I'm using a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x for checking mixes and recording guitars / vocals mainly. They're my first closed back cans. I'm very happy with them.

The HD668B looks great for the price. I may get a pair ...

I got the Presonus headphones coming with their Studio Kit with an audio interface and it's pretty good and affordable.

I've got the AKG 240's. Sound great and reasonably priced.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”