New Apple iMac Pro - 18 cores, built for the pros

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

keyman_sam wrote: Windows is a great OS (and I'd work on Win 7 over anything else) but the rampant issues with Win-based systems are just a nature of the beast. Be it dell, hp, lenovo or whatever.
Poor guy. You're so unfortunate... :roll:

Decidedly, you have to get a Mac. A Mac is the answer to all your problems. Why did you took so long to figure it out? :hihi:

You were blind, but now you see. You're a believer. Buy a Mac and be happy. :borg:
Last edited by fmr on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

keyman_sam wrote: Apple simply has a higher standard for everything - design, engineering, craftsmanship, etc..
..and Apple users simply have higher standards for everything.

Whenever I'm in front of a Windows machine, I think 'are they joking??'.

I believe when the average Windows user sees a dialog box with buttons labelled 'yes' and 'no', he/she does not even notice it, much less get upset about this level of incompetence.

stratology wrote:
keyman_sam wrote: Apple simply has a higher standard for everything - design, engineering, craftsmanship, etc..
..and Apple users simply have higher standards for everything.
As the arguments presented here are pretty much rephrasing the same rhetoric devices, circular logic combined with other fallacies like snob appeal (look it up) -- I mean, when seen in combination in this manner it's usually indeed a display of "this thing is better in every way, thus people who have better tastes/standards/etc are the ones who endorse this thing, and I hereby present this evidence of them having better standards as an argument for this thing being better" -- I am just going to be even more repetitive and do a replay of what I wrote some days ago, verbatim. Might add some reworded closing thoughts at the bottom there.

Looking at a high-quality PC setup and an equally high-quality Mac, things that matter to me are something like the following, just a small selection:

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/ssd-s ... ?r=UK&IR=T

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... s-macbooks

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook ... down/92171

I think there are plenty of people who aren't even aware that Apple is actually soldering components like the SSDs in their top of the line models straight into the motherboard these days. And so forth.

So, yep, on the software side it's very nice. On the hardware side it's nice on paper, yet it's the hardware and hardware-related policies I personally object to. I feel like they call into question what can be considered a high quality device in our modern world in the first place. The irony of someone calling critics like me "stuck in the 90s" is, I think they themselves are stuck in the times when Apple still had respectable hardware.

Charging the customers such a heavy premium for things like choosing higher specs for trivially interchangeable components (just try to increase the CPU specs, RAM or SSD in the custom system builder on the Apple site and see the figures) and then delivering it all in a monolithic package that can't be updated, repaired or, ultimately, reused... is something I don't personally subscribe to.

Deep down, I think it's unethical to present systems like this as high quality computers, built for the good of the customer. It's not about being displeased with a premium pricetag, it's about getting less for more from the perspective of the whole modern digital culture and the practices that are condoned therein. I wouldn't want to be associated with such systems or endorsing their use in any way :).

One can have higher standards in more than one way. One might value things based on completely different weighting and criteria than the next person. It's so easy to group everyone who has made different decisions than yourself, into a rhetorically homogenized group of "Windows users", "Apple users", "PC users", "users of product [X]", "people who have made different choices in life than me", "people whose values differ from mine" ... When in every group there are actually value systems and non-trivial compromises, practical questions, ethical questions, all kinds of stuff at play that can make a given choice problematic, and in the end, different from yours.

Me, as much as I like the Apple stuff I've used, as much as I think macOS has the better architecture, and as much as I still have my iPad Mini 4 for quite a bit of experimental mobile audio stuff (it's very good for that purpose), I'm also of the opinion that iPads/iPhones, along with the modern Apple laptops et al, are problematic devices that I'd like to do without, and I most probably wouldn't want to invest in any of those again, as I indeed would like to shun the association completely. The whole hardware ecosystem just rubs me the wrong way, for well documented reasons (some links above, and again, just google for more on these kinds of issues). I value openness in the sense of DIY sustainability, pricing structures that aren't driven by monolithic restriction models, yada yada, as must be quite obvious from my input already. Having systems of that nature around isn't a chore for me, it's a prerequisite in how I personally want to realize my knowhow and engage with the digital world. Hah.

Well I just spent money on a maxed out 12-core Mac Pro w/ the D700 graphics cards and also bought a 12Tb thunderbolt2 storage system to go with it.

I couldn't wait until december for the Imac pro, because i have projects that need to be done sooner than then.

in the mean time I think this will work fine for my 4K editing needs.

And yes I spent a lot of time looking into bulding a custom PC workstation but not for work..

I must say that the Imac Pro looks like a very impressive solution for 4K and 8k video production. I will definitely keep my eye on this for the future.
:borg:

I'm holding on for the 2018 MacPro! But I have three Macs (2002, 2006, 2010) that still run great on OSX 10.6 and 10.8 and don't know what I should do with them... :shrug:
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Feel free to call me Brian.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The last time I got a blue screen on my W7 PC was years ago when one of my RAM modules was broken. That was my fault, though, as it was cheap Kingston RAM.

For developers Windows is also better because it is much more consistent across versions. Some developers spend a lot of time implementing the weird changes between OSX versions.
I am sorry, but do you work with developers? A lot I know that are in the front-end, back-end and data analysis use a macbook. and quite a lot of others and especially for game development they use windows and for anything related to programming for hardware they use linux.

If you make such an assumption at least provide some sources.

stratology wrote: ..and Apple users simply have higher standards for everything.
Since I am an Apple user since 1987, I think that apllies to me too :hihi:
stratology wrote: Whenever I'm in front of a Windows machine, I think 'are they joking??'.
That's exactly what I also think, but it seems we are not referring to the same "they"... :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

V0RT3X wrote:Well I just spent money on a maxed out 12-core Mac Pro w/ the D700 graphics cards and also bought a 12Tb thunderbolt2 storage system to go with it.

I couldn't wait until december for the Imac pro, because i have projects that need to be done sooner than then.

One of our guys just got something similar (minus the storage), for the same sort of thing. The video stuff in Adobe CC17 wont fecking work on it, CC15 versions crash constantly. :sigh:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

iTzPrime wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The last time I got a blue screen on my W7 PC was years ago when one of my RAM modules was broken. That was my fault, though, as it was cheap Kingston RAM.

For developers Windows is also better because it is much more consistent across versions. Some developers spend a lot of time implementing the weird changes between OSX versions.
I am sorry, but do you work with developers? A lot I know that are in the front-end, back-end and data analysis use a macbook. and quite a lot of others and especially for game development they use windows and for anything related to programming for hardware they use linux.

If you make such an assumption at least provide some sources.
Given that you've never actually made any reference to audio, music, or using audio plugins (on this audio, music, and audio plugin website) you're possibly unaware that he's almost certainly referring to audio plugin developers, many of the best-known of whom are based on this website, a decent subset of which having commented on said issue.
But its entirely correct that Apple have repeatedly and consistently 'broken' AudioUnits plugins, and audio plugin developers have been stating as much here consistently for its entire lifecyce.
In short, this website is 'the sources'.

But go ahead, ask an audio plugin developer yourself. I'd suggest the Melda guy, or Chris Randall of Audio Damage. That'll be good for a laugh.

stratology wrote:
metamorphosis wrote:
stratology wrote:Windows 7 is an outdated OS. Remaining on an outdated OS, regardless of outdated Windows or macOS, is always a security risk.
Nope.
I explained in detail why running any 8 year old OS, regardless of whether it's 'patched' or 'supported', is a security risk.
No you didnt. Despite being asked to repeatedly, you still havent achieved that. And no, the handwaving and misdirections ('newer OS's have better security features' isnt relevant) you resorted to instead are merely that.

whyterabbyt wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:Well I just spent money on a maxed out 12-core Mac Pro w/ the D700 graphics cards and also bought a 12Tb thunderbolt2 storage system to go with it.

One of our guys just got something similar (minus the storage), for the same sort of thing. The video stuff in Adobe CC17 wont fecking work on it, CC15 versions crash constantly. :sigh:
That sucks. Maybe they might be better off building a windows workstation from the ground up for Premiere? I've heard a bunch of mixed reviews regarding Premieres performance on the Mac Pro. I think a lot of it has to do with the AMD video card support.

I was originally going to build a custom PC workstation using a bunch of research I got from these guys over at https://www.pugetsystems.com. They have some great articles where they do a lot of comparisons which seem to be pretty honest.

Personally I figured I"ll stick to FCPX and Resolve because I'd rather be working on stuff than tinkering with PC builds. Maybe in the future once I get my money back for the Mac Pro, I'll start saving up for a PC system because Premiere looks pretty amazing.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:I've heard a bunch of mixed reviews regarding Premieres performance on the Mac Pro. I think a lot of it has to do with the AMD video card support.
When the last generation of MacBook Pros was announced last year, several reviewers saw performance issues with Premiere, while the same projects worked flawlessly, with better performance, in FCP.

Cross platform software is always a compromise, and Adobe hasn't had the best track record of optimising their software for new 'under the hood' technologies of macOS in recent years.

stratology wrote: When the last generation of MacBook Pros was announced last year, several reviewers saw performance issues with Premiere, while the same projects worked flawlessly, with better performance, in FCP.
Wasn't exactly for things like this that Microsoft faced many accusations of taking advantage of the fact they were the authors of the OS to have better integration of their software and advantages regarding the competition? :borg:

And the fact they are changing the OS every year doesn't help either. I remember having read that Adobe menaced to stop supporting Mac OS because of some Apple policies a few years ago...

Blaming Adobe, one of the main companies that always supported Apple, and was one of the keys to MANY Mac sales during decades, is kind of cynical.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

whyterabbyt wrote:

Why doesn't that surprise me. :lol:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”