Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Synthman2000 wrote:I could understand that if you did not own a Virus and want some of the VA / basic FM flavour. But to have only part of a Virus emulated with arguably the most important part of the sound engine missing seems like a big compromise that can be navigated with little effort. Effort that is already familiar territory, if not cumbersome.

A bridge that don't work (if that is the case and I am not saying it will be, it might work perfectly, these things are typically very system dependent, DAW/computer etc.) will, relatively speaking, make Virus TI integration seem like a dream come true. Having synths go missing and endless GUI problems and all sorts of other unpredictable behaviour is far from enjoyable.

Everyone can make their own decisions of course based on their own exact findings. 8) I may yet change my mind and try it, depending on how I feel and how things develop and what people report as their experiences.
I think using Virus for things only Virus can do and Viper for everything else where I would typically use Virus would already greatly improve my workflow. If you have troubles with Cubase bridge, you may always try Jbridge as an alternative. I think you will agree that even the VA and FM sounds from Virus are not exactly nailed by synth like Spire, Sylenth etc.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
4damind wrote:With 3rd party tools like jBridge the DAW must run with admin privileges which is against all security rules.
I always run my DAW as an admin, am I doing smth wrong here?

When I launch the DAW not as admin some plugins may not properly work, iirc the license for Valhalla VVerb goes inactive and so on.
You give the app and the plugins full access to your system and this was always a big point for a lot of problems eg. on Windows if apps writing on system directories, modifying system settings etc. I know, the time Windows has started with UAC (Windows 8?) some plugins had problems because they tried to write/read settings to wrong locations without having the permissions. But IMO this is not a problem anymore and I cannot remember that a plugin had a problem.

There is also a side effect... Drag & Drop from the desktop or other applications eg the explorer to the DAW is not working anymore. This is a restriction of UAC (User Access Control). If using jBridge, running the DAW with admin privileges seems to be important (the developer highly recommends this and he implemented also a message box to inform about this). But without using jBridge, I would not run the DAW with admin privileges.

Synthman2000 wrote: But to have only part of a Virus emulated with arguably the most important part of the sound engine missing seems like a big compromise that can be navigated with little effort.
Which part of the sound engine is that?
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

I would say the granular formant wave table thing it does. The rest is emulated to one degree or another.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Yeah, the plan is to include new oscillator types and features as the updates go.

High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Yes the formant complex and WT's. And also parameters like F-Shift and F-Spread. Cubase 9 does not officially support any 32 bit plug ins and there is no Steinberg bridge shipped anymore. It seems foolhardy to do otherwise when this is Steinbergs attempt at ironing out some of the instability/crash issues Cubase seems to have suffered. (Though to be honest I think this could be multiple, impossible to know factors as much as anything. As I supect some Cubase users run cracks, bridges and are clueless about setting up PC hardware/OS etc. or use their PC as DAW, games, internet and whatever else machines)

This cull of 32 bit plug ins is stability related and from my experiences seems to be working out pretty well. 64 throughout is hands down the best decision I have made DAW wise (arduous though the process was), probably that and running Win10. I can only speak of my own experiences but so far (running 38 tracks at the mo of softsynths and effects at 50pct CPU) Cubase 9 is the DAW I have always wanted, very impressed.

I used J Bridge with W7 64 Cubase 8.x 32 Bit - and it seemed to work ok (with high memory usage softsynths), for a bit, then a lot of weird problems started occuring and I ended up losing work (despite saving as endless times). That is heart breaking when you have ploughed heart and soul into a complex tune.

As I say every individual will have their own experiences with their system and no doubt for some it will be plain sailing and for some not so much.

Reason 9.5 also does not support 32-bit plugs. I plan on demoing Viper in Reaper with its native bridging support.
Feel free to call me Brian.

I will not say that bridging is completely crap. Under rare cirumstances bridging makes sense, also today. A plugin will run in it's own thread/process and this can be sometimes helpful for plugins which using a external midi interface (like a synth controller, librarian etc) because this sharing of midi ports is often not working as expected if the midi port is always used by the DAW.
So for this reason, bridging a 64Bit plugin can make sense. Anyway, for new synth a 32 Bit version is a show stopper.

4damind wrote: Anyway, for new synth a 32 Bit version is a show stopper.
TBH, I don't quite understand the purpose of such posts. I think it is obviosus to anyone that a native 64 bit version is preferable but it is also clear that Adam depends on the Flowstone guys here. What you are trying to change by posting this?

Am I the only one who works the most in 32 bit FL Studio i have some plugins i miss in 64 bit only?

walker1 wrote:Am I the only one who works the most in 32 bit FL Studio i have some plugins i miss in 64 bit only?
I work about 50/50 in FL Studio 64-bit and 32-bit. I agree that time is not yet right to give up 32-bit and move over to 64-bit only. I Think it will take a few more years at least. Some DAW makers are actually forcing their users to run 64-bit only. Latest Cubase can only run 64-bit and also Reason 9.5. I hope Image-Line doesn't go down that route just yet.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

recursive one wrote:
4damind wrote: Anyway, for new synth a 32 Bit version is a show stopper.
TBH, I don't quite understand the purpose of such posts. I think it is obviosus to anyone that a native 64 bit version is preferable but it is also clear that Adam depends on the Flowstone guys here. What you are trying to change by posting this?
He should try to find a different solution. If you invest so much time and you back a wrong horse, you can get problems. I remember if Sylenth1 was released and Lennard made the mistake to use Synthedit for the GUI... the interest was very limited. This changed after he released a new version and removed Synthedit.
You cannot please everyone but some points are today important for a successful release of a new plugin.
He should wait some more time and find a solution which works for most users

4damind wrote: He should wait some more time and find a solution which works for most users
I wonder what it theoretically may be. It was already discussed here that the Jbridge guy offers making custom bridges for 32 bit plugins but it is not exactly cheap and it would make sence only if this is really a cutom version of Jbridge specifcially adapted to work with Viper and tested in multiple hosts and not just a permission to distribute Jbridge bundled with Viper. And it is still a bridge after all. Other than that the only option seems to be to hire someone to write a native code (I guess way too expencive and would take way too much time) or wait for Flowstone 64 bit. In any case I see no reason to delay the release, he can introduce the 64 bit version later when it is ready.

double post, deleted
Last edited by adamszabo on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”