Delay the LFO

Official support for: lennardigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It has been a while since I used Sylenth1 and I am getting used to it all again. I don't see a way to set a delay amount for when the LFO kicks in (so it fades in) like with many other synths and their LFOs.

AFAIK there is no trick way to do that besides assigning an envelope to it, so I'd like to ask for that as a feature request.

What's wrong with modulating the LFO with an envelope exactly?

Lennard wrote:What's wrong with modulating the LFO with an envelope exactly?
Nothing, except that I use up an envelope to do that. I mean, I could use that same envelope for modulating something else... but then it would have to use that same envelope setting I am using to delay the LFO, so I'd be stuck with that. A delay control in there would free up that envelope, that's all I meant.

That's why I have repeatedly suggested including one of the modulation envelopes in each layer (rather than being global), which would basically add an additional envelope without having to expand the GUI.

I mean, with 16 waves per layer, a single layer is fat enough. So I never use the second layer for doing the same thing as layer one to fatten things up. Instead I use the second layer to make a completely different sound (for instance an attack) to complement layer one, like two building blocks. This however usually requires different filter envelope settings for both layers, i.e. there is no envelope left for anything else, such as pitch modulation or LFO onset.

But I get the impression that LD are not willing to change/add anything of musical substance about/to Sylenth1. All that gets changed is superficial stuff such as skins, menu structure etc. while feature requests are met with odd excuses why those features are supposedly missing on purpose :?

Just use another synth if you really need that. Sylenth is what Sylenth is, and nails that task.

tehlord wrote:Just use another synth if you really need that. Sylenth is what Sylenth is, and nails that task.
That attitude is kind of pointless. After all, LD pretend to care what customers want. Why else would they have opened the Ideabox thread?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
tehlord wrote:Just use another synth if you really need that. Sylenth is what Sylenth is, and nails that task.
That attitude is kind of pointless. After all, LD pretend to care what customers want. Why else would they have opened the Ideabox thread?
You're right. Just buy 50 plugins and whine about the one feature one of them doesn't have that already has a workaround.

Nobody is whining. Basically it is a mere feature request...

The problem is that additional features entail additional complexity. When you're looking at a synth who's entire raison de'tre is simplicity -- especially one as successful as Sylenth1 -- you have to take this sort of suggestion with a large grain of salt.

This goes for me as well! I would personally love to see polyphonic LFO's, but I'm unsure if they really merit inclusion. I'm not the center of the universe, what makes me happy might not be for the greater good.

And there are, in fact, synths with the exact opposite philosophy: let's try to be everything to everyone and leave no feature unimplemented. Omnisphere is probably the best example of this. I recently bought it, and it does its job about as well as I think it can be done. And yet, I really regret the purchase -- it has polyphonic LFO's, and about a billion other things, but what it cannot have is the compact simplicity of Sylenth1.

That's what I miss. And you don't get that without the developer having the back bone to say "no."
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Nobody is whining. Basically it is a mere feature request...
Did you actually buy Sylenth ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Nobody is whining. Basically it is a mere feature request...
Did you actually buy Sylenth ?
Yes, twice actually :hihi:

Now that's the way to support a developer. :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I should get a frequent buyer discount :wink:

And this time I will keep it. If it gets improved, fine with me. If not, well, I can live with it and the competition also had its share of quirks. I have kind of given up on finding the perfect synth. I will never be really happy with any of them...

I agree. It's better to have a few synths that you are 80% happy with (a realistic goal) rather than trying in vain to find that one synth you're 100% happy with (which will never happen.)
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

I was looking for this feature recently as well and discovered you can also do this via the arpeggiator velocity control. You assign that as the input on the Misc modulators, lower right, then assign the output to lfo gain. You can create a custom rise using the velocity steps. You may have to adjust the gate and hold settings, as well as extend the wrap to max value, but can work for relatively short held notes when both envelopes are in use.

Return to “LennarDigital”