One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, maybe I had missed that... ah well. Then you must consider it a win! :hyper:
...if the past made us change for the better, we must be grateful about it as we should be for the present! 8)

Exactly! :hyper:
...Wait. We're still literally not on the same page.

:lol: Now we are! :party:

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/movement-conspiracy-kvr

Updated version

About 12 instances of imagine line modular contains spiral generator as its the only way it'll work in my daw.
Segx2 gate expander
Garyg2012 tipaki
Magneto
Voxengo old is cool verb
Surround panned, set centrally to control width
Msed

Thanks to krauftraum for comments on previous version :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Mac OSX 10.12.5

Opening the package, I get this error. For what it's worth, the package contents show another .mpkg file, also damaged, and THAT one's contents are empty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Michael

I chose to go with "download" as opposed to "add to cart" because I don't want people to think you have to go through a whole cart system with billing info. It's simple now, you just click download, type in e-mail address, submit, download. You get direct download link in the next page after you hit submit.

Yes I removed the "direct download" link.

Yes you have to put in an e-mail address to get the download, you just don't have to sign up for newsletter.

I would probably opt to have a "download now" right next to "would you like to sign up for newsletter?" but the cart system I use doesn't allow that... oh wait, actually, I could do just that by bypassing the cart system. But I'd rather not do that because those who want to buy prettyscope and then conveniently get the spiral generator download in one go would no longer be able to do that.

Look, I weighed the options. This is what I've chosen. You don't have to like it. I'm doing this because I think it is nice both for customers and my business, I am not nefarious, I am not sleezy, so... why are we having this conversation? Just let it be. This will be my last comment on the subject.

Edit: And what happens when I have multiple free products? Then you don't have the convenience of getting download links in one place, you gotta do one at a time. Not that either option is so much better or worse than the other, but I feel like the cart system is the most "polished" of the two. May not be perfect, but that's "what I got".

Oopfoo wrote:Opening the package, I get this error.
try now: http://www.elanhickler.com/Soundemote/S ... ator_2.zip

Ok, I don't want make quotes here but I would like to say something on a subject.
nickamandote wrote:OK, so I have a kick drum, plays fine at the start but in the middle of the song is so much quieter /or almost inexistant, any way how to avoid this? Thanks. PS: one idea would be volume automation I guess.. ?
Why consider this as a bug, to me it's an obvious mixing issue.

About websites collecting emails: it never works for me. Even Native Instruments website wanting me to give them my email for FREE Kontakt Player cause unreal butthurt. I never read companies' emails. What makes me happy and helps track news easily are Atom/RSS feeds. It is the best way to keep track of rarely updated things.

What can really make me excited about ANY VSTi - interesting presets that goes with it. ANY. Cuz I will never guess about it's extraordinarity without presets. There are lots of free plugs in the internets, as an average user I can hardly hear some sophisticated algorithms in it buy listening the default saw/pulse/triangle. And most of them has presets that makes me think of them as "yet another 8-bit sounds generator". What made me exited about SP - stuff with panorama, that's awesome. I was never good at panorama things and making sound wide.

So, dear Architeuthis, what will really make your VSTi great, i think, are good presets. Ask people to share some of them after the contest.

About GUI. Some of my acquaintances said is too plain. But I think it's awesome and I think it's childish to judge a sound by how it looks xD Maybe you could make some variants with different look for picky people. Like mausynth

What I think could be great, if you will check Atlantis (abandoned synth, no x64 version) and how it handles LFO visualization. I think you could implement some approaches in you GUI easily to help people understand, what's going on.

I don't think SP is alpha, to me it worked very stable.
Here's my feedback about issues in x64 Windows Cubase:
  • you could handle "double click" so we could manually enter a value without changing current value after first click (with gain field it can be even dangerous for you ears xD) also you loose initial variable if you wanted only fine tune it.
  • next sound after preset switch not always picks envelope variables.
  • +1 for polyphony (4-5 voices limit can be ok for CPU resources)
  • I don't know how to roll through fxp, fxb presets, all the time I need click "Import preset".

But I think Steinberg wasted preset system in VST technology, so everybody are implementing their own system. That pisses me off a lot.

I like how it handles presets, rolls through current folder, etc.
Good job, very nice VSTi. Definitely I will leave it for my everyday regular productions.

tw | yt | ig

stunkit wrote:
nickamandote wrote:OK, so I have a kick drum, plays fine at the start but in the middle of the song is so much quieter /or almost inexistant, any way how to avoid this? Thanks. PS: one idea would be volume automation I guess.. ?
Why consider this as a bug, to me it's an obvious mixing issue.
No, I'm pretty sure it's a DC offset thing. The DC offset slowly floats to the edge and gets clipped to the point that it sounds quieter since it's heavily biased.
nickamandote wrote:What can really make me excited about ANY VSTi - interesting presets...
I know SG needs presets. Will add them eventually.
About GUI. Some of my acquaintances said is too plain. But I think it's awesome and I think it's childish to judge a sound by how it looks xD Maybe you could make some variants with different look for picky people. Like mausynth
I don't like the SG GUI, it's just what I could muster together. Will be better in the future.
What I think could be great, if you will check Atlantis (abandoned synth, no x64 version) and how it handles LFO visualization. I think you could implement some approaches in you GUI easily to help people understand, what's going on.
I know. Spiral Generator needs a robust and informative UI, especially LFO visualization.

and to the rest of what you said: "i knoooooooooooo" fixes and improvements are coming. I'm not a stranger to modern audio plugin design and conveniences. SG lacks a lot of them. That will not hold true forever.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spiral Generator got a cool shout out in the newest issue of computer music magazine. Congrats Architeuthis.

Thanks Local Man! uhh, if anyone could screeshot that for me...

Also, thanks for the comments stunkit, didn't mean to sound ungrateful. Your feedback is appreciated.

Perfect. Thank you!
-Michael

I'm going straight for Spiral Generator 3 (releasing some time after the OSC is over). Meeting with my programmer tomorrow to discuss what is in the realm of possibility of featuresets. I'm hoping mainly for anything-to-anything modulation (including sending an LFO back into itself then back out to a number of parameters, for insanity-sauce-modulation), X-Y sliders, multi-point envelopes, and a better GUI. Here's a bad GUI mockup for fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Architeuthis wrote:I'm going straight for Spiral Generator 3 (releasing some time after the OSC is over). Meeting with my programmer tomorrow to discuss what is in the realm of possibility of feturesets. I'm hoping mainly for anything-to-anything modulation (including sending an LFO back into itself then back out to a number of parameters, for insanity-sauce-modulation), X-Y sliders, multi-point envelopes, and a better GUI. Here's a bad GUI mockup for fun.
Sounds EXCELLENT! My favorite patches were

envelope -> LFO parameters -> main parameters,

and I just used my DAW's envelope controller for the first step envelopes. If that's baked in, will add massive functionality to an already great plugin!
Just because it's insane doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
------------------------
Before visiting my Youtube channel or Soundcloud, make sure your affairs are in order. You just never know.

Nobody has to go overboard with the modulation scheme, but one lfo modulating another lfo is fine. Env to lfo is a must! But also Midi CC to lfo is a must, I'd say, on a monophonic synth you need all the tools you can get.

Out of curiosity: "your programmer"? Are you not the programmer? :| (I'm confused)

Return to “Instruments”