Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Caine123
KVRAF

4376 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

Speakerphone, RS-20 and Satin?

i wonder cause it's on sale atm :D thanks!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit
martinjuenke
KVRist

418 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 am Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

Satin is all you need. Waves tapes aren't that good.
Music was my first love ...
ambient music
http://www.mrtnjnk.bandcamp.com
exmatproton
KVRAF

1823 posts since 24 Apr, 2011

Postby exmatproton; Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 pm Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

martinjuenke wrote:Satin is all you need. Waves tapes aren't that good.

It..isn't a tape sim........
Niowiad
KVRist

40 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Postby Niowiad; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:07 pm Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

Caine123 wrote:Speakerphone, RS-20 and Satin?

i wonder cause it's on sale atm :D thanks!

I've had an eye on that thing for several months, today at $29 I had to buy it :help:
I also got RC-20 back when it was 50% off, but today I couldnt resist the individual control knobs for noise, crackles and clicks (which also vary with the different modeled hardware options) :borg:
cprompt
KVRian

575 posts since 17 Nov, 2010, from UK

Postby cprompt; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:26 pm Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

I didn't want to like it cos even though it was $24 it's still $24. I put it on a finished mix (because it's a finished mix you'd send to the cutter), dialled in some settings, volume matched, A/Bd back and forth and so on. Have to admit, it definitely added a little weight, depth and finesse to the mix that I liked. It's not an obvious, in-your-face effect like CLA Mixbus is, you have to dial it in to get the best from it, but there's a sweet-spot that when you hit it, it's "aaaahhh".
DJErmac
KVRist

298 posts since 25 Apr, 2009, from Fr

Postby DJErmac; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:28 pm Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

I simply LOVE Abbey Road Vinyl. It isn't that typical "lofi" vinyl plugin. It hads something more real. To me vinyl sound means crackles and noises, but also more heavy bass, more refined stereo dimension and unique high frequencies (granted, everything because of technical limitations). This one brings everything, and not only those ugly noises and crackles you can find anywhere with freeware plugins. This plugin is the only one that gives me the vinyl sound I was after. And the high frequencies of everything you run through it are insanely beautiful !
v1o
KVRian

799 posts since 1 Oct, 2004

Postby v1o; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:57 pm Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

I think it sounds like complete kak. I tried it on a variety of mixes in different genres and couldn't get a sound that I liked.

It's on sale right now for $29. I tried the demo. Does not sound like vinyl to me. It does not even do the M/S thing to narrow the image in order to get your song pressed on to vinyl. It doesn't even tame the low frequencies or heavy kicks drums as much as I would expect something would when it gets pressed on to vinyl. That is what the sound of vinyl is, the plugin should inherit all the inherent limitations of the format.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2
cprompt
KVRian

575 posts since 17 Nov, 2010, from UK

Postby cprompt; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 pm Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

DJErmac wrote:To me vinyl sound means ... more heavy bass

v1o wrote:It doesn't even tame the low frequencies

One man's meat is another man's poison!

I guess if you like the sort of thing it does, you're gonna like the plugin. If you don't, you won't. Pretty obvious really.
DJErmac
KVRist

298 posts since 25 Apr, 2009, from Fr

Postby DJErmac; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

cprompt wrote:
DJErmac wrote:To me vinyl sound means ... more heavy bass

v1o wrote:It doesn't even tame the low frequencies

One man's meat is another man's poison!

Actually when I say "more heavy bass" I was simply talking about the fact that the vinyl basses are more compressed. So the basses need to be tamed a lot, I perfectly agree with v1o on this point. It's just a matter of : enough tamed or not. :wink:

I have to admit that Abbey Road Vinyl is subtle. But that's why I love it. It's not gonna give you a huge bass from a flat bass. It's gonna give you your mix with just slightly more bass, a slightly more refined stereo dimension, and slightly more treble. Well, that's how I use it, and that's what I was looking for. It's one of my favourite sound enhancers ever, because it gives you exactly the same, but IMHO better in any way.
plexuss
KVRian

1188 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Postby plexuss; Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:21 pm Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

I use it all the time and it is excellent. I also have Satin, the other Waves tape sims, Slate VTM, Nomad Factory tape sims, Nebula tape sims, etc. I am a real tape and vinyl junkie.

Vinyl gets used on most of my tracks. On some tracks I don't like the sound.

Let me dig up some examples. These were mastered with Vinyl.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/ex ... ns-booster

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/th ... ilizations
soulone82
KVRian

681 posts since 16 Aug, 2010, from almost everywhere...

Postby soulone82; Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 am Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

plexuss wrote:I use it all the time and it is excellent.

+1 :tu:

plexuss wrote:I am a real tape and vinyl junkie.

Me too! :hug:
jens
KVRAF

18465 posts since 12 Jul, 2003, from West Caprazumia

Postby jens; Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 am Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

martinjuenke wrote:Satin is all you need. Waves tapes aren't that good.

The mind boggles at the sheer competence of your post...
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey
plexuss
KVRian

Postby plexuss; Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:08 am Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

I should point out that the tracks I posted have Vinyl close to the final limiter and are mixed 100% wet so what you are hearing is totally affected by Vinyl. I also used automaiton to move the tonearm acorss the "record" over the duration of the track. I can't say it emulates the effect of this in real life because a well set up turntable will exhibit little to no change in sound (even using a pivot tonearm). But since it's a feature built into Vinyl I decided to use it for good measure.

What do you think of the sound?
laggy
KVRer

22 posts since 6 Oct, 2004, from San Francisco, CA

Postby laggy; Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 am Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

plexuss wrote:I should point out that the tracks I posted have Vinyl close to the final limiter and are mixed 100% wet so what you are hearing is totally affected by Vinyl. I also used automaiton to move the tonearm acorss the "record" over the duration of the track. I can't say it emulates the effect of this in real life because a well set up turntable will exhibit little to no change in sound (even using a pivot tonearm). But since it's a feature built into Vinyl I decided to use it for good measure.

I like your tracks. Sounds like a record/vinyl to me.
plexuss
KVRian

Postby plexuss; Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:47 am Re: WAVES Abbey Road Vinyl recommended after having.......

laggy wrote:
plexuss wrote:I should point out that the tracks I posted have Vinyl close to the final limiter and are mixed 100% wet so what you are hearing is totally affected by Vinyl. I also used automaiton to move the tonearm acorss the "record" over the duration of the track. I can't say it emulates the effect of this in real life because a well set up turntable will exhibit little to no change in sound (even using a pivot tonearm). But since it's a feature built into Vinyl I decided to use it for good measure.

I like your tracks. Sounds like a record/vinyl to me.

Thanks! Vinyl gives that round bottom end and soft high end and warm mids that vinyl usually imparts. I wonder if/how they are emulating the RIAA curves - the approach to this can really affect the sound.

I have a new track and I was thinking tonight I'd master it through Vinyl and post both the non-Vinyl and Vinyl versions.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects