Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:Keep an eye out for a Guthrie Govan Rasmus, that's a killer guitar.

Always wanted one, but for what they go for used and not being hands-on I think I'm still going to get a Kiesel. (JFC hibucus, you've been saying that since forever!!!!! :hihi: )

Someday....

Someday you'll find that luthier who will tailor make a guitar for you with your exact specs. It will be everything you ever wanted, or thought you did Two days later you'll fall out of love and the search will begin again.

I think I've found mine. Matt Raines has a special deal where you spec out a jazz guitar and he'll build it for you
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

This Carvin is on eBay for $850 right now, it seems like a pretty great deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-guitar-G ... 1438.l2649

Nice.

Might just go classic white after all the fuss, also wondering about a raw tone with white.

Birdseye maple: Check (love the offset dots they have now, no "K" though). But I'd go black pups (just two buckers, maybe duncans), maybe a reverse headstock, hipshot contour*, and would like rounded knobs. Might just get one volume knob (since it's option 50 anyways)

So sweet. I've always heard great things about their Allan Holdsworth pickups, with people saying they're up there with the best PAF's. They're supposed to not be high gain, though.

lower gain can be good. it lets you add more. if you start out high gain, it might be more difficult to dial it back.

be that as it may, here's a pic of the Xiangqi guitars from Afanti Music:

on the one hand, they didn't show up 100% ready to go; but i'd say that 4 out of 6 of them were pretty much ready to go. the 'worst' was the midnight blue one; the screw holes for the pickup were stripped.

instead of filling the holes in, a Dimarzio Virtual P90 was installed. i bought this one because its holes were out 'on the edges' instead of 'toward the middle' as with most soapbars. ...gotta say, this Dimarzio sounds great.

all in all, Afanti gives a pretty good deal.

positives: choice of body shape and body wood, pickup configuration, wiring, pickguard, color, and custom heastock logo. this is all for less than $200 per unit.

negatives: the qc is not 100%, but it's not too bad.

anyway, that midnight blue one in the picture; with the installation of the virtual p90 it all of a sudden became 'special'... ymmv

i've got another soapbar on hand, which cost around $30... it too might be an upgrade over the stock pickup...

incubus wrote:Nice.

Might just go classic white after all the fuss, also wondering about a raw tone with white.

Birdseye maple: Check (love the offset dots they have now, no "K" though). But I'd go black pups (just two buckers, maybe duncans), maybe a reverse headstock, hipshot contour*, and would like rounded knobs. Might just get one volume knob (since it's option 50 anyways)
That's pretty , have you ever seen Vintage White ( vanilla cream ) color .an it's nice .

incubus wrote:Nice.

Stunning.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Xiangqi wrote:lower gain can be good. it lets you add more. if you start out high gain, it might be more difficult to dial it back.

be that as it may, here's a pic of the Xiangqi guitars from Afanti Music:

on the one hand, they didn't show up 100% ready to go; but i'd say that 4 out of 6 of them were pretty much ready to go. the 'worst' was the midnight blue one; the screw holes for the pickup were stripped.

instead of filling the holes in, a Dimarzio Virtual P90 was installed. i bought this one because its holes were out 'on the edges' instead of 'toward the middle' as with most soapbars. ...gotta say, this Dimarzio sounds great.

all in all, Afanti gives a pretty good deal.

positives: choice of body shape and body wood, pickup configuration, wiring, pickguard, color, and custom heastock logo. this is all for less than $200 per unit.

negatives: the qc is not 100%, but it's not too bad.

anyway, that midnight blue one in the picture; with the installation of the virtual p90 it all of a sudden became 'special'... ymmv

i've got another soapbar on hand, which cost around $30... it too might be an upgrade over the stock pickup...
I love those colors.

I close. I really want to wait until the mid of next month to order, with a likely finish day of roughly 7 weeks. Good for two reasons: More time to stash the rest of the cash when finished and it will be cooler (it's only shipping from SD, but still, it's just so so so SO hot )

Dudes/dudettes, I dare you not to have at least 80% of these traits :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ0_lyiBlVg

For me the checking the relief and blues licks are pretty much the biggies here :oops: I can never play anything good when I'm in a guitar center.

2, 4, 5, 7, but no stank face

I haven't been in a GC since 1992 and really don't expect ever to return. I saw a lot of funky stuff going on while there and I've heard a lot of weirder stuff too. This one time a guy I knew was trying out at guitar. Said he'd take it. Sales guy takes the guitar back to find a case for it. All nice and locked up tight in the case the sale is completed and the guy goes home. Different guitar in the case then the one he tried out.

As for trying out guitars. I usually come in with a plan. First I play every note chromatically. Checking for dead spots and fret buzz. Then I'll bend notes on every string and hear how they resonate. Then I'll play with some slides. Finally I'll play a song I already know well that is inline with the guitar I'm buying. I don't play jazz standards on LP or strat style guitars. And I don't try to shred on a jazz box.

I suck majorly at electric , here's how I demo . I plug into some Line6 or small emulation amp that's not loud , then it's pentatonic blues scale check fret buzzes and action , some Andy Summers ( the police ) type chords , some major and minor chords , e d g a b to fool around with , then it's drop d and some power chords and one finger chug chug chug fest a little on the distortion .. I may even throw it into dadgad ... I suck at electric but if I like the tone , feel , of both guitar and amp I tend to play better .

So like most of us, you do similar :hihi:

I just laughed with the checking the relief. It's the second thing I do (the first is checking the fret edges, it's bone dry here most of the time to fretboard shrinkage is a big problem)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”