Synth / MIDI keyboard controller combination ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello

I am toying with idea of buying this sort of combination - the hardware fun of a synth & also MIDI controller for my DAW.

Does such a thing exist, and if so any recommendations ?

It seems there a plenty of funky MIDI controller keyboards out there, but none can really offer dedicated control of all a software synth's parameters in realtime e.g. only a selection.

I Googled this briefly and found Novation X-Station but this seems rather old now (and presumably not made anymore ?)..

Thanks
Last edited by basic channel on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If God did exist (and he doesn't) he would answer to the name of Maurizio

Well, I mean synth modules are a thing, so...

Not exactly sure how you'd go about connecting the two to each other, but if I'm not grossly mistaken, the pattern would basically be "input > output" and "output > input" with two MIDI cables. But then, I'd not listen to me if I were you. I don't even own a MIDI controller, let alone a synth. :P
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

X-Station, XioSynth were Novations synth/midi controllers. Stuff like Moog SUB 37 can transmit midi from its knobs. Nord Leads can do the same.

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote:Well, I mean synth modules are a thing, so...

Not exactly sure how you'd go about connecting the two to each other, but if I'm not grossly mistaken, the pattern would basically be "input > output" and "output > input" with two MIDI cables. But then, I'd not listen to me if I were you. I don't even own a MIDI controller, let alone a synth. :P
You need stuff with midi thru if you plan to piggy back your synths, or a midi-splitter.

basic channel wrote:
I Googled this briefly and found Novation X-Station but this seems rather old now (and presumably not made anymore ?)..

Thanks
I own the 61 key one and it's well worth having. I believe it was discontinued around 2009. It's a VA but I really like the synth engine and the keys aren't to bad either. Loads of knobs and faders too :-)

Shouldn't cost much these days :wink:

What DAW are you using?

I think the best aproach would be something like the Launchcontrol XL if you want control for volume faders and sends plus a Synth with tons of controls that you can map to some plug ins, for example the Roland System 8.

Personally I like Push for Ableton Live, I ilkike that kind of deep integration, other option is Maschine by NI.
dedication to flying

Any synth with a midi out (or USB midi out) can act as a controller keyboard for plugins.

It depends on the kind of music and how you expect a pleasant productive workflow to go.

I do not know about needs of modern fashionable electronica or whatever it is called. Maybe would need a knobby controller paired with an analog or virtual analog synth.

Am also ignorant of the sheer variety of options available. Possibly a Roland Fa06 or Fa08 would be workable and they are not real expensive. Depending on whether you need 61 or 88 keys they are otherwise identical.

I have not connected it via usb in "daw mode" or whatever it is called. The manuals are downloadable for study. I read the manual awhile ago but may mis-remember some details.

So far as I recall, when using the usb connection and roland driver, you can use the play/stop/record buttons on the keyboard to control the daw. It has 6 knobs and 4 banks of functions can be controlled by the knobs. Not all of the knob banks can be user-customized as best I recall. You push a button to switch knob banks and the active bank is indicated by LED.

IIRC in usb daw mode, the USB sends/receives both audio and MIDI so that any tracks midi sequenced into the daw can be easily audio recorded via usb back into daw audio tracks. No need to fool with mixers and audio interfaces and midi interfaces to capture midi tracks back to the daw as audio tracks. So far as I recall. I assume it works about the same as whatever is described in the manual becaus the instrument has been sold several years and I don't recall reading user complaints about its daw mode functionality. Maybe a user interested in that functionality should google for user complaints about those features to make sure.

The synth has 128 tone functionality, depending on the sound engine in use. It has "supernatural" engines for ac piano, el piano, strings, ac guitar, ac and el bass, drums and drawbar organ.

It has pcm sound engine expanded features along the lines of jv880, 1080, 5080, etc. The pcm engine contains most of the waveforms from previous roland romplers, plus two software "expansion slots" and you can download free about all of the old expansion cards, and install your choice of two of those cards. PCM voices can use up to four sampled waveforms, each oscillator with its own envelopes, filters, lfos etc. There is also a complete jv/xv style pf pcm drums waves and drumset programming features.

It has a "supernatural synth" 3 oscillator virtual analog engine. Each oscillator with its own filter, envelopes, etc. Several kinds of filter selectable, etc. Tastes can vary in sound and many prefer to program with lots of knobs rather than screen and cursor buttons and data wheel. I don't mind buttons and data wheel.

From my experimentation with FA06 SN VA programming, am convinced that I can program the thang to get "close enough for rock'n'roll" to whatever analog synth sound I would want to use. But there may be many sounds I'd never want to use, impossible to approximate on the SN engine. Dunno.

Last year was "remastering" and chopping up ancient 1980's synth mixes to shorten play time and make the arrangements less boring. I needed to record new transitional parts atop the old mixes to better hide splice points. I made FA06 synth patches which sounded "real close" to old sounds in the mixes originally tracked with ESQ-1 and Rhodes Chroma Polaris. The new added parts sounded like the old parts from long ago and matched the old songs.

Maybe there are lots of better options for what you need. Am only explaining what I think I know which is not much.

I found a user review of using fa06 in daw mode- http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... s-daw.html

One bug he mentions sounds to me a fairly common bug-- Losing audio interface connectivity after computer sleep. Requiring computer reboot to get sound working again. Maybe not all interfaces and computers have that issue, but it is fairly common.

I've seen the issue over years on more than one interface, on both mac and pc. In some cases perhaps fixable by going to the computer power settings and tell the computer not to turn off usb power when sleeping. However even that might not always work. My current firewire focusrite interface does it, so I just turn off the computer when done rather than letting it sleep.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”