RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvkawWf_ps

there will be a MIDI only version too

dave

dave dove wrote:The other alternative is five12 numerology
This is Mac only. I am on a PC/Windows.
Zombie Queen wrote:How about Kontakt?
No Kontakt. Probably will buy NI Komplete in the future.

Maybe something like https://www.dynamictonality.com/xronomorph.htm ?
While not a VST itself(it can host them)it is fairly painless to route the midi or audio from it to a DAW via virtual cables.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

+1 for Xronomorph. Definitely worth playing around with for a freebie, but, keep in mind, it is a standalone application.

I'm using FL Studio primarily and I'm quite sure that you can do polyrhythms more than easy in any DAW.
Not only that but you can create absolutely irrational rhythms and make things to loop.

For example, here are several clips in different time signatures:

Now, in piano roll you can set the length of your clip by adding time marker and setting it to "Pattern length" and when you stretch your clip in Playlist you will notice that FL Studio is showing you markers, "blue arrows", marking the length of your clip.

You can even make irrational rhythms, by turning off snapping in piano roll and setting the length of your clip however you want:

then in Playlist you set snapping to "Events" and when you move clips (patterns) in Playlist, FL Studio will ignore everything and it will detect edges of clips to snap them next to each other, the clip you are snapping to will turn to purple:

Basically, you can do whatever you want, you can make irrational rhythms to loop...if that makes sense.

You can place 5/4 next to 7/8 clip, below them you can place 3/4 and next to it 7/8,
below all of that you can have clips with irrational rhythms, etc.

I don't have any idea why would you use anything than piano roll and your DAW when Geist is working just like any drum machine (Microtonic, Addictive Drums, etc.) and you can place notes into piano roll...

Now, the most common problem which people generally have in most cases is that they see playlist set to 4/4 while clips are in 7/8, 5/4, whatever, and they think that something's wrong.
The only thing that matters is that your clips are snapping next to each other and everything else is just a visual issue and literally nothing else.
I mean, basically the same thing you can do in Reaper, to set the lengths of clips however you want and still having playlist set to 4/4.
I was talking about how to do things in FL Studio but I'm 100% sure that all other DAW's can do the same thing, maybe with slightly different approach...

brainzistor wrote:I'm 100% sure that all other DAW's can do the same thing, maybe with slightly different approach...
Thanks for a great post!

Similarly, in MuLab I can divide a bar into any number of beats (2, 3, 4... 11, 12, 13 or no grid at all), and each sequence can be different. I can play different patterns in a rhythm, and then quantize them to the grid. Personally, I prefer this hands-on approach over a plugin.

(However, XronoMorph is an extremely well-designed playground that closely follows Toussaint's cool rhythm diagrams and helps me see things differently!)
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Soniccouture Konkrete, or Electro acoustic. I have konkrete, it's grest. A Kontakt instrument, doesn't require full kontact.

Also i think maybe xils Stix?
https://youtu.be/VyFHPUTL4X4?t=50s

If you like the iPad workflow, there's the highly-regarded app Patterning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeMTQYyvrWs
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

tl wrote:Maybe Modulys?!
tl.
Tried the demo of Modulys. Got polyrhythms out of it, but the patterns are just looping. Got no euclidean rhythms out of it....
Frostline wrote:Maybe something like xronomorph? While not a VST itself(it can host them)it is fairly painless to route the midi or audio from it to a DAW via virtual cables.
I prefer a vst.
Musical Gym wrote:Soniccouture.com Box-of-tricks
Euclidean Beats is probably not a vst midi step sequencer plug-in with the ability to program different pitches. Soniccouture has some nice products by the way :)

@brainzistor: Thanks for your well documented reply, but I don't get it and don't know if Cubase can do it....
Michael L wrote:...Similarly, in MuLab I can divide a bar into any number of beats (2, 3, 4... 11, 12, 13 or no grid at all), and each sequence can be different. I can play different patterns in a rhythm, and then quantize them to the grid. Personally, I prefer this hands-on approach over a plugin...
Me too, wish Cubase worked that way!
someone called simon wrote:Soniccouture Konkrete, or Electro acoustic. I have konkrete, it's grest. A Kontakt instrument, doesn't require full kontact...
See the answer to Musical Gym.
someone called simon wrote:...Also i think maybe xils Stix?
Probably also no vst midi plug-in sequencer with different pitches. Quiet unique though to set the number of steps for each beat.

Well, there is certainly a need for a Euclidean Rhythm VST!
BTW, there is a 32-bit euclidean sequencer, Eckel
http://www.shuriken.se/?page_id=97
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote:If you like the iPad workflow, there's the highly-regarded app Patterning
No iPad here.
Michael L wrote:Well, there is certainly a need for a Euclidean Rhythm VST!
BTW, there is a 32-bit euclidean sequencer, Eckel
http://www.shuriken.se/?page_id=97
I have a 64bit DAW.
dave dove wrote:...sorry to bang on about this but
it seems you can't find what you want
so maybe you will have to invest in something that will....
Maybe...still searching :D

Oh my, Xronomorph is fantastic! Many thanks for the tip.

Return to “Instruments”