Syntronik [update March 2018: New T-03 Bonus Content & 4-for-1 bass synth promo] available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syntronik 1

Anyhow, how does it compare to the UVI mega synth collection thing as surely that is what its market is and it's nearest competitor. All this " is it a rompler, sampler or synth crap" is just simantics and one upmanship. Will certainly try the demo, I love using the UVI libs in Falcon as it expands the sonic palette hugely. Love to hear comparisons from users of both.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote:Anyhow, how does it compare to the UVI mega synth collection thing as surely that is what its market is and it's nearest competitor.
Pricewise, less than half
GUI can be resized, UVI can't
Any need for iLOK, no (IKM allows authorization on up to 10 different computers)
CPU load is less
FX section is better, it even includes dedicated GUI's for each box in the free version.

I think UVI need to jack up their game :borg:

France 0 - Italy 1 :wink:

Russell Grand wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
spacekid wrote:
Lets dance wrote:
spacekid wrote: I say 'for soft synths that all sound the same, there are a lot of threads..nothing new' but that's why I would rather have samples...to each his own.
not all of them sounds the same, that's not true
Right back at you with your comment then..it's not nothing new, that's not true.
Okay, you say that all soft synths sound the same.

Please tell me how this...

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... torycyclop

Sounds like this...

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... 50-samples

If they sound the same to you, I suggest you have your hearing checked.
:hihi: :clap:
Didn''t even listen , cause I can't online..but, you'll just ignore the truth of the thread..my point was to turn around what the original OP said..don't really care about it really...but I get it, you guys have no life other than picking sides online, what a hobby.

yes well all know it wasn't meant as compliment.

cpu load for syntronik is def more than uvi on my end, at least the ones that I've tested. uvi actually has some more synth like instruments too though. like the ultramini where the oscillators have been sampled and you can make patches from scratch. They both sound great but syntronik def has more going for it and there is a a lot of variation between the uvi stuff

spacekid wrote:Didn''t even listen , cause I can't online..but, you'll just ignore the truth of the thread..my point was to turn around what the original OP said..don't really care about it really...but I get it, you guys have no life other than picking sides online, what a hobby.
+1 I have some light version of tinnitus, so I will never make a claim about what sounds the best as my ears aint up for it :(

systmu wrote:cpu load for syntronik is def more than uvi on my end, at least the ones that I've tested. uvi actually has some more synth like instruments too though. like the ultramini where the oscillators have been sampled and you can make patches from scratch. They both sound great but syntronik def has more going for it and there is a a lot of variation between the uvi stuff
What kind of system are you on? I use Windows 10, 8GB RAM, i5 processor

UVI Ultramini is great, but it fries my system, if I dont' use the LE version.

Syntronik yields a much less CPU load.

win 10 16gb i7. it may be my daw. Nope I loaded some stuff in reaper the first syntronik and first ultramini arp and played a single line melody and syntronik is almost double uvi cpu usage in performance meter *shrug* Just idle syntronik is 3 x %

Actually the first I said when trying syntronik is damn this uses a lot of cpu for a rompler.

Yeah there is too much variation of quality between the uvi vintage vault instruments. Some of them are great (ultramini) but some are pretty bad. I would go syntronik all the way!!!

Well, I downloaded the free version and created an IK account to do it. I guess you get $5 in jam points just for doing that LOL. It's about a 1GB download if that hasn't been discussed and it came down quickly enough so IK seems to be keeping up with the load.

The only reason that I downloaded this was to check out the filters. I'm just going to say this, you can slap a label like "circuit modeled" on anything and nobody really knows any better, it's like calling something organic. I have three of the four modeled analog filters in my studio in analog hardware, and, of course, Diva and, IMNSHO, there's a LOT of work to do on those filters. As much as I hate to say this, I think that the Arturia filters have more character.

To my ears. the effects are really dominating the quality of the sounds. Try the J60 Strings Light patch in the free version and turn off the reverb and ensemble and see if you don't agree.

It's also pretty clear that, at least in the free version, there's really not much exploitation of the moduled filters and the modulation. Most of that is coming from the original patches. None of the patches that I previewed had much, if any, filter modulation.

For those struggling with the U/I, it's really rather straightforward, each of the sections has a state and if that state is on you see that instead of the currently selected synth layer. So, if the browser state is on you will see that, turn it off and you will immediately see the currently selected layer for either the synth, the effects, the arp. The split/layer page will also affect the state, if it's on you will see it instead of the synth but selecting the browser icon to disable it while the split page is active will reset the state. Play with those two buttons (split/layer and browser) to get the hang of it. I don't think that there is a bug there at all, it works fine here.

Numanoid wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:Anyhow, how does it compare to the UVI mega synth collection thing as surely that is what its market is and it's nearest competitor.
Pricewise, less than half
Contentwise, roughly twice...depending on how one counts and what one counts. I don't know whether or not the IK samples are compressed on disk. However, the number of patches is roughly twice, the number of instruments is similar, except that the UVI product also contains ar large number of drum machines.
Size : 63 GB (FLAC lossless encoding, was 116 GB in WAV)
Collection : Vintage Synth Bundle
Content : 36 instruments, 5,000+ presets
GUI can be resized, UVI can't
Any need for iLOK, no (IKM allows authorization on up to 10 different computers)
CPU load is less
FX section is better, it even includes dedicated GUI's for each box in the free version.
All fair points but things like iLok and CPU load are going to be something that users weigh differently.

In defense of UVI here, their bundle is a collection of existing products where each one has been carefully constructed over time. I don't have the bundle but I do use their products and I do think that their products are of high quality. That said, I think that all of this sample stuff is way overpriced and I only buy them at bargain basement pricing levels.

I don't think that you can underestimate the value of being able to load samples in Falcon. With the IK products, AFAIK, you can't load them into anything else other than Sampletank. So begin able to use the samples in a better synthesis environment certainly has value.
I think UVI need to jack up their game :borg:
Maybe, I'm not as convinced as you that the difference is that large.

If I were going to spend this kind of money on samples of analog synths I'd definitely prefer the UVI collection which is more diverse and can be used in Falcon, however, it's too expensive (as is the regular price of syntronik) so I'd only buy it on a killer sale.

YMMV.

ghettosynth wrote:and can be used in Falcon
Falcon? Then you need to jack the total price of UVI up another 2/3

While with IKM a user can even import SampleTank 3 libs into Syntronik, no extra charge.

My conclusion: Are you an UVI fanboi, or just got a problem with IKM?

Before I start sounding like a fanboi......

Did IK just release a synth in 2017 that doesn't respond to Aftertouch ? I'm not finding any way to assign AT to Vibrato. Unless I'm just missing it...... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Numanoid wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:and can be used in Falcon
Falcon? Then you need to jack the total price of UVI up another 2/3
The person asking the question has Falcon and specifically brought it up as a point of interest.
While with IKM a user can even import SampleTank 3 libs into Syntronik, no extra charge.

My conclusion: Are you an UVI fanboi, or just got a problem with IKM?
LOL, I'm no UVI fanboi mate. I'm simply weighing the two products within the context asked about. It should be pretty clear by now that I don't think that the Syntronik environment is a powerful synthesizer, comparing it to Falcon is silly. IK has nothing like Falcon at all. On the other hand, the content in Vintage Vault is comparable, and, covers a wider ground than Syntronik.

For me, being able to load sample content into a powerful environment is important, so I understand the question that was asked. I think that products like Kontakt, Falcon, Halion, etc., offer something much more powerful than simple romplers like Syntronik.

YMMV.

ghettosynth wrote:comparing it to Falcon is silly.
Good to agree about something.

Teksonik wrote:Before I start sounding like a fanboi......

Did IK just release a synth in 2017 that doesn't respond to Aftertouch ? I'm not finding any way to assign AT to Vibrato. Unless I'm just missing it...... :?
I use aftertouch a lot and was not able to find it supported in Syntronik, so it appears yes. Peter? Aftertouch? Peter?

Numanoid wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:comparing it to Falcon is silly.
Good to agree about something.
You don't seriously see Syntronik as a more powerful synthesizer than Falcon do you? I can't quite tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

Also, about the effects, yes, IK's effects are decent and easy to use. However, the difference is not as stark as one makes it out to be, even without Falcon. The UVI Workstation allows one to add a number of effects in their much more flexible rack than Syntronik does. I think that many of the UVI effects are certainly comparable, if not better. Granted, it's not as convenient as the IK "rack", but it's not as simple either.

Further, the UVI Workstation multi has two AUX sends and adjustable layers per part. These aren't really new ideas though, these features should be in Syntronik. If you go back to the early part of this thread we were asking about how the effects would work. It was certainly a bit surprising when Peter announced that there were no busses.

Even without Falcon I think that UVI is the winner in terms of the overall multi environment with effects. I think that the only edge Syntronik has here is convenience and workflow for simpler configurations.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of criticism of UVI products including the fact that they also create U/Is just to make something look the part when it doesn't really do much in a functional sense. I'm just not convinced that the value is as different as you initially portrayed it to be.

If I was forced to buy one of these products at full price today, I'd grumpily buy the UVI Anthology.

Return to “Instruments”