Recommend me some $50 speakers for computer?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a pair of powered speakers for my PC. I've got about $50 to play with. I've been looking at the Logitech Z200. Currently using Creative A60s, any better ideas please?

I'd get something with a subwoofer, how about these: https://www.amazon.de/Logitech-Z333-Mul ... words=z313 I have some older Logitech X-210's, and i'm quite happy with them. I think they cost about 30-35 €, and sound pretty ok for listening to music, and gaming.

I am not so sure a subwoofer is a good idea when making music. Such systems probably exaggerate the bass.

$50 is very little money, I doubt you get good speakers for that amount.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am not so sure a subwoofer is a good idea when making music. Such systems probably exaggerate the bass.
You're right, but i wouldn't get some $50 speakers for music making anyway, so i thought it were more general purpose speakers. And, yeah, most surely will exaggerate the bass nowadays, that's how it is.

Edifier gets good reviews, they sell simple speakers for $69, the R980T.

A Motivational Speaker
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I've just had a friend recommend these, but they're not to my taste visually: http://www.harmankardon.co.uk/computer- ... S+III.html

Pytchblend wrote:they're not to my taste visually:
I can very well comprehend that. :P

I use these - bought in 2014. Do all my recording, mixing and mastering with them. :o :o :o (some of us have no choice - these or nothing. :shrug: )
$69... [edit] cheaper if you shop around.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/s ... ystem-z323

Everything on my Soundcloud/Bandcamp pages were done on these speakers. Good or bad? Who knows.

[edit]
chk071 wrote:I'd get something with a subwoofer, how about these: https://www.amazon.de/Logitech-Z333-Mul ... words=z313 I have some older Logitech X-210's, and i'm quite happy with them. I think they cost about 30-35 €, and sound pretty ok for listening to music, and gaming.
Just noticed - these are the replacement for the ones I mentioned. :dog:

I have those! The z200 I mean! I use them everyday for games and general listening (for more than 2 years now!). They have a good nice sound, but they lack bass of course. Anyway, they are not used when I make music because of the lack of bass, but for accurate bass, one needs expensive monitors.

For the price, I love them. They are better than my headphones if I want to mix on them! I always compare between the HS7 and the z200, and the high/middle frequency is really near! They are a good start IMO, and no need to get rid of them in the future even when getting a pro or semi-pro monitors ;)

I don't have good monitors, either. And I doubt they are necessary. For analytic listening, i.e. when checking for clipping and other problems, my headphones do a great job. And for checking whether it simply sounds good on normal devices, a stereo or boombox will do.
I think it was Quincy Jones that said that he always checks his productions on a mediocre stereo. After all, that's what most people use to listen to music.

fluffy_little_something wrote: I think it was Quincy Jones that said that he always checks his productions on a mediocre stereo. After all, that's what most people use to listen to music.
He may check his mixes on a mediocre stereo, but you can be sure he doesn't mix on one.

Probably not, but I don't think it's necessary to use expensive monitors. I think monitors are mostly for checking the stereo and pan stuff, which is often very different on headphones because of the unnatural separation of the headphone drivers.

Anyway, I think if I had to get Logitech 2.0 speakers, I would get the Z130 rather than the Z200 because I see little point in the double driver configuration on the Z200. Instead the Z130 have a deeper housing and judging from the dimensions also a bigger driver (albeit just one instead of two). Despite having a driver fewer, the Z130 are just slightly cheaper than the Z200, which also suggests that the Z130 are actually better.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: I think it was Quincy Jones that said that he always checks his productions on a mediocre stereo. After all, that's what most people use to listen to music.
He may check his mixes on a mediocre stereo, but you can be sure he doesn't mix on one.
I agree.

Fluffy, have you tried mixing a song with your headphones? If you have done that, try to listen to it with normal speakers or stereo. You'll be lucky if you can get something sounds good similar to what you did on headphones especially the bass but not only.

Good monitors are not for showing or decoration! The main usage of them is to get mixes that translates well in every system (including headphones).

It also makes music making, or listening to music so much more fun. :ud: But, some bad speakers can absolutely mess up the end result, as some speakers just produce mush, in the bass area, where it's really necessary to have some good separation, to be able to divide the instruments, or sounds. Hence it will be very counterproductive.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”