My drum beats never sound great... help?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Firstly drums are my weak point :(

I'm trying to expand my library music genres and try some different ideas, but I'm having difficulty with making and mixing drum tracks/beats.

I use Logic Pro X and although it has a really good drummer plugin and drum machine my modern, funk or jazz tracks end up deleted as I'm just not happy with them. The drums either don't lift the track or sit well.

I am wondering about just using ready made beats for modern funk and jazz and fitting other instruments around them?

Thanks

You're wondering? Just give it a try!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I use drum breaks all the time. Try chopping up and rearranging them to fit your music, rather than vice-versa. If your programmed stuff sounds a little stiff or unrealistic, there are groove tools to humanize your midi. Some DAWs have them built-in.

Thanks...

Try to simplify your patterns, mute (or delete) all "embelishments", ghost notes etc. Start from very simple patterns, from "carcasses" that fit your music completely . Then add modifications, variations etc. that fit your music too.

Sometimes the drums SEEM not sitting well when we listen for them too attentively. I'm shure, if you listen (very-very attentively) for the drums in the music of the others the effect will be the same ("they don't sit well"). Sometimes it's very important not to focus on details. Don't listen to the parts, try listen to the whole.

Return to “Sound Design”