Syntronik [update March 2018: New T-03 Bonus Content & 4-for-1 bass synth promo] available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syntronik 1

wagtunes wrote: So the truth is, given the nature of "commercial" music, and I stress the word "commercial" there is almost no reason to go beyond synth presets.
Agreed 100%

Maybe a separate thread where discussions about the actual use of Syntronik, tips, tricks, sounds etc can take place.

This senseless argument about what it is or isn't or what it can or can't do will go on here.

Anyway like I said this synth......yes,sample based synth....is a lot of fun and can provide a surprisingly wide range of sounds given it's limited editing/modulation capability...if you have any kind of imagination. If that can't be seen then I say the observer is myopic. :wink:

Back on topic........Peter about the Aftertouch. Is it possible to assign AT to Vibrato ?

If we're taking feature requests for the future a full featured Mod Matrix (and global LFOs) would be most welcome here as would a global Mixer tab.

Also speaking of the future....obviously the framework exists to sell individual instruments so any idea on what synth will be next in the collection ? Again if we're taking requests an Ensoniq VFX module would be nice. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

IncarnateX wrote:Back on track: Once again nice demos plexuss, did you use overdrive or distortion on purpose here on the first part? We are still in prefabed Vintage Classics land, but since this is the main purpose of the player mission is accomplished as far as that goes.
I did not use distortion. I used the presets in the Syntronik library and tweeked some of the effects, either leaving them as-is or adding a delay and adjusting levels DOWN. Further, I adijusted the layer levels down. I did not put a limiter on the mix buss and dropped the levels so that it did not peak over -1dBFS.

I hear the distortion you hear and I think it's happening within the effects. I didn't bother to spend time to track it down. One reason was because this is what you get with Syntronik... there are definitely some problems.

Pull up The Swan Sings... This is what I used for the lead in the first part. I added a tape echo after the DDL. You can hear there is some wonkiness in this patch. I think partly its the LFO mod of pitch, plus it seems like the DDL which is being used a doubler is adding some distortion. Then the tape delay I added distorts more. Its more of an IM kind of distortion. I have heard this on other patches as well. So you have to listen carefully and try and tweek the distortions out of the sounds. Its a bit of a chore.

Looking into it further: there are defiitely problems with Syntronik... for example with The Swan Sings... you'll see the LFO is modulating pitch and pan. Listen closely and you can hear some weird audio artifacts. Turn the pitch mod down slowly while listening to a note. you can still hear the issues. Then slowly set pan to 0 while listening. turn pan up a bit and back down. there is this weird IM distortion and clicking... this is all getting accentuated with the effects creating a sense of distortion.

IK...?? Can we have this fixed, plus after touch support and an octave adjustment on the oscilator? its very difficult to dial in an exact octave.
Now I do wonder if the "customize your own synth" acclaimed features are able to take it beyond that or if that turns out to be marketing labels only.
Not really. I can't approach Syntronik as a synth - the sound parameters are not powerful enough to allow me to take a sample beyond what it already is. I find the timing on the envelopes to be... odd and hard to work with. I think the filters are... meh. The effects are really nice however. So for me, so far, the sounds I can get are solidly sit in the context of the original samples with some tonal adjustment, envelope and effects. The library provided is not bad and there is a good range of sounds in there but in terms of being able to synthesize with Syntronik... no. Sound design is also limited to the sound library and layering. Not that all this is bad... it is what it is, which makes sense because its sample based.
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Saukar30 wrote:Lol its a rompler
I'm not sure it's a rompler. To me it seems more like a plain old sample library.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:To me it seems more like a plain old sample library.
Then you're not looking at the whole picture. It's a 4 Osc (Layer) Synth whose Oscs are sample based. There are Per Layer Arp/Seqs and per layer FX (hint). Yes the editing and modulation capabilities are limited compared to the synths that were sampled but to be honest many of those hardware synths are limited.

I've got just about every synth from Alchemy to Z3ta+2 so if I want something that allows extensive editing/modulation I have many to choose from. Anyway I'm going to go back and make some more sounds with Syntronik now....tons of fun.... :hyper:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Then you're not looking at the whole picture. It's a 4 Osc (Layer) Synth whose Oscs are sample based.
No, it's not...

No matter how much you delude yourself...

Teksonik wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:To me it seems more like a plain old sample library.
Then you're not looking at the whole picture. It's a 4 Osc (Layer) Synth whose Oscs are sample based. There are Per Layer Arp/Seqs and per layer FX (hint). Yes the editing and modulation capabilities are limited compared to the synths that were sampled but to be honest many of those hardware synths are limited.

I've got just about every synth from Alchemy to Z3ta+2 so if I want something that allows extensive editing/modulation I have many to choose from. Anyway I'm going to go back and make some more sounds with Syntronik now....tons of fun.... :hyper:
Except, and I'll take the simplest example I can come up with, given the actual Minimoog and Syntronik's Minimoog, there are things you can do on the real one that you simply can't do with Syntronik's because the controls aren't there. End of story.

So even something as simple as a Minimoog is more versatile than Syntronik's version of the Minimoog.

wagtunes wrote:So even something as simple as a Minimoog is more versatile than Syntronik's version of the Minimoog.
I concur. I have a minimoog right here and can attest to this.
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btw are there any alternative skins for SampleTank 3? Brighter / colors

^^^^
'Fraid not
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Teksonik wrote:Maybe a separate thread where discussions about the actual use of Syntronik, tips, tricks, sounds etc can take place.

This senseless argument about what it is or isn't or what it can or can't do will go on here.
Back on topic........Peter about the Aftertouch. Is it possible to assign AT to Vibrato ?
+1000
Real questions, comments from actual users are getting lost in the side talk and posturing. :lol: I mean seriously... If Syntronik isn't your cup of tea, great. Make your point and move on. Constantly coming back to this thread and justifying your reasons is just sad.

Peter: What about aftertouch? Is there a way of mapping my controller's aftertouch to Syntronik's Filter Frequency, LFO, etc? That would be wonderful.. Has anyone figured that out yet? I see a post on the IK forums, and a couple here . . but they've been met with crickets chirping, and tumbleweeds... :wink:

Just to be clear - you guys do mean Poly (Note) Aftertouch (message type 10), not Channel Pressure (message type 13)?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:Just to be clear - you guys do mean Poly (Note) Aftertouch (message type 10), not Channel Pressure (message type 13)?
Both

Teksonik wrote: Then you're not looking at the whole picture. It's a 4 Osc (Layer) Synth whose Oscs are sample based.

Disregarding what everybody else may think of here, this definition would only make sense to me if the layers actually are comprised of sampled raw waveforms that I can choose myself (e.g. a moog saw, triangle and pulze) and build up as a 100% customizable sound by enveloping and filtering just like I would with a VA with real time calculated waveforms or a wavetable synth with raw read-only waveforms. In my Sampletank for iPad this is not the case. What I am filtrering are already made patches, that is, I cannot change their waveforms and they have already been filtered and enveloped once and I can only filter/envelope them a second time. Now I am on vacation without PC (writing from my iPad) and cannot download Syntronic myself, but I take that it is exactly the same principle as Sampletank just with a few more controls, thus "second hand" filtering and enveloping only, no matter how many layers of prefabed patches. Can someone plz confirm or reject this assumption once and for all?

plexuss wrote:
DarkStar wrote:Just to be clear - you guys do mean Poly (Note) Aftertouch (message type 10), not Channel Pressure (message type 13)?
Both
+1 ... but would happily live with Poly / non-channel.. [Showing Ignorance Mode] If ... that means, same aftertouch applied across all keys... not individually sensitive.

Return to “Instruments”