DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Here is why I sold Dune 2 : the sound of Dune 1 was very special, very agressive, highly powerful. Dune 2 sound engine was too clean, and I felt disappointed when I compared it to Dune 1. So I thought I'd better just keep Dune 1 that has this very special sound and get another more powerful synth instead. There's nothing more than this : Dune 1 stands out in the crowd more easily imho. But I know Dune 2 is more versatile, more powerful and has a superior quality sound engine, of course.

Now, what I remember is that Dune 2 was quite good as long as I accept that it's not supposed to have the exact same character as Dune 1... I think I will also have to get it back from the Market Place EnGee... :D
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Is Dune 3 a similar jump like Dune to Dune2? If i read rightly Dune 2 is rewritten from Scratch.D3 too?

recursive one wrote:Just got the newsletter, the cinematic soundset is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaS916C ... e=youtu.be

http://www.synapse-audio.com/dune2cinematic.html
Sounds cold and spacey, ideal for Sci-Fi movies.

DJErmac wrote:Here is why I sold Dune 2 : the sound of Dune 1 was very special, very agressive, highly powerful. Dune 2 sound engine was too clean, and I felt disappointed when I compared it to Dune 1. So I thought I'd better just keep Dune 1 that has this very special sound and get another more powerful synth instead. There's nothing more than this : Dune 1 stands out in the crowd more easily imho. But I know Dune 2 is more versatile, more powerful and has a superior quality sound engine, of course.

Now, what I remember is that Dune 2 was quite good as long as I accept that it's not supposed to have the exact same character as Dune 1... I think I will also have to get it back from the Market Place EnGee... :D
Mhhh....personal preferences. I always found Dune 2 can sound as harsh, soft, brutal, clear, dirty etc. as any other synth. But every one to it´s own of course.

I did not express my idea correctly. Actually, by "clean" I mean "generic" sounding, it's a pure matter of character. To me Dune 1 sounds unique and recognizable, Dune 2 sounds just like any other clean, -"perfect" if this word can make sense- synth could sound, that's why I kept only Dune 1 that has its unique sound that I find dirty and agressive. And instead I saved for synths I consider more powerful, such as Rapid, Avenger, Halion and Falcon that also sound generic ("perfect") but add resynthesis, multi-samples...

But yes, that's absolutely true, Dune 2 can sound as harsh and dirty as any other synth can, I totally agree.

DJErmac wrote:I did not express my idea correctly. Actually, by "clean" I mean "generic" sounding, it's a pure matter of character. To me Dune 1 sounds unique and recognizable, Dune 2 sounds just like any other clean, -"perfect" if this word can make sense- synth could sound, that's why I kept only Dune 1 that has its unique sound that I find dirty and agressive. And instead I saved for synths I consider more powerful, such as Rapid, Avenger, Halion and Falcon that also sound generic ("perfect") but add resynthesis, multi-samples...

But yes, that's absolutely true, Dune 2 can sound as harsh and dirty as any other synth can, I totally agree.
I understand :)
But yes, still personal preferences. I found Dune 2 (in terms of pure synthesis) much more powerful than Avenger, Falcon etc.
Non of these offer the modulation options at audio rate......Dune 2 is almost like a modular in some areas and even better with the unison engine.
For me it also sound better.....but that's me.
They might have a bigger feature set but even one single OSC from one layer in Dune 2 can sound bigger as a multi from Falcon :D

Cinebient wrote: I found Dune 2 (in terms of pure synthesis) much more powerful than Avenger, Falcon etc.(...)
They might have a bigger feature set but even one single OSC from one layer in Dune 2 can sound bigger as a multi from Falcon :D
If Falcon had a demo, I would have known this... I will never regret my Falcon purchase because it's my main sampler, I make every single patch with it and its workflow is pure perfection in my opinion, but for synthesis it's not my first choice for sure... ... ... ... :scared:

Dune 2 was great. I think I'll buy Dune 2 again and probably upgrade to Dune 3.

Richard_Synapse wrote:
SmoothTriangle wrote:Any news on the cinematic soundset?
Kevin is still working on it, more specifically on the demo track/video for the set (the patches as such are complete). He said he needs more time to finish it, his guess was approximately 2 weeks.

Richard
https://youtu.be/yVcUN2LZ_BA

Skippy gave a nice shout out to the library here Richard.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Dune 2 can be the only synth, but it can't cover everything 100% (and no synth can IMO). I have spent a good deal comparing Dune 2 and other synths I have, not presets but closer look at sound engine and capabilities.

The comparisons included my other great synths like : Diva, The Legend, Massive, Sylenth1, Bazille, Reaktor and family, RePro-1, ACE, FM8, Loom II beta, Largo, and Absynth. Well, I couldn't replace anyone with another completely! So, I ended keeping them all.

However, Dune 2 can cover about 75% what I need and that is a very big percentage. But still there are other synths who have different characters and sounds that I love and would like to use in my music :)

EnGee wrote:Dune 2 can be the only synth
I think this depends on a chonsen genre and preferred sonic aesthetics. For harder sounding stuff, like psytrance, DnB, dubstep (is dubstep still a thing?), or classic trance (think Sean Tyas, Solarstone) Dune doesn't cut it. For mellow ambient/domntempo music or trailers for non-existing movies (which seems to be the hottest thing now) it probably cam be the only synth.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:For harder sounding stuff, like psytrance..Dune doesn't cut it.
Yes it does? Wavetable stuff, FX and especially bass.

Distorted Horizon wrote:
recursive one wrote:For harder sounding stuff, like psytrance..Dune doesn't cut it.
It does but it takes more external processing to make it sound "edgy" compared to Spire, Virus and other synths which have the right character by default.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Is it snappy enough :D
For me Dune 2 just fits any genre if you program it right. But i agree that other synths might take you faster there in some areas.

recursive one wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:
It does but it takes more external processing to make it sound "edgy" compared to Spire, Virus and other synths which have the right character by default.
So, this is your purpose from coming to this thread? To say that Spire is the shit?

Also, you should quote the whole sentence I said not half of it!

EnGee wrote:not half of it!
hqdefault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”