Logic Pro X - one channel strip linked to several audio tracks?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm recording with 'cycle on - create track and mute'.

I end up with the volumes linked for several tracks in the main window and only one track in the mixer.
The volumes in the main widow are linked?

How can I separate the different takes so I can vary volumes, etc.?

Thanks

Hemmick Reef wrote:Hi,

I'm recording with 'cycle on - create track and mute'.

I end up with the volumes linked for several tracks in the main window and only one track in the mixer.
The volumes in the main widow are linked?

How can I separate the different takes so I can vary volumes, etc.?

Thanks
You would have to use the command "duplicate track" and then drag the regions to the newly created tracks in the Arrange-window.

Thanks for the reply.

New tracks are created as I cycle though, so I'm not dragging to duplicate

Logic has a unique concept: a Track and a Channel Strip are two different objects. Only when a Channel Strip is assigned to a Track (which happens automatically), it becomes (kind of) one thing.

It seems that you selected "Create Tracks" for the "Overlapping Recording" Mode. Please note that it says Create "Tracks" and not Create "Channel Strips".
SO what happens is that Logic creates multiple Tracks all assigned to the same Channel Strip. That's why think they are linked, but they are all the same. all The Volume Slider on the Track Header represent the same Volume Fader on that single Channel Strip.

You have to create individual Tracks (with their own Channel Strip) and move those Regions over.
In the future, maybe it is a better chice to use "Take Folder" or Track Alternative" when recording in Cycle Mode.
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

Hemmick Reef wrote:Thanks for the reply.

New tracks are created as I cycle though, so I'm not dragging to duplicate
I wasn't clear I guess, either use the key-command for duplicate track with same settings or click on the right "+" button at the upper left of the Logic UI, this will create a new audio object/channel strip with the same settings as the original track.

EdgarRothermich wrote:Logic has a unique concept: a Track and a Channel Strip are two different objects. Only when a Channel Strip is assigned to a Track (which happens automatically), it becomes (kind of) one thing.

It seems that you selected "Create Tracks" for the "Overlapping Recording" Mode. Please note that it says Create "Tracks" and not Create "Channel Strips".
SO what happens is that Logic creates multiple Tracks all assigned to the same Channel Strip. That's why think they are linked, but they are all the same. all The Volume Slider on the Track Header represent the same Volume Fader on that single Channel Strip.

You have to create individual Tracks (with their own Channel Strip) and move those Regions over.
In the future, maybe it is a better chice to use "Take Folder" or Track Alternative" when recording in Cycle Mode.
Thanks.
For some reason when I have used cycle and mute I thought it created separate tracks and channels, maybe thats for the midi recording?

I just realised that I had been using a take folder and used automation for volume changes rather than the fader.

Thanks for the replies though folks :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”