Did you know you can basically get retrologue (and possibly other Steinberg engines) for free now?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So this doesn't seem to have gotten a ton of attention but it's kind of crazy. With Halion 6 Steinberg made it possible to create your own custom interface for one layer of a Halion engine, including the sample or synth engines and share them with others who can load them with the free Halion sonic SE 3. This is kind of nuts because it seems you can make every control visible in the custom interface.

So for example someone made this:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=624592

They called it minilogue but it's basically all the controls of the VA synth engine which is essentially the retrologue engine. I downloaded and authorized Halion sonic SE and loaded it up and works great.

There are also a couple others floating around out there but I didn't have success loading the simple sampler I found. It thinks it's already been added to the library. But anyways there aren't many yet and no central place it seems to find user content but Halion 6 is still quite new. I don't think there's any reason someone couldn't do the same with the wavetable engine or granular engine. It lets you even load samples in the custom Halion sonic SE!

It's pretty crazy that they let people do this. You can basically share the synth engines from Halion without cutting that much down.

Thanks for sharing, good info !

Yep, I pretty much got Halion 6 for this capability. Well, not to get Retrologue, I have that already, but to be able to create instruments for Halion Sonic SE, which, I really like as a free multitimbral instrument. There are limitations, however, especially with the U/I, but Halion 6 is indeed cool.

I have a friend who has tried repeatedly to get the free version but each time windows says it can't open the file, does it need some specific extractor or something ?
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:I have a friend who has tried repeatedly to get the free version but each time windows says it can't open the file, does it need some specific extractor or something ?
I don't recall what format the file is in, but it worked fine for me. IIRC, it's an executable, no? Worst case it's zipped, but I don't think so. You pretty much have to have 7-zip on a windows machine today, that's as much as you'd need.

Ok thanks, I'll check to see if he has 7zip and try again
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Echoes in the Attic wrote: They called it minilogue but it's basically all the controls of the VA synth engine which is essentially the retrologue engine.
Isn't that what Voltage is though already?

aMUSEd wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: They called it minilogue but it's basically all the controls of the VA synth engine which is essentially the retrologue engine.
Isn't that what Voltage is though already?
No that's a two osc synth with reduced features. But it is essentially what trium is, which has pretty much all the features of the "synth zone" engine (i.e. The retrologue engine). However Halion Sonic SE users cannot load those macro instruments that you get with Halion and apparently you cannot export those factory macro instruments to a vstsound for use in Halion Sonic SE, which makes sense. Otherwise people could easily export the whole factory library for people to use for free. So basically someone has to recreate it with their own images etc.

So yeah it seems that retrologue, trium and this user made minilogue are basically the same synth. But people can use minilogue for free which is the difference.

Ah yes Trium, I have that too, thought it was something different for some reason so not really explored that one as I assumed Voltage was meant to be the VA.

If I download SE, do I need Cubase to run it? Where do I get content for it?

No, you can use it in any host. It uses soft eLicenser protection though, and, to my knowledge, it doesn't come with content.

Thanks, sounds good if there's free content available.

I posted a link to one and there's one or two others instruments floating around out there but no generally people haven't made much for it yet. But it's already worth it for minilogue, which is basically retrologue as I said.

Do you need iLok for this?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:Do you need iLok for this?
No, but you need eLicenser. A soft version of it is fine.

Return to “Instruments”