Omnisphere (MHO)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Echoes in the Attic wrote:There's no debate to whether Omnisphere is a synth or a rompler. It's both quite obviously.

So is it good value? Let's say the synth part was 100 dollars, which I think everyone can agree is a good deal. Now subtract that from the full price of Omni and compare that cost to other 50gb of sound libraries with similar range of content for things like kontakt.

The sample lib is where omni fails here... ymmv etc etc.

if you think you need it, buy it.

there are needs and there are wants.

for many(sound hoarders) its a want.
for... well... nm. its a need.

for me its neither.

pass the popcorn while i read ALL the "in denial" sound hoarder's
replies to this. :D
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Omnisphere cost me nothing. I traded in old hardware laying in my basement rotting away to Sam Ash who gave me Omnisphere in return. Had I not been able to do that, I would have not bought at. Not at $500.

I don't think any soft synth is worth $500 when you have things like Zebra 2, Falcon and Avenger that are a fraction of the price.

Am I glad I got Omnisphere? Yeah. I use it all the time.

But $500? No freaking way.

Whether it's "worth it" is a personal issue to each individual.

Yes, it's priced high, and the Specs like to be in that end of the market. For many users, they'll earn the cost back on their first piece of work with it, and it will go on earning for years - so for those folks, particularly if it inspires them to get stuff done quickly and easily, then it's clearly worth it.

They have their own Spectrasonics "sound" which some love and others might not like so much, but the Specs' chops in sampling, editing, instrument building and sound design are unrivalled - it's very rare for a software company to have a big team of in-house sound designers - it's usually more like somewhere between dev chucking in a handful of presets up to the dev paying a bunch of existing sound guys to do sound sets in a short period of time (yes, there are a handful of exceptions of course).

They also have a style that aims more at less technical musicians, rather than geeks who wants pages of thousands of controls - not that their stuff isn't powerful, but it's "musical" as well, and again, that's not something that a lot of devs do well, either.

So, Omnisphere does things only it can do, as well as covering other bases that other instruments can do (and some better). If Serum (or whatever) floats your boat and does everything you want, then is Omnisphere worth much to you? Probably not.

I'm less a fan of EDM-focused synths with the majority of presets aimed there, than I am ones that let me make the music more suited to me, and Omnisphere works great for that, and for this Omnisphere has more value for me. Of course you can bend any instrument to your needs and all can make useful contributions, but after a while it comes down to how easily/effortlessly you can get to where you want to be, and different instruments will suit different people in this regard.

And I'd definitely get more musical value out of a $500 Omnisphere than I would out of a $1500 Roland hardware synth - and I already have some other complementary synths like Zebra etc so it's not an either or thing, all instruments have their strengths.

But I do find Omnisphere one of the more inspiring instruments than most to make music with. I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of OS users don't for one second regret the purchase...

(and I still remember when a 600MB CD-ROM Akai library cost $300 and a 50-patch DX7 cartridge cost $100...)

ghettosynth wrote:I brought enough for everyone...

:party:
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

wagtunes wrote:Am I glad I got Omnisphere? Yeah. I use it all the time.
Sure, but as you've said many times, your main reason for buying instruments is to develop sound libraries for them, and it's always difficult selling libraries for instruments that already have huge and high quality libraries, so your use case is a bit different to most, I think.

If you were, for example, a musician doing soundtrack TV work, your bread and butter would be sample libraries and a quick and ready access to high quality sounds, so the use case is different, and OS get used a helluva lot for those folks, for sure.

If you're someone kicking it around your bedroom doing EDM tracks for fun, then OS is probably too expensive and not enough return for you, and your money is probably better invested on something else...

beely wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Am I glad I got Omnisphere? Yeah. I use it all the time.
Sure, but as you've said many times, your main reason for buying instruments is to develop sound libraries for them, and it's always difficult selling libraries for instruments that already have huge and high quality libraries, so your use case is a bit different to most, I think.

If you were, for example, a musician doing soundtrack TV work, your bread and butter would be sample libraries and a quick and ready access to high quality sounds, so the use case is different, and OS get used a helluva lot for those folks, for sure.

If you're someone kicking it around your bedroom doing EDM tracks for fun, then OS is probably too expensive and not enough return for you, and your money is probably better invested on something else...
Omnisphere 1 - 4th best selling library
Omnisphere 2 - 8th best selling library

So my library sales more than paid for Omnisphere HAD I bought.

Not the point. In this day and age where you can get a kick ass soft synth for $200, there is no way I can justify $500 for any soft synth no matter what it's used for. What did the people who use Omnisphere use, for whatever it is they do, before there WAS an Omnisphere?

It's like looking for a hooker for a night. I don't care how great in bed she is. No hooker is worth $500 when you can probably get just as good a lay for 50 bucks.

I know it's a crude and tasteless analogy but it's damn spot on as far as sound design.

Now, if I'm looking for an authentic sounding symphony orchestra, I'm not getting that from a $50 sample set. Those cost big bucks and I understand that and I've paid that kind of money for those things.

But Omnisphere? There are no "must have" sounds in Omnishpere. To me, it's just another great sounding all around synth that might specialize in ambient and cinematic stuff. But I can come close to those sounds with other high end synths that don't cost as much.

Again, I got it. I'm glad I got it and it's one of my favorite synths. But I can't justify spending $500 on a soft synth.

YMMV

wagtunes wrote:Omnisphere 1 - 4th best selling library
Omnisphere 2 - 8th best selling library

So my library sales more than paid for Omnisphere HAD I bought.
Great! How many purchases are we talking about, roughly? Hundreds? I'm not sure how many OS users there are, and I'm interested in how many will want to buy more sounds for these things that come with massive libraries - maybe my feeling is incorrect...
wagtunes wrote:What did the people who use Omnisphere use, for whatever it is they do, before there WAS an Omnisphere?
The music for picture folks had to use racks and racks of hardware samplers and modules, and sample libraries. A significant investment (even these days with Vienna rigs and multiple Kontakt libraries, which typically still cost $300-$500 for good ones), but whichever way you go, if you're serious and this stuff pays your rent, there will always be a significant investment, and $500 isn't that much in comparison.
wagtunes wrote:It's like looking for a hooker for a night. I don't care how great in bed she is. No hooker is worth $500 when you can probably get just as good a lay for 50 bucks.
Er...
wagtunes wrote:But Omnisphere? There are no "must have" sounds in Omnishpere. To me, it's just another great sounding all around synth that might specialize in ambient and cinematic stuff. But I can come close to those sounds with other high end synths that don't cost as much.
I agree on the "must have" sounds, but it is one source of a whole bunch of great stuff in one place, and thus is a useful resource to have for those that want that - as I said before, it all depends on the individual.

I think really the OP was looking for someone to "guarantee" them that the purchase would be worthwhile to them, and the bottom line is, no one can make that decision for someone else without being intimately familiar with what they are doing...

Some stuff just sounds good and doesn't take much to tweak for it man. Like am I gonna buy steinberg's orchestra thing for 100 bucks or buy all the orchestral tools berlin stuff for 30x that when I'm just gettin the same instruments anyway?

So like I'm saying here some stuff is just easier to get the sound you want. I mean price usually reflects that kinda convenience.

I hate popcorn.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:I hate popcorn.
Best with salt. Try some.

Armagibbon wrote:
werp wrote:I hate popcorn.
Best with salt. Try some.
It's best without the popcorn...
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

What I have learnt so far from this thread:

Omnisphere is not a witch

and it won't give you herpes

Carry on

aMUSEd wrote:What I have learnt so far from this thread:

Carry on
Heard it here first peeps. Omni can't do herpestep or witchwave

Armagibbon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:What I have learnt so far from this thread:

Carry on
Heard it here first peeps. Omni can't do herpestep or witchwave
But it can do the "Burning Piano Polka" in 2 seconds flat.

Return to “Instruments”