If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

Yes, as long as it was reasonably priced.
45%
Maybe, I would consider purchasing it.
18%
No, I don't have any interest in such a product.
27%
Fish
11%

Total votes: 366

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know if d50 runs on cubase 7 or 7.5? On cub 6.5 crashes. So sad.

zimmerabc wrote:Does anyone know if d50 runs on cubase 7 or 7.5? On cub 6.5 crashes. So sad.
The 64-bit VST2 plugin seems to work nicely in Cubase Pro 9 and Cubase 8.5 64-bit here (both on Windows 10 64-bit).

FWIW the VST3 plugin seems to have problems with using aftertouch and pitchbend as was discussed earlier and also at the Roland Cloud Facebook page.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thanks Ingo,
never change a winning team, so is my cub 6.5 with tons of plugs. Want to stay as close as I can to catch d50.

wtf is up with roland, i opened a ticket with the rendering problem, got 30 mins later a reply and over a week i dont get a reply, also asking what the status is....
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:wtf is up with roland, i opened a ticket with the rendering problem, got 30 mins later a reply and over a week i dont get a reply, also asking what the status is....
The synth-based emulations (D-50, Juno-106, etc.) have yet to work for me. The tech rep who's been helping me (Travis) has been fairly consistent in keeping the lines of communication open, and I can tell he's trying to help. That said, I haven't heard from him in about a week now.

Has anyone had the problem where the VST (2.4 or 3) won't authorize? That's my problem, even though Concerto authorizes (and works) just fine.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

After having paid the subscription first time last month it was now re-billed (you need to cancel subsciption to stop it), again for 19.95$ (the "Early Access Beta" price). My credit card was charged with 17.34 € which is based on the conversion rate without extra fees or VAT (which often could happen here in Germany).

Plugins kept on working properly here in Windows 10 64-bit while the subscription was re-billed.

At the moment i got all of the "Legendary series" synth plugins and also the System-8 plugin installed while i mostly use the D-50 and Jupiter-8 at the moment which are also the only 2 synths from those plugins that i had owned as hardware in the past (both back in 2004).

I have not decided yet how long i will do the subscription and i have not really tested all the available plugins properly yet but if i would use the full 12 months to keep a plugin "forever" (with the upcoming loyality program that was not officially announced yet...) at the moment i am quite sure i would keep the D-50.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: I have not decided yet how long i will do the subscription and i have not really tested all the available plugins properly yet but if i would use the full 12 months to keep a plugin "forever" (with the upcoming loyality program that was not officially announced yet...) at the moment i am quite sure i would keep the D-50.
Since you have been using the D-50 plugin, do you think it is worth it to pay that for a whole year to get the one plugin? I would buy it separately, but it can't be more than $150. Even that's little high. There are just too many good plugins out there already.

Examigan wrote:
Ingonator wrote: I have not decided yet how long i will do the subscription and i have not really tested all the available plugins properly yet but if i would use the full 12 months to keep a plugin "forever" (with the upcoming loyality program that was not officially announced yet...) at the moment i am quite sure i would keep the D-50.
Since you have been using the D-50, do you think it is worth it to pay that for a whole year to get the one plugin? I would buy it separately, but it can't be more than $150. Even that's little high. There are just too many good plugins out there already.
Actually even if i really like the plugin i have not decided yet if the D-50 plugin would be really worth paying the full 12 months but if i also start using other plugins from the collection (like currently with the Jupiter-8) it might make more sense. Also depends on when they raise the price. Now i got two months for 19.95$ each. For 12 months this price would be around 208 € at the current conversion rate. If they would chnge to 29.95$ per month in the next month it would be 295 € for 12 months (with 10 months at 29.95$).

Of course i would prefer a single purchase for the D-50 plugin too and i might even pay up to 150 € for it (and stop the subscription...).
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
Examigan wrote:
Since you have been using the D-50, do you think it is worth it to pay that for a whole year to get the one plugin? I would buy it separately, but it can't be more than $150. Even that's little high. There are just too many good plugins out there already.
Actually even if i really like the plugin i have not decided yet if the D-50 plugin would be really worth paying the full 12 months but if i also start using other plugins from the collection (like currently with the Jupiter-8) it might make more sense. Also depends on when they raise the price. Now i got two months for 19.95$ each. For 12 months this price would be around 208 € at the current conversion rate. If they would chnge to 29.95$ per month in the next month it would be 295 € for 12 months (with 10 months at 29.95$).

Of course i would prefer a single purchase for the D-50 plugin too and i might even pay up to 150 € for it (and stop the subscription...).
Oh, I thought that when you are signing up at the current price (19.95 USD/m) this is the price that is valid for 12 months. Don't know where I got this from, maybe because most subscriptions work like that, Maybe not the Roland Cloud though.

Sure, the Jupiter-8 is nice, but I think the Arturia Jup-8V is good enough. I sounds really great, but I don't know how it sounds comparing to the real deal. As long as you are not expecting a 100 % clone, the Arturia Jup-8V is actually better sounding, quality wise.

I guess I would only be interested in the D-50, since it's more "unique". Not worth even 150 EUR IMO opinion though. Roland plugins are way to overpriced. Maybe somewhere between 75-100 EUR is closer what they are worth, including the D-50.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Oh, I thought that when you are signing up at the current price (19.95 USD/m) this is the price that is valid for 12 months. Don't know where I got this from, maybe because most subscriptions work like that, Maybe not the Roland Cloud though.

Sure, the Jupiter-8 is nice, but I think the Arturia Jup-8V is good enough. I sounds really great, but I don't know how it sounds comparing to the real deal. As long as you are not expecting a 100 % clone, the Arturia Jup-8V is actually better sounding, quality wise.

I guess I would only be interested in the D-50, since it's more "unique". Not worth even 150 EUR IMO opinion though. Roland plugins are way to overpriced. Maybe somewhere between 75-100 EUR is closer what they are worth, including the D-50.
Well, i do not know yet if the price will stay like that for me or not. There does not seem to be an official information yet. Possible that the price will be raised when you cancel and re-enter the subscription but that'S just speculation.

Arturia Jup-8 V3 is indeed graet. I got the Arturia Jupiter 8 since it was released around 10 years ago (which was around 3 years or a bit less after owning a real Jupiter 8 ) and i also got U-H Diva where i created some Jupiter 8 presets during the public beta. Those are included in the "3rd party" factory presets folder.
Ingo Weidner

starflakeprj wrote:Sure, the Jupiter-8 is nice, but I think the Arturia Jup-8V is good enough. I sounds really great, but I don't know how it sounds comparing to the real deal. As long as you are not expecting a 100 % clone, the Arturia Jup-8V is actually better sounding, quality wise.
I always found the Arturia a bit clamped, compressed and dead sounding, and when I first played with the Roland version it immediately sounded better to me - much more satisfying in the highs, and alive and dynamic sounding.

However, the interface is very poor and the CPU use really bad, and those things make me want to not use it, so the Arturia is probably the better product to use for now (and you can use it even if your DAW is offline, novelty!). But it doesn't *sound* better than the Roland, for sure, from where my ears are...

beely wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:Sure, the Jupiter-8 is nice, but I think the Arturia Jup-8V is good enough. I sounds really great, but I don't know how it sounds comparing to the real deal. As long as you are not expecting a 100 % clone, the Arturia Jup-8V is actually better sounding, quality wise.
I always found the Arturia a bit clamped, compressed and dead sounding, and when I first played with the Roland version it immediately sounded better to me - much more satisfying in the highs, and alive and dynamic sounding.

However, the interface is very poor and the CPU use really bad, and those things make me want to not use it, so the Arturia is probably the better product to use for now (and you can use it even if your DAW is offline, novelty!). But it doesn't *sound* better than the Roland, for sure, from where my ears are...
Currently i own Roland Jupiter-8 (as part of Roland Cloud subscription), Arturia Jup-8 V3 (as part of V-Collection 5) and also U-He Diva with the built-in Jupiter 8 modules (Oscillator, HPF, LPF and envelope modules).

IMO none is perfect in when talking about the combination of sound, features and CPU use. The only real advantage of the Roland plugin currently seems to be the sound quality which is indeed great while it has problems with CPU use (actually big problems) and the GUI (especially the "blurry" GUI at bigger sizes which works MUCH beter with teh D-50 plugin), not to forget the subscription based payment and protection.

Diva sounds great but the patrameter ranges are totally off which makes replicating Jupiter 8 patches a real PITA. Besides that it does not include dedicated emulations of e.g. the Unison, Portamento, LFO and also the Arpeggiator. Insteda Diva includes a more "generaö purpose" version of those features. How far the "Stack" feature emulates a dedicated Unison properly is another story.

Arturia Jup-8 V3 seems to be teh best combination of sound, features and GUI and it also has interesting advanced fetures like e.g. effects (including an EQ that could be used to increase the low end...), the Galaxy module, a mod matrix etc.
Feature wise it seems to include all features of the real including the Unison, Arp, Portamento, different poly modes, layer/split etc.

If the currently remaning issues with the Roland plugin are no big issue for you it might be the best emulation at the moment. Sound wise it is great for sure.

If the fact that certain Jupiter-8 features are not really properly emulated in U-He Diva does not matter for you Diva could be a great choice for Jupiter-8 patches too. Sound wise it is very good for sure and has a nice low end without adding an EQ. Anyway especially at the highest quality Diva could be a serious CPU hog too. Multicore support is not always the solution as the load is "just" spread across multiple cores. This is fine for a single instance but in a song with many tracks where multiple instruments and/or instances are spread over multiple CPU cores this might still be a big issue (not to forget external FXs that need some CPU too).
Urs had also mentioned that the filter in his Jupiter 8 seemed to soudn differnt than in otehr Jupiter 8 so the filter in Diva is an emulation of his Jupiter 8 while when compared to another real Jupiter-8 it might sound different. Actually such differnces seemed to be found with several vintage analog synths.
Of course this also means that if for other emulation different hardware Jupiter 8 units were used there could be an audible differnce even if all those plugins would include a perfect emulation of that filter they tried to emulate.
The fact that the parameter ranges especially in Diva do not fit to the real thing makes a direct comparison of multiple plugins even more difficult. You have to be sure that audible differences are not due to wrong programming of the parameters, especially the filter settings and envelopes.
Ingo Weidner

Besides the D-50 (still my favorite of the Roland plugins...) and Jupiter-8 plugin i just started using otehr plugins like e.g. SH-2, System-100 and Sound Canvas. In terms of sound quality all those seem to be great indeed.

With synths like e.g. SH-2, SH-101 and Juno-106 Roland added a second envelope which is a great addition. For me synths with a single envelope seem to be quite useless for doing sound design which is one reason why i sold the SH-101 and Juno-60 plugins from TAL a while ago. Of course i know that the TAL plugins got a few other advantages like e.g. a sequencer and a poly mode for Bassline-101.

Another advanced feature with the Roland SH-2 plugin is that it has a dedicated PW/PWM fader for each of the two Oscs opposing to a "global" one in the real SH-2 (and FWIW also in the Jupiter-8...). Due to that the SH-2 plugin does not have a dedicated Square waveform like in the hardware synth but the variable Pulse is used for that.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:Roland Cloud had posted this at Facebook last week concerning the upcoming (!!) loyality program and internet authorization:
Roland Cloud With the forthcoming Roland Cloud loyalty program, you'll be able to pick instruments and tools that you will have access to forever, regardless of your subscription status.
Roland Cloud The details of the forthcoming Loyalty Program will explain how it all works regarding subscriptions, etc. We're looking into non-network based authentication systems, but for now it is tied to the internet. More details soon.

A link for the Roland Cloud Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/therolandcloud/
Not sure if it is new but i found this more detailed description of the upcoming loyalty program at the FAQ of the Roland Cloud website:
What is the forthcoming subscriber loyalty rewards program that I've been hearing about?
Coming Soon:
The Roland Cloud Subscriber Loyalty Rewards Program - Get a free software instrument with 12 months of Roland Cloud!
Roland Cloud would like to sincerely thank our loyal subscribers and those who participated in our Early Access Beta by introduction of the Roland Cloud Subscriber rewards program!

As an online service, Roland Cloud offers thousands of dollars of value for pennies on the dollar via our low monthly subscription. Unlike most online services, our subscription pays you interest in return for your loyalty.

Sounds Great, What’s the reward?
For every 12 months as an active subscriber to Roland Cloud, you will be able to pick one out of any of your favorite Software Instruments or Software Studio tools that are included with your basic subscription tier to become yours permanently, regardless of your subscription status, forever. It doesn’t matter that this instrument or studio tool would individually sell for more than the cost of your basic subscription over 12-month period. We want you to have it. Since we’re always adding new software instruments and studio tools, every 12 months you’ll always have a new and exciting batch of rewards to choose from.

I took a break in my subscription, am I still eligible?
12 months of subscription is the only requirement. Your Roland Cloud subscription time adds up, regardless of lapses in subscription status. It doesn’t matter if you subscribe for 12 months consecutively or one month per year for the next twelve years. You are still eligible to own an instrument or studio software tool. No catch. No strings attached.
Accrue another 12 months and get another software instrument from our collection for life. It’s simple.

Does my Early Access Beta Trial subscription time count towards my 12-month reward?
Of course it does! All subscription time counts. Whether your subscription was acquired via a Roland Cloud promotion, during Early Access Beta or with any coupon whatsoever for Roland Cloud, it still counts as time toward your reward. We recognize your loyalty and want to reward it with some loyalty of our own.

When does this go live?
Stay tuned for forthcoming announcements around this program going live on Roland Cloud. If you have already accrued 1 year of subscription time at the time this program goes live, you will be awarded an instrument retroactively.
So even the free trial month seems to count for the 12 months which is interesting.
Ingo Weidner

Without reading through all the pages of posts on here, I wonder if the one you keep (after the 12 months is up) can be sold/transferred to someone else? After paying all that money I wouldn't sell it, but someone else might.

Return to “Instruments”