bx_console E 4K console emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ole_e.html

OVERVIEW

Turn your DAW into a classic, high-end mixing console! bx_console E is a stunning 72-channel emulation (yes, that´s 72 different channels!) of the world-famous British E Series mixing console, introduced in 1979. Heard on countless hit records by marquee artists including Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, Metallica, Sting and Genesis, the E Series is the preferred console of celebrated mix engineers Chris Lord Alge, Bob Clearmountain and innumerable others. Now, thanks to Brainworx’s revolutionary Tolerance Modeling Technology, the E Series console’s three-dimensional analog sound has been reproduced with startling realism in the digital realm.

But there’s more. Brainworx’s owner — accomplished producer/engineer Dirk Ulrich — and his award-winning development team turbocharged the classic hit-making console with a boatload of powerful mods and new features, including some from the later-released G Series British console. Rather than simply model an EQ and compressor, Dirk and the Brainworx team created the sound, feel and workflow of an ideal hybrid large-format console, incorporating all the missing features he’s longed for when working on traditional British consoles.

You can now have that ideal multichannel console in your laptop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It WAS high-end in the seventies. Now it's low-end, and your DAW mixer is high-end.

Noise and distortion = 'analog'. Like we didn't have enough of this shit already!
Last edited by sfxsound3 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is this new?

Well I know that comparison is going to come sooner or later so I'll jump the gun. I wonder how this will compare to the authentic sound of Nebula :clown:

Most of the algorithmic eqs miss both the sense of "air" and "depth" of the real deal or Acustica Nebula for that matter.

Anyhow, I'm excited to see how this turns out. I love Waves stuff but the SSL channel strip and bus eq is a bit dated. The channel compressor imo is the best part about that but the eq is a bit flat sounding when compared to the real thing. Waves has really upped its game though with recent offerings.

sfxsound3 wrote:It WAS high-end in the seventies. Now it's low-end, and your DAW mixer is high-end.

Noise and distortion = 'analog'. Like we didn't have enough of this shit already!
Except that, as an aggregate, human's like the sound of noise and distortion.

Here's some tracks for comparison. EQ gains set to 0, and DYN are bypassed. I carefully matched the loudness across them within +/-0.2dB LUFS. I also used the random TMT on bx_consoleE. Download is avaialble in the "More..." menu.

DRY -15.5dB LUFS
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/grind-dry/s-mZAlQ

Waves SSL E -15.4dB LUFS
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/gr ... sl/s-VovjG

Waves SSL E + NLS Spike (Drive 4.0) -15.5dB LUFS
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/gr ... ls/s-G7tIZ

bx_console E -15.5dB LUFS
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/gr ... -e/s-cK7N8

AlexB 4KC (Clean G on tracks, Clean M on mix buss) -15.3dB LUFS
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/gr ... kc/s-d2O7z

These are other mixes through some different AlexB consoles. Note the loudness is more than the above.

AlexB MFC -15.3dB LUFS
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/grind-mfc/s-41hT5

AlexB R88 -15.5dB LUFS
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/gr ... 88/s-RQRhv

Nebula 4 AlexB 4KC 4K emulation using a different test track for extended listening comparison:

BYPASSED
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/al ... ed/s-0CVq1

UNBYPASSED
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/al ... st/s-Ans8s
Last edited by plexuss on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

This is new.

Well, I gave away my best voucher recently and don't have anything in the way of "new for you" or whatever.

I know this, I've been impressed by many PA things, the bx console is NOT one of them. Never have I tried a more boring/placid plug that has been so well received. Must be the matrix "f**king with me" :hihi:

incubus wrote:This is new.

Well, I gave away my best voucher recently and don't have anything in the way of "new for you" or whatever.

I know this, I've been impressed by many PA things, the bx console is NOT one of them. Never have I tried a more boring/placid plug that has been so well received. Must be the matrix "f**king with me" :hihi:
I use bx_console on every track of every project, unless I feel a Nebula console works better. Just goes to show you the subjective nature of audio.

Maybe PA will officially release console E for Aug with a new coupon.

AC222 wrote:Most of the algorithmic eqs miss both the sense of "air" and "depth" of the real deal or Acustica Nebula for that matter.
I don't know very much about DSP programming, but from what I understand the brittle high-end sound that characterized digital equalizers of old is a result of the floating point precision of the DSP itself. Not necessary the mere fact that it is digital. The higher the floating point, the more high end data the DSP can manage accurately. Higher frequencies literally carry larger numerical information and require higher precision, so they more heavily burden the floating point of the DSP. With today's plugins, this is less of a concern as I understand it. But, I have to state again that I do not know much about DSP programming, and I'm reiterating an explanation that was given to me. Take it with a grain of salt. But, I personally don't buy the idea that most digital EQs lack "air" or "depth". Those statements are vague, and don't seem coherent to me at all.

Nice!!

Brittle highends were a result of computations being done at lower sample rates, like 44.1. In the days of oversampling this shouldn't be the case. Brainworx has been known for its oversampling so it shouldn't be an issue.

Also be away that data compression tends to crunch the highs before anything else. Be wary of this when listening to or watching online videos.

BRBWaffles wrote:
AC222 wrote:Most of the algorithmic eqs miss both the sense of "air" and "depth" of the real deal or Acustica Nebula for that matter.
I don't know very much about DSP programming, but from what I understand the brittle high-end sound that characterized digital equalizers of old is a result of the floating point precision of the DSP itself. Not necessary the mere fact that it is digital. The higher the floating point, the more high end data the DSP can manage accurately. Higher frequencies literally carry larger numerical information and require higher precision, so they more heavily burden the floating point of the DSP. With today's plugins, this is less of a concern as I understand it. But, I have to state again that I do not know much about DSP programming, and I'm reiterating an explanation that was given to me. Take it with a grain of salt. But, I personally don't buy the idea that most digital EQs lack "air" or "depth". Those statements are vague, and don't seem coherent to me at all.
I've recently been into outboard for the past about 2 years and i can attest to the "depth"not so much the air(more so i don't care about the air :D).even just running things through devices not driven will produce a sense of depth that you can't really draw comparisons with in plugins (excuse the hyperbole,but there is nothing like it in native,algorithmic plugin land.can't speak for UAD)it goes beyond some kind of nice sounding EQ curve and oversampled non-linearities too.to sum it up,it sounds "organic"where as plugins don't.almost like there is some kind of characterful constantly shifting early reflections running behind the signal which makes it sound thicker than what you put in(Nebula actually does this up to a point in its "TIMED"kernels mode with really long kernel lengths).it doesn't even need to be high quality either,as i have heard a similar quality on really,truly dogshit guitar pedals,just with a much murkier,Lo-Fi sound :D

I'm honestly not convinced that the answers are simply just better oversampling and more accurate models.we've had like i guess a bit of a golden age of plugin development these past 3-4 years with faster more efficient and readily available CPU's,and although things are some of the way there in my personal opinion,i think there's a few more miles on the trek yet before they reach their destination

Don't get me wrong.i love plugins,just not for this stuff :tu:
I

At least until then, the average audience won't be able to tell the difference

BRBWaffles wrote:
it's actually the other way around - lower frequencies require higher precision, because there's less difference between the sample values.

the "brittle" sound of early digital EQ's is mostly due to cramping, aliasing and generally imperfect implementations.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

plexuss wrote:
incubus wrote:This is new.

I use bx_console on every track of every project, unless I feel a Nebula console works better. Just goes to show you the subjective nature of audio.

Maybe PA will officially release console E for Aug with a new coupon.
Dirk has said as much; trials will not expire before it goes on sale, and it should go on sale in early August. I also expect there will be new vouchers for those who get them.

I personally hope that there will be additional discounts for those who already own bx_console, but I've not heard any such assurance yet.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

I don't know I am very confused to if I should buy a bx_console or nebula plugins or nothing out of plugins...and rather buy hardware.

Return to “Effects”