Able to see more horizontally with ultrawide computer monitor?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Note: I posted this message on the Reaper forum but I did not receive a response. I'm hoping to have better luck here on the KVRAudio forum!

Part of me says it only makes sense I should be able to see more horizontally running Reaper through an ultrawide computer monitor (I'm considering buying one with a 34" wide screen with 21:9 aspect ratio, by the way). I really have a difficult time putting music together only being able to see 4 measures or so of music at a time. I don't know if it is possible, but if someone could show what Reaper looks like with a lot of measures appearing on the screen (especially compared to seeing the same music on a non-ultrawide computer monitor), I would feel better about spending a lot of money on an ultrawide computer monitor. Thanks.

For a long time, I have used 2 x 20" non-wide screens. That way I have 1600x1200 x 2 or 3200 pixels wide by 1200 tall still. With wide you'd sacrifice the tallness.

I'm using a 24" monitor alongside a 17" laptop. There is much more width on the 24" inch (I'm using Live), so more tracks are visible on screen.

I have a 29" ultrawide and yes, it makes a difference in how "far" you can see in a track view (at least in Maschine).

Also a lot of games run pretty smoothly in 2560x1080 even on an older computer with a modest graphics card :) Especially nice for racing games and shooters where seeing a bit more horizontally tends to be more important than vertically.

Thanks everybody for the comments. I really appreciate your feedback. Seems as though I'll be getting an ultrawide soon, based on what I've heard so far...

Keep the responses coming!

16:9 gives you more horizontal space than 5:4, and 21:9 more horizontal space than 16:9 obviously. From my translation work, where i work with 2 windows side by side, i can only say that it is very beneficial, for work on the computer. And, especially on a audio sequencer, it should make much sense, because you can work with more space in the sequencer, while not sacrificing the display size of the image you see.

It's great for gaming too BTW. :) I think for quite a while now about getting an ultrawide. Dunno if i should really do though, or just wait until VR gets more inexpensive, and mature.

foosnark,

If it's possible, can you show some comparison of your view of Maschine in an ultrawide computer monitor and a "regular" computer monitor?

I have a 43" tv/monitor. It is 38: wide. any wider I cannot hear the studio monitors.
My studio:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7760&p=6718002#p6718002
See the bottom post.

I keep my DAW on the bottom 60 percent of the screen and the plugins above.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

terriandralph wrote:foosnark,

If it's possible, can you show some comparison of your view of Maschine in an ultrawide computer monitor and a "regular" computer monitor?
Sort of faking the "regular" monitor here by setting Maschine to about 1440 x 1080 (I had Notepad cover the rest of the screen, but that was blazingly white so I just blacked it out).

In actual use you'd be likely to zoom further out on the time scales to fit more of the song/pattern in the available space, but it'd just be narrower. Or hide the sidebar when you're not using it (I forget what the shortcut key is for that). I'm not sure this conveys the difference in feeling when using it though.

foosnark,

Fanatastic! That's the kind of screenshots I was looking for. I really appreciate your time and effort.

And thanks to all. You've been very helpful in giving me the information I need to make my decision.

:tu:
Last edited by terriandralph on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:clap:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”