Omnisphere (MHO)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:
quantum7 wrote:I couldn't fathom not owning Omnisphere. It has been my most used VSTI in the last many years. I would pay $600 for it! In fact, I wish Spectrasonics would raise the price so that I could be entertained by even more people bitching about its price. :hihi:
wagtunes wrote:
It's like looking for a hooker for a night. I don't care how great in bed she is. No hooker is worth $500 when you can probably get just as good a lay for 50 bucks.
WTF????????? :scared: Hopefully there is a clinic with enough penicillin available where you live. :lol:
That's an interesting question though. What correlates to hooker prices? Fortunately, academia comes to the rescue as there is almost no question that can't be explored with the science.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6512003746
Using a unique random survey of prostitutes in Taipei city of Taiwan, this study investigates the association between obesity, condom use and prostitutes’ price. Results show that overweight prostitutes charge less for their services. However, prostitutes charge more for performing risky sex regardless of the weight status. By further looking at weight and height, we found that the price of prostitutes is only associated with weight.
So, Omni is bucking the trend here, I mean, she's a big girl, and she costs more.
WOW, I wouldn't imagine that KVR had so many people with an expertise in prostitution (let alone the fact that the subject was worthing an academic study).

Now, if Omnisphere is fatter, it should be priced lower than other products, according to that study, right? :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Kinh wrote:I am sic-ta-def of pweeple sayin' omnisphere's too expensive!!
It's bloody well not!
5x more presets than others half the price (do the math), more sound design options, better sound, shit it even looks better.
SO LAY OFF!!!!!! :x
Musicians are definitely and interesting bunch. I've been on automobile forums and do not recall people constantly bitching about the price of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, saying things like, "is a Ferrari really 3x better than a Ford Mustang???? :dog: :hihi:

:lol:
I was the night manager at a '2 hour minimum' hotel in LA's rampart division.

There is no such thing as a $500.00 prostitute.
There are however, $500.00 johns.

Therefore, Omnisphere is not a $500.00 plugin (I don't know anybody that even paid that price), but if you did, you're just a $500.00 customer.

quantum7 wrote:
It's bloody well not!
5x more presets than others half the price (do the math), more sound design options, better sound, shit it even looks better.
Musicians are definitely and interesting bunch. I've been on automobile forums and do not recall people constantly bitching about the price of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, saying things like, "is a Ferrari really 3x better than a Ford Mustang???? :dog: :hihi:
You're making the wrong comparison. Omni isn't a Ferrrari, it's more like a Buick.

quantum7 wrote:
It's bloody well not!
That's an easy one... NO IT ISN'T. The same way an iPhone isn't four times better than a Xiaomi. Still there are people willing to pay :shrug:
Last edited by fmr on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Kinh wrote: 5x more presets than others half the price
oh brother... :roll:
if you actually learned sound design you wouldn't have 500 presets that sound almost identical
except for a slight filter cutoff adjustment in your 500,000 omni presets.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

R0bins0n wrote:Something at virtually $500 had better be damn awesome, glitch free, and uber rewarding to work with.

You can buy the top Studio One 3 package for $400

Kontakt 5 is $400

Sylenth, Serum, Zebra 2, and many other awesome synths are UNDER $200.

I know how fabulous all that software is because I use it.

I have not bought Omnisphere, because I cannot believe one plugin at that price can be substantially, qualitatively and realistically so superior to those synths that it justifies spending more than twice the money on it.

Is it really twice as 'good' as Serum?
Do you really get 20% more quality out of it than you do from Studio one 3 professional
(which is 20% cheaper)

(I appreciate the subjective vagueness of the concept 'good' but I think you understand my point)

I've read some forum threads on Omnisphere and the debate about if it's really just a Rompler or a genuine synthesizer.

Either way, no single synth or Rompler should be priced that high when other companies produce breathtaking software for less money. Finally, even Komplete is only $100 more than Omnisphere 2 and most readers know what that package offers.

Just my view - maybe I'm the only one.
It's a very nice sample library built into an very nice, very flexible, but not especially efficient synthesizer. It has actual synthesis as well as sample based stuff. It's a fun thing to have, but not necessarily useful for everybody. The price is high but not necessarily when the amount of sampling and programming that went into it. It has numerous things you won't find anywhere else. I bought it for a well sampled electric sitar as there wasn't one on the market at the time. Plus it was a good tax write off. I can understand not feeling like it's enough value for your money if you have a tight budget or feel you have your bases covered.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

So much smart people who know what others want.
Make it easy, not only design presets, do your own DSP...or better create your own OS, computer and whatever.
I'm sure Spectrasonics doing well.
What did you guys which makes you better?

ghettosynth wrote:
quantum7 wrote:
It's bloody well not!
You're making the wrong comparison. Omni isn't a Ferrrari, it's more like a Buick.
I was actually referring to "price" in my Ferrari analogy......but that said, I drove my father's 1976 Buick Century all through my senior year of High School in 1987.....which was quite painful.....so please do not compare Omni 2 to a Buick. :lol:

R0bins0n wrote:Something at virtually $500 had better be damn awesome, glitch free, and uber rewarding to work with.

Kontakt 5 is $400

I have not bought Omnisphere, because I cannot believe one plugin at that price can be substantially, qualitatively and realistically so superior to those synths that it justifies spending more than twice the money on it.

Do you really get 20% more quality out of it than you do from Studio one 3 professional
(which is 20% cheaper)

(I appreciate the subjective vagueness of the concept 'good' but I think you understand my point)

I've read some forum threads on Omnisphere and the debate about if it's really just a Rompler or a genuine synthesizer.

Either way, no single synth or Rompler should be priced that high when other companies produce breathtaking software for less money. Finally, even Komplete is only $100 more than Omnisphere 2 and most readers know what that package offers.

You compare Omisphere with the wrong plugins really. Omnisphere is mainly so expensive, because it has gazillions of sampled instruments, and sounds. If you had an idea, or could imagine how much work sampling is, then you would have compared it with a large sample library. Actually, i am not aware of such a big sample library, so i wouldn't even know what to compare it to. And you have to add to that the pure plugin features of Omnisphere too, of course.

Regardless of that, i think there's only one thing which is important to judge the price of Omnisphere, or anything else really. And that is, whether it is worth it for the buyers, or not. With version 2 of Omisphere available, and the popularity it has gained, and the reputation it has, i would say that there are many people who feel like Omisphere IS worth what Spectrasonics ask for it.

chk071 wrote:

Kontakt 5 is $400

(which is 20% cheaper)

You compare Omisphere with the wrong plugins really. Omnisphere is mainly so expensive, because it has gazillions of sampled instruments, and sounds. If you had an idea, or could imagine how much work sampling is, then you would have compared it with a large sample library. Actually, i am not aware of such a big sample library, so i wouldn't even know what to compare it to. And you have to add to that the pure plugin features of Omnisphere too, of course.

Regardless of that, i think there's only one thing which is important to judge the price of Omnisphere, or anything else really. And that is, whether it is worth it for the buyers, or not. With version 2 of Omisphere available, and the popularity it has gained, and the reputation it has, i would say that there are many people who feel like Omisphere IS worth what Spectrasonics ask for it.
I agree! Other than Kontakt, if I was only allowed one VSTi, hands down it would be Omnisphere 2 because nothing else has the potential variety of sound. There is a reason the Omnisphere is one of the most used VSTi's among working composers who need a lot of variety fast. Trust me, if Omnisphere wasn't selling so well it wouldn't be priced as high as it is. You could literally spend a lifetime with Omni 2 and never run out of unique sound that can be created with it. People shouldn't hate it either just because they can't afford it, or they believe that it is priced too high. I would argue that a vast majority of people who earn a living from music and have invested in Omnisphere greatly appreciate it. In fact, everything I've purchased from Spectrasonics over the years has been a fantastic investment and has paid for itself 10 times over.

I've read all the arguments for and against.
I still hate popcorn.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

so much fat bloated people eating popcorn
fat beyond belief, but still want more.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

fmr wrote: WOW, I wouldn't imagine that KVR had so many people with an expertise in prostitution
You dont really think most of the losers here have girlfriends do you? :lol:

layzer wrote:
Kinh wrote: 5x more presets than others half the price
oh brother... :roll:
if you actually learned sound design you wouldn't have 500 presets that sound almost identical
except for a slight filter cutoff adjustment in your 500,000 omni presets.
I have learned sound design but im a producer and we trend to audition sounds rather than make them as we go.

Return to “Instruments”