DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

recursive one wrote:
kokotte wrote:Recursive, could you post a sound , not a song, hard to archive with dune( when you have some free time), i would like to try to reproduce it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IJ6vmhv3s

That's a fairly standart dark psytrance lead. The Serum patch uses FM between oscillators, I think in Dune you will have to use an osc as mod source at audio rate to achieve similar effect cause it's native FM is based on sine waves if i'm not mistaken.

If there will be some interest I may later render some sounds from Virus and you may try recreating them in Dune.
I ran out of time, but I quickly made a very similar patch in Dune 2 that's just as aggressive. Maybe even more so because I could use a bit of the filter distortion to get it beefier. I couldn't get it exact because I don't have those wavetables, and I didn't really feel like going though all my wavetables, but I bet I were motivated (I'm not, I don't care that much about that sound... or sounds like that) I could probably reproduce it nearly exactly with the right wavetable.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Gamma-UT wrote:I spent a little time this afternoon having a play around with Dune2 and knocked up this rough mix:

https://soundcloud.com/gamma-ut/thirdfr ... agmenttest

It's all Dune2 apart from the drums/perc, plus the reverb on the percussion and a single delay send for one of the sounds (the FM saw) because it was quicker to do that way than automate it in Dune2.

Yes, the synthetic dulcimer is because of "spytrance".
This sounds good, great arrangements and sounds. Reminds me on the latest UX album, kind of "cynematic goa". But to my taste the sounds which are not pads are a tad softer than they should be, and these FM farts are a bit weedy and way too noisy, not in a good way imo. Again, this is my personal taste, I prefer sounds which have more impact (sorry for vague terms)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

zerocrossing wrote:
recursive one wrote:
kokotte wrote:Recursive, could you post a sound , not a song, hard to archive with dune( when you have some free time), i would like to try to reproduce it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IJ6vmhv3s

That's a fairly standart dark psytrance lead. The Serum patch uses FM between oscillators, I think in Dune you will have to use an osc as mod source at audio rate to achieve similar effect cause it's native FM is based on sine waves if i'm not mistaken.

If there will be some interest I may later render some sounds from Virus and you may try recreating them in Dune.
I ran out of time, but I quickly made a very similar patch in Dune 2 that's just as aggressive. Maybe even more so because I could use a bit of the filter distortion to get it beefier. I couldn't get it exact because I don't have those wavetables, and I didn't really feel like going though all my wavetables, but I bet I were motivated (I'm not, I don't care that much about that sound... or sounds like that) I could probably reproduce it nearly exactly with the right wavetable.
Care to post the result?

Actually this sound depends more on FM than on specific wavetables. Sounds like that have been used in psy since forewer, they originate from FMing simple waveforms in Nord and Virus. I'm usually making these sounnds in Virus by FMing a saw in "pos triangle" mode and also I made several similar patches in Serum using different wavetables. I'm not talking about recreating this exact example at 100%, just getting the sounds in the same ballpark.

This may be not the prettiest sound ever invented by mankind but IMO it is a good test of a synth' ability to handle very fast modulations. It should be ripping, clean and powerful, not weedy or noisy.

I'm well aware that Dune accepts 3rd party WTs and have a collection of those. Also I've heard these demos you've posted and even listened the one by Ayin Zahev very closely to see if it changes my opinion on the synth (it didn't. But who will say that Ayin Zahev is a bad sound-designer?)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:This sounds good, great arrangements and sounds. Reminds me on the latest UX album, kind of "cynematic goa". But to my taste the sounds which are not pads are a tad softer than they should be, and these FM farts are a bit weedy and way too noisy, not in a good way imo. Again, this is my personal taste, I prefer sounds which have more impact (sorry for vague terms)
Thanks.

The Nord-style "saw-on-saw" FM was done using a three-operator FM oscillator rather than audio-rate modulation on the sawtooth as I wanted to experiment with modulating the feedback oscillator used to generate one of the sawtooth waveforms. I might have a go at trying to match using a 'scope against a sample as I think it's possible to get closer but not purely by ear, but it's going to break up in different ways to a Nord with modulation added.

What if people simply stopped expressing themselves in universals a la "Synth X is bad for style Y" as if their take on it was the standard of 7 billions people on Earth and instead expressed themselves in particulars only like "For the type of sounds I like to use in my particular version of style A, I am struggling more with Synth X than Synth Y"? Would it make a difference, I wonder?

On the positive side, all arguments could transfer into informative exchange of the scope of views and diversity of contexts from which personal benefits or drawbacks of different gear could be derived.

On the negative side, such exchanges may be really boring compared to flame wars and bickerings about pointless pseudo-objective issues. Further, it may lead to hard depressions and maybe even suicide once 95% of forum members realize that they mindlessly have spend half a life time discussing subjective issues as if they were questions of scientific facts.

Nah better stick to the universals then: So is D2 good for Psy Trance or not?

IncarnateX wrote:So is D2 good for Psy Trance or not?
Apparently not.

Who cares. No instrument is suitable for any kind of music in existence. DUNE 2 is amazing as it is.

Yorrrrrr wrote:Who cares. No instrument is suitable for any kind of music in existence. DUNE 2 is amazing as it is.
How dare you?!!

Not with Virus and Spire!

:hihi:

The 's-synths' apparently can also make coffee.

Come on now! Spire can make you all kinds of coffee, not just a "coffee", while Virus can iron your shirts and pants as well.
Can Dune 2 do that? Of course not!

Spire's coffee is quite punchy. Just what you need in the morning. :P (I don't drink coffee though. Never liked the taste, or the idea of only getting awake with the help of external substances. Or the social aspect surrounding it.)

chk071 wrote:Spire's coffee is quite punchy. Just what you need in the morning. :P (I don't drink coffee though. Never liked the taste, or the idea of only getting awake with the help of external substances. Or the social aspect surrounding it.)
I don't know how "punchy" is that coffee. Yorrrrrr is from Colombia, and can tell us, as Colombia has the best coffee in the world ;)

Punchy, but harsh and aggresive, expresso coffee. I like soft, decaf coffee too. There are times and opportunities for both kinds of coffee, so it's not a matter of either-or. I've had both Spire and DUNE 2 happily coexisting in my studio and they make a tremendous coffee making duo.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

:tu:

Coffee eh? Pfft. DIVA will blow you away.

Return to “Instruments”