Zappa - what a tight music arranger

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: I've long ago, however, learned to dismiss viewpoints of internet cranks who are too lazy to provide scholarly references.
This dismissal would be more convincing if it didn't come 10 pages after you failed even to acknowledge the words of Nicolas Slonimsky, an internationally recognized musicologist who has edited the New International Cyclopedia of Music and Musicians and Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, as well as writing classics like Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns, Lexicon of Musical Invective and the pioneering Music of Latin America.

In addition to all this, he taught at the Boston Conservatory for years, and was the Pianist in residence at the Boston Symphony under Koussevitzky. And he referred to FZ as a musical genius.

You ignore this completely, which is certainly your right. But it does make your insistence on scholarly references look a little less compelling.

herodotus wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: I've long ago, however, learned to dismiss viewpoints of internet cranks who are too lazy to provide scholarly references.
This dismissal would be more convincing if it didn't come 10 pages after you failed even to acknowledge the words of Nicolas Slonimsky, an internationally recognized musicologist who has edited the New International Cyclopedia of Music and Musicians and Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, as well as writing classics like Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns, Lexicon of Musical Invective and the pioneering Music of Latin America.

In addition to all this, he taught at the Boston Conservatory for years, and was the Pianist in residence at the Boston Symphony under Koussevitzky. And he referred to FZ as a musical genius.
So? That isn't the same as research on how the brain perceives rhythm. His label of "genius" was not subject to peer review in any sense of the word. You seem to not grok my discussion of the word and the associated implications. It means nothing.

Cite Slonimsky's work on musicology in a relevant context and I'll pay attention. Citing bona-fides just to give weight to an opinion is just a variant of appeal to authority.

You can dislike my opinion all you like, however, you have no more authority than jancivil to dismiss the actual work of other scholars. Nor does any assertion that FZ is a genius change any of that.

He sure knew how to use a Synclavier.

Such a shame he died at an early age. All the added possibilities of modern DAWs and plugins would be perfect tools for his genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGmKwC8T1lI

Love this guy's stuff. Hangs on some ideas a little long for a modern listener but the flow of it all is f*ckin genius.

I stand corrected. Music isn't about pretention or trying to be interesting. 108 time changes don't make a piece more interesting IMHO. Arrangements either. Or progressions whatsoever.

It's about composition. To demonstrate this you can take a very simple theme. And then start composing from that. For instance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CNu-LfxN5w
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Composition is one element. But not superior to many other aspects, which are essential when judging music "good" or "less interesting".

Harry_HH wrote:Composition is one element. But not superior to many other aspects, which are essential when judging music "good" or "less interesting".
Ah I see.. it's about "superiority". Judging music? "Essential?" What the hell are you talking about?
I thought people listened to music for pleasure; it's entertainment.

Speaking of entertainment: I can't listen here (Holland) to Zappa or Hendrix originials on yt JUST because people think it's "interesting." Check out the Beatles..... lol get the picture? I still stand corrected :D

And this is weird because I can listen to all Bowie's music at emimusic... or this music:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt566c8a97M

Is your wife snoring by the sink?
Ain't your life boring, don't you think
Life is so much better when there's some little something to
USE

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?
HMMMM?

https://youtu.be/YRWAXGTVbiY?t=6m

I can't believe this is going on.

I like him, but "valley girl" is still my fav. Why? Because it was spot on, funny, musical, interesting and the idea of "moon unit" being someones name fascinates me.

moon unit starred in a 'curb your enthusiasm' episode -- 'the blind date'.

Xiangqi wrote:moon unit starred in a 'curb your enthusiasm' episode -- 'the blind date'.
I've noticed she has participated on the most motley kind of events during the past years. :party:

P.s. Once you mentioned the "Curb", I've always wondered why the people have to yell all the time in the Larry David's sitcoms. I love the Seinfeld (as 238543276 others) but especially Mr&Mrs Costanza were yellers and the same shouting goes on in the "Curb".

Anyway, Joe's Garage is his opus magnum IMHO.

"Some people think that if they go too far, they'll never get back to where the rest of them are."

It's weird that he didn't release 'A Token Of My Extreme' as a single. I think it's his most catchy song.

Trust me. I know these things :)

My personal fav album is the live "Broadway The Hard Way" from '88

Rappo Clappo wrote:This one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5186078/

Frank Zappa & The Mothers - Roxy The Movie DVD Tracklist:
Wow. :)

BARF

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”