Last Windows 10 update deinstalled some plugins...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So...

I just went to load Dune 2 up in a Live project, and... it wasn't there. Gone. I noticed Air's Vacuum Pro is gone too. WTF?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:So...

I just went to load Dune 2 up in a Live project, and... it wasn't there. Gone. I noticed Air's Vacuum Pro is gone too. WTF?
Some of the latest Windows updates actually replace your installation of Windows with another one. (The "Creators [sic] Update", and at least one other recent one do this.) It could just be there was some corruption to the Windows Registry during this process. I've seen it with my client machines, though only once out of about 40 updates so far.

Microsoft can't legally remove software you own. Are the VSTs gone along with their installation folders, or is it just that they don't show up in your DAW?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:

Some of the latest Windows updates actually replace your installation of Windows with another one. (The "Creators [sic] Update", and at least one other recent one do this.) It could just be there was some corruption to the Windows Registry during this process. I've seen it with my client machines, though only once out of about 40 updates so far.

Microsoft can't legally remove software you own. Are the VSTs gone along with their installation folders, or is it just that they don't show up in your DAW?

Steve
Seems like the resource files were fine. Just the .dlls are gone.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

planetearth wrote:Some of the latest Windows updates actually replace your installation of Windows with another one.
W-w-wha? That's the most ridiculous untruth i ever read about Windows 10. And i heard a lot really. Seriously, is there some kind of global source for all that BS? Some kind of uber-brain of the internet, which is none, because it's rather a uber-butt?

I think you should rather check the software on your "client machines", and see if there's a security suite, of some similar bullshit, which is known to do odd stuff like that, on Windows updates.

chk071 wrote:
planetearth wrote:Some of the latest Windows updates actually replace your installation of Windows with another one.
W-w-wha? That's the most ridiculous untruth i ever read about Windows 10. And i heard a lot really. Seriously, is there some kind of global source for all that BS? Some kind of uber-brain of the internet, which is none, because it's rather a uber-butt?

I think you should rather check the software on your "client machines", and see if there's a security suite, of some similar bullshit, which is known to do odd stuff like that, on Windows updates.
The Creators Update and at least one of the updates after that "refresh" Windows by essentially re-installing most of it. That's why you end up with two folders on your hard drive that contain your old installation of Windows: "Windows.old" and "Windows.~BT"

But of course, you don't have to take my word for it :roll: :
https://www.howtogeek.com/268667/what-i ... -delete-it

https://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-i ... delete-it/

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

zerocrossing wrote:
planetearth wrote:

Steve
Seems like the resource files were fine. Just the .dlls are gone.
Did you check the Recycle Bin? Or check the date on the folder to see when it was last modified. You can use the free Recuva tool from Piriform.com to "un-delete" your .DLLs. That may be all you need to do.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

If Windows (or any other app) had un-installed the synths, everything would be gone, as you probably already know. And ironically, if you've moved your VST .DLLs to a custom folder (as I do) after the installation, the un-installer may not have un-installed the .DLLs at all. (Only if you choose a custom folder during the installation will the un-install routine know where to find the .DLLs to remove them. If you move them after you've installed the VST, they'll stay there until you manually delete them.)

Steve

planetearth wrote:
chk071 wrote:

The Creators Update and at least one of the updates after that "refresh" Windows by essentially re-installing most of it. That's why you end up with two folders on your hard drive that contain your old installation of Windows: "Windows.old" and "Windows.~BT"

Steve
Exactly. There have been three big updates for Windows 10: 1511, 1607 and 1703. All of them practically swapped the current Windows installation with a new one, which made it easier to roll back in case something went wrong (it happened to me once and I got back to my previous, unchanged version).

paterpeter wrote:
planetearth wrote:
chk071 wrote:

Steve
Exactly. There have been three big updates for Windows 10: 1511, 1607 and 1703. All of them practically swapped the current Windows installation with a new one, which made it easier to roll back in case something went wrong (it happened to me once and I got back to my previous, unchanged version).
Thanks, @paterpeter. I haven't had to roll back any installations yet on my or my clients' computers, but I've helped friends who've had to deal with it. I'm pretty sure I'll have to face it eventually. Can't dodge the bullet forever. Eventually, one will find you. :wink:

Steve

The thing is, it won't just uninstall stuff, or delete files. Typically happens when there's a security suite, or some similar software installed, which messes with the system, and prevents the Windows update to access, or take over some files. I have read a lot of that happening. My apologies though, my reply definitely was too harsh. I have read so many wrong claims about Windows 10 by now though, that i've gotten quite allergic to stuff like this. Probably best to not reply to topics involving Windows 10 at all anymore.

chk071 wrote:The thing is, it won't just uninstall stuff, or delete files. Typically happens when there's a security suite, or some similar software installed, which messes with the system, and prevents the Windows update to access, or take over some files. I have read a lot of that happening. My apologies though, my reply definitely was too harsh. I have read so many wrong claims about Windows 10 by now though, that i've gotten quite allergic to stuff like this. Probably best to not reply to topics involving Windows 10 at all anymore.
Actually it does deinstall incompatible software in the process. For example the mentioned security suites.
No signature here!

Yes, if those are old versions, which haven't been developed against the latest update. Developers usually have a bit time before the updates, to make their software work with the upcoming updates. Anyway, it never uninstalled anything here, and i haven't heard from anyone else i know either, that something was uninstalled. Actually, i only know such cases from the net, alongside with all sorts of weird issues, resulting from using one of those awesome security suites, and speed, cleanup, or whatever-up utilities.

You know, all that great stuff people install to speed up, oops, i mean, f*** up their system.

There's crapton of information about all kinds of software being removed. Win 10 will uninstall anything it does not like. It's definitely not limited to security software. I've seen even older versions of Office uninstalled even though they worked just fine after reinstalling. And of course, Win 10 will not inform users about anything it uninstalled.
No signature here!

Could this be the copy protection thinking you've got a different computer? I know people had trouble with soft iLok after the 'big' Windows updates that essentially replace the OS. You'd think they'd have spotted the "soft iLok destroys your licenses forever" issue fairly quickly when testing the development branch. It's hardly subtle.

It hasn't affected me as far as I know (despite having some super old and cranky shit installed) but that stuff about Windows 10 automatically removing programs is shocking. Had a little read around and I'm astonished it just does it without even asking permission. Yeah, you've got 30 days to check c:\Windows.old, but you're hardly going to stumble into a hidden folder if you haven't clicked anything's wrong in the first place. Programs you use infrequently etc.

"such 3 dimensional thinking, us borg have assimilated your tech"

It's love/hate with 10. On one hand, it works great. On the other, the borg-queen updates (and yes, enforced on 99% of machines) are annoying.

I wish there was a way for the majority of us to stop the updates, but there isn't (shut up, you're wrong :lol: )

chk071 wrote:The thing is, it won't just uninstall stuff, or delete files. Typically happens when there's a security suite, or some similar software installed, which messes with the system, and prevents the Windows update to access, or take over some files. I have read a lot of that happening. My apologies though, my reply definitely was too harsh. I have read so many wrong claims about Windows 10 by now though, that i've gotten quite allergic to stuff like this. Probably best to not reply to topics involving Windows 10 at all anymore.
No worries. I've read a lot of rants about Win10 too, and I spend my days fixing (or bypassing) its various problems for my clients. Fortunately, that's what I've chosen to do as a job. Otherwise, I'd go insane. :wink:

Steve

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”