RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Recursive:
a quick try base on the tut vid :
https://soundcloud.com/kokotteonline/recursive-spy

the preset with 2 spy Wavetables:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmkvu39nnwivg ... y.zip?dl=0

compare to the tut vid, it's more agressive and the notes have more duration, be indulgent, it's a first try...
but with this 2 wt, you could be abble to Spyce your Dune.

Not my style but i will try to add some harder/harsh things.
Here my first try to make a Hard Lead kind of thing.
Again just one OSC, no FX (just used the filter FX and lots of audio rate modulation).
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... -lead-demo

Now add more unison and 2 more OSC....and then there are 7 more layers as well.
This thing is a beast.
I used a wavetable (which came with the default version).
Depending on the wavetable and you can use MSEG at audio rate you can get more aggressive too. :D

Cinebient wrote:Not my style but i will try to add some harder/harsh things.
Again just one OSC, no FX (just used the filter FX and lots of audio rate modulation).
:-o :help:

BTW, apart from it sounding pretty unpleasant, i miss the bass as well.

chk071 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Not my style but i will try to add some harder/harsh things.
:-o :help:
:D Now that i start to play with i have fun to create some "brutal" sounds.
Oh, damn this thing can break walls. Now i have headache when i start to add FX plus more OSC and more modulations :hihi:

Here the same unpleasant patch just with another wavetable and lower pitch in the OSC.
So these are just weird experiments after some minutes and i just played a few random notes on my computer keyboard. But with some time i think it can get pretty hard, snappy, bassy, whatever.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... -bass-demo
I mean i tested Serum, Spire and the other famous ones and i didn´t liked them but that is my personal preference. All these synths are good for sure and offer a different character and way to achieve sounds.

Seriously, all the Dune patches sound like they were EQ'd wrongly, or something. Sorry, you were asking for an opinion, and posted the sounds to prove something. I cannot confirm.

chk071 wrote:Seriously, all the Dune patches sound like they were EQ'd wrongly, or something. Sorry, you were asking for an opinion, and posted the sounds to prove something. I cannot confirm.
No problem. Eq´d wrongly is a curious statement but whatever.
Like i said i found Dune 2 can sound whatever i like to if i take the time and for me it´s better to add dirt instead of the other way.
I really hated the sound of Serum, Massive. I like Spire more but not my cup of tea too.
But since it´s a Dune 2 thread. Dune 2 is the king :D :D :D
(but the most punchy synth for me is Dagger anyway :wink: )

I totally get that this is a matter of taste. I just don't get why you want to prove that Dune can do other than soft and mellow though, because other synths simply smoke it for that kind of sounds. It just isn't punchy, raw, thick, and saturated enough. But, you know, that's cool, if you're into mellow.

chk071 wrote:I totally get that this is a matter of taste. I just don't get why you want to prove that Dune can do other than soft and mellow though, because other synths simply smoke it for that kind of sounds. It just isn't punchy, raw, thick, and saturated enough. But, you know, that's cool, if you're into mellow.
Like i said, for me it´s the other way (beside Dagger).
I think we won´t agree ever. So let´s go on. :D

chk071 wrote:Seriously, all the Dune patches sound like they were EQ'd wrongly, or something. Sorry, you were asking for an opinion, and posted the sounds to prove something. I cannot confirm.
opinion is always good, and i don't need to prove anything, it's more a curiosity, learn something new, i don't do that for prove dune superiority, nobody say that.
eq'd wrongly, possible but have you listen the spy tut post by Recursive? the sound is low like a bass but have a lead function, with any sub in it.

Kokotte, a good attempt with Dune2, commendable personal synthesis skills. The crux of the matter for myself is as follows.

Why would I use any synth other than the best one available for a specific sound ? (assuming it is economically viable for the end user) I would personally use the liquiddy sounding and very defined Serum FM compared with the metallic, somewhat blurry and ill defined sounding Dune2 version. And so on infinitum... with all synths capable of excelling in a specific are of sound generation/synthesis, pads, VA, FM, WT, LFO space effects, basses, subs, glassy sounds, warm sounds, cold harsh sounds etc. etc. Some synths just sound sweeter and better (and their characters, precision, tightness, richness, spectral content are subjectively optimal) than others for certain types of synthesis.

I choose my synths for each sound based on competence for specific sounds I like/need and prefer that greatly over a jack of all trades, master of none.

I would like the best sounds I can make, nothwithstanding my own synthesis abilities, not the "That'll do" sounds.

Yo can serum get that blurry and ill defined fm sound as easy as dune? hahahah
Yea so the limitations of a synth for making a sound like another synth? You can get some cool sounds that seem shit but work in some music that just wont sound right without that blurry f*cked up whatever sound. Sometimes it's the limits of a synth that make it sing man.

Synthman2000 wrote:Kokotte, a good attempt with Dune2, commendable personal synthesis skills. The crux of the matter for myself is as follows.

Why would I use any synth other than the best one available for a specific sound ? (assuming it is economically viable for the end user) I would personally use the liquiddy sounding and very defined Serum FM compared with the metallic, somewhat blurry and ill defined sounding Dune2 version. And so on infinitum... with all synths capable of excelling in a specific are of sound generation/synthesis, pads, VA, FM, WT, LFO space effects, basses, subs, glassy sounds, awr sounds, cold harsh sounds etc. etc. Some synths just sound sweeter and better (and their characters are subjectively optimal) than others for certain types of synthesis.

I choose my synths for each sound based on competence for specific sounds I like/need and prefer that greatly over a jack of all trades, master of none.

I would like the best sounds I can make, nothwithstanding my own synthesis abilities, not the "That'll do" sounds.
Of course that is true. No one really would disagree here (or?).
But yeah, sometimes you want not 20 synths of course and try to replace a few with one (even if that is not really possible).
The listener today anyway listens to crappy iPhone headphones and don´t give a shit or would hear a different between a square and a saw tooth wave :D
But yeah, i totally agree that i also prefer some synths for some special sounds.
But these things will go on forever on KVR.
W all seems to have to much time and are bored :)

chk071 wrote:I totally get that this is a matter of taste. I just don't get why you want to prove that Dune can do other than soft and mellow though, because other synths simply smoke it for that kind of sounds. It just isn't punchy, raw, thick, and saturated enough. But, you know, that's cool, if you're into mellow.
Can I ask what kind of monitors or headphones you use? It seems SA and u-he synths are not compatible with your monitors as you always describe them as thin or not punchy (and now mellow)! You are just repeating what the Spy guy said! If you search this thread, you'll find you are the only two who is claiming this and use Spire as the higher synth!

Anyway, people have ears and they can demo both synths and choose. Nobody is stupid or easily brain washed ;)

When exactly have i claimed that u-he synths sound thin, and not punchy? Citation needed. :P I once wrote that they have a bit of a "metallic" sound altogether, but, that simply is a character that some of the modelled analog machines seems to share with them. IMO, u-he is one of the best in the business, alongside NI, in terms of analog modelling.

Return to “Instruments”