Hardware Synths to Mixer to Interface?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another option is a 19" rackmount mixer. I have a Samson SM10 as a sub mixer for my synths and samplers. Ten stereo channels (they work in mono too) each with pan control, volume and one send, main stereo line out (with volume control), mono line out and headphone out.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-SASM10- ... B004K1UKH8

Interesting. I do like this because I currently have an unused 2U custom rack that is only being used as monitor stand at the moment... lol

Which would you recommend? I'm unaware of pros/cons of the traditional analog mixer format vs rackmount.
Last edited by totheatom on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry, again. In my haste, I keep hitting quote instead of edit and double posting. Wish there was a way to delete...

I looked at the Samson RU,
one advantage a mixer has is a visual on the levels

I like Samson though, I currently have Samson speakers on this stereo

edit-another is ease of plugging/unplugging

Very interesting feedback, everyone. Thanks, again!

One thing I'm noticing is that all of the mixers seem to have TRS inputs. Should I assume they'll be able to handle the unbalanced output from my Sledge? If so, should I be getting a TS cable to connect the two (as was recommended for the Sledge) or a TRS?

cool, welcome, nice to meet you!

AFAIK mixer inputs are TS, except for mic inputs

So I have a question too,
can we ever screw up using unbalanced connectors instead of balanced ones?
I will have to call on a higher power, as I don't understand balanced signals, sorry

-- the inputs on the Samson RU are trs stereo I understand

I believe I'm going to go with a Mackie 802VLZ4. Seems to me to be the most affordable option within a reasonable price range. Should I have any reservation? The 1202VLZ4 seems like a bit more than I need for a while.

Here's another I knew of:-
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... 16_top.jpg

I think the only drawback to the Mackie,
is that there is no MIDI in, but what mixer has that anyway.

I have found that there is a lifetime to Onyx mixers.
I am onto my second one. The controls get full of dust, and start contacting shonky.
My first one is in the shop getting a clean/service

I think you will be happy though, by all means use the USB and have a good hard listen to it to see if the recordings are up to scratch.

Went ahead and purchased a Mackie 1202VLZ4 Mixer, which has balanced and unbalanced options to for the main outputs. Still unclear if I should connect the Mackie to my RME Babyface Pro via XLR to the two balanced inputs on the back of the unit or via TS to the two unbalanced inputs on the side of the unit?

All things being equal, I would prefer to connect via TS because it frees up those higher quality RME input pres to use with mics in the future. However, that's only a future consideration. If the XLR connection will be a cleaner signal for the short term, I will go ahead with that option.

Thoughts?

hmm peeps-
is there the possibility of feedback loops here?
I think if you monitor the mix you are feeding back into the Babyface-
u may get a fb loop?
That's why I thought using USB would be better

Personally I don't use balanced signals, only on mics

Are you planning using the XLR outs on the babyface for your monitors? Balanced connections should give the best quality (lowest noise), but in practise you may not notice much difference. If you prefer the babyface mic preamps, connect the Mackie to the line ins (3 & 4).

No feedback loops should occur unless you connect the babyface into a channel on the Mackie (with your monitors also connected directly to the Mackie).

My setup goes:
Computer connected to audio interface via USB, active monitors connected to audio interface main outs via balanced cables.

Mixing desk connected from Tape Out to Line In 1 & 2 on the audio interface with a balanced stereo (phono to 1/4" jack) cable.

If I need to record microphones I disconnect the mixer and plug the mics in direct to the interface. Noisefloor is very low ...

That's a smart way to go about it! The monitors are already connected to the XLR outs on the back of the Babyface. I think I'll go ahead and do exactly as you have been because I don't forsee a need to use a mic and the instruments going into the mixer at the same, for the time being. So, plugging in and out, as needed, makes a lot of sense. Cheers to both of you for your help!

nix808 wrote:PS- these 2 things come to mind
-there is some sort of phenomenon where stuff needs more stuff, like a law of some kind hehe
-Your studio will impress anyone who doesn't make music if ya have a mixer hehe
Loved this, by the way. Aint't it the truth!!!

8D
Those 2 come from the traps 'round here KVR parts

Enjoy the new bounty!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”