DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

chk071 wrote:All i know is that is sounds very familiar to the Schulze's, Namlook's, and all those funk artists making extensive use of the real thing. Good enough for me.
Hey it's all that matters man. Make a sound... work it, love it.

kokotte wrote:Recursive:
a quick try base on the tut vid :
https://soundcloud.com/kokotteonline/recursive-spy

the preset with 2 spy Wavetables:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmkvu39nnwivg ... y.zip?dl=0

compare to the tut vid, it's more agressive and the notes have more duration, be indulgent, it's a first try...
but with this 2 wt, you could be abble to Spyce your Dune.
This actually sounds quite good and pretty close to the target sound :tu: Great job!
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Cinebient wrote:Not my style but i will try to add some harder/harsh things.
Here my first try to make a Hard Lead kind of thing.
Again just one OSC, no FX (just used the filter FX and lots of audio rate modulation).
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... -lead-demo

Now add more unison and 2 more OSC....and then there are 7 more layers as well.
This thing is a beast.
I used a wavetable (which came with the default version).
Depending on the wavetable and you can use MSEG at audio rate you can get more aggressive too. :D
Not sure I like this :? Too much distortion I guess. I know you are making good sounds of more mellow kind and also I guess your music preferences are in ambient or cinematic area (my deduction skills are beyond imaginable! :D ) so probably more edgy stuff is not your thing. Making a great "agressive" sound doesn't mean making it as dirty and harsh as possible.

Listening to the Kokotte's take on repeat. Good sound,sure but still, there is some "plastic" quality in it which doesn't quite fit. Though I think it may be fixed by some processing.

Here is an example of a similar sound made in Virus (from 3:00)

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/mothers-womb

That´s what i meant. It´s close to useless to discuss. For me that virus sound is not aggressive....more chilled :wink:
My best bet would be Sunrizer for this then.
But you´re right, not my genre anymore. I grow up in the 90´s trance and goa scene, even was on a hardcore gabba trip for some time but then gone back to trance (when it really felt like trance, not that EDM from today which is called trance too sometimes).
I try to live without genres and follow no rules. Not possible always.
Now i´m more into ambient, cinematic and chilled stuff. F.e. i´m a big fan of Astropilot (well, some things from him might be close to goa and psy).
But anyway it´s not so important. We all use what we like and the great thing today is we all have this tools available these days for not too much money.
I listen back to some of my favorite 90´s trance /hard trance stuff (f.e. i loved Nostrum) and even appreciate more what they done in the past.
But a lot newer tracks offer much more depth, detail and more interesting sounds these days.
I´m especially a fan where electronic is mixed with real acoustic and organic sounds.
But since today there must be 10000´s genres and sub-genres i just listen to "music" :D
Last edited by Cinebient on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F.e. (a bit off topic) this sounds "hard" and aggressive to me. Is a kind of neurostep or so.
Indeed created on an iPhone with synths only (from a coming app i´m waiting for).
https://soundcloud.com/blip-interactive/bite-me
Sorry, i stop that off topic now. We agree that we never agree, or?

Sorry, I don't understand what people mean by "aggressive", "mellow", "no bottom" ... etc.

All that talk hasn't changed my mind a bit about how amazing Dune 2 is :) fanboy or not, if there are no clear examples put by you (not songs), then all that is just imagination driven by an established stereotype or biased attitude ;)

Dune 2 can be aggressive enough for me. If I want more aggressive sound, I'd go for Reaktor or Bazille. If I want something "different", I'd use Massive, Largo or any wavetable synth.

To be honest, I'm glad that I care more about the actual music and content than the tiny details about the sound! I just use what I like and find it inspiring. Dune 2 in this case is a very inspiring synth for me.

I prefer to waste my time on other activities or making actual music, so I'm out of this discussion, just checking for the news of D3 :)

I just make music.

EnGee wrote:
To be honest, I'm glad that I care more about the actual music and content than the tiny details about the sound! I just use what I like and find it inspiring.
This was my attitute for few years. What I have now as a result is a bunch of tracks which may even have some good musical ideas (well, maybe not that good... I can't judge myself but these sounds and melodies do mean something for me) let down by poor production, wrong sound choises and lack of attention to the tiny details which actually separate amateur production from the pro stuff. Now I'm trying to change this so maybe I'm now somehow leaning over backwards.

recursive one wrote:This was my attitute for few years. What I have now as a result is a bunch of tracks which may even have some good musical ideas (well, maybe not that good... I can't judge myself but these sounds and melodies do mean something for me) let down by poor production, wrong sound choises and lack of attention to the tiny details which actually separate amateur production from the pro stuff. Now I'm trying to change this so maybe I'm now somehow leaning over backwards.
So make more and keep movin? Learn as you go, there's always gonna be a trail of mistakes and casualties man. Can't dwell.

After getting a little exhaused trying to wade through this thread,all i can say is that there is a whole world of thinking and realisation that exists quite happily away the KVR forums :o

These posts get a little hard going with personal attacks that yield very little benefit :dog:

We should all try to live in a more positive environment :wink:
No auto tune...

"But yeah, sometimes you want not 20 synths of course and try to replace a few with one (even if that is not really possible)."

That is not my approach. I ususually have 15 synths from various developers and usually multiples of them. I use the synth that provides the best sound or is likely to proviode the best sound for the task. I never use any given synth and force it into a place it is not comfortable for my ears and/or its abilities. Luckily I don't have to.

"The listener today anyway listens to crappy iPhone headphones and don´t give a shit or would hear a different between a square and a saw tooth wave"

That is their choice. I am not making a track for them. It is about what I think sounds good and right, I am making music for people who agree with me. :P I don't let peoples earbud benchmark determine the quaility level I aspire to.

Everyone can do as they please of course. People have differing aspirations, goals etc. Even musical tastes.

I like what I like and do what I like. (or am able to). It is not my job to make people like something they don't and vice versa. Discussing it can be interesting though up until the point where you feel the energy is better spent doing and not saying.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding at the heart of this. Someone says: "This synth is no good for Style X." When what they mean is: "I don't like using it for Style X when I can get what I want from Synth Y."

People, naturally, say to the first claim: "Hold up. That doesn't sound right. It's a synth that has a bunch of attributes that lend itself to Style X even if you don't think so."

And so it goes. The second claim isn't nearly as pejorative, so isn't going to get the same reaction.

However, there is a lot to be said for looking more closely at why Synth Y does a particular job and not another one. It rarely comes down to "this synth isn't snappy/punchy/stabby/syrupy". It's more the interaction between different parts of the sound-generation apparatus that mean some precise sounds are unavailable on one engine using a particular method. For example pulse-on-saw or saw-on-saw FM in Dune2 through audio-rate modulation will not work like a Nord because it's doing 'real' FM and not a form of phase modulation that the Nord seems to do. Simply then writing off one synth as "not punchy" as a catchall because it doesn't work in a particular is just calculated to wind others up (unless they take the approach that people who go in for that kind of hyperbole don't generally have useful opinions).

Gamma-UT wrote: However, there is a lot to be said for looking more closely at why Synth Y does a particular job and not another one. It rarely comes down to "this synth isn't snappy/punchy/stabby/syrupy". It's more the interaction between different parts of the sound-generation apparatus that mean some precise sounds are unavailable on one engine using a particular method.
:lol:

Best way to beat around the bush. :tu: But why not come straight to the subject? Noone HAS to feel offended when you say something is more snappy/punchy/whatever than the other thing. It is the people's choice to feel offended. Or have another opinion on the subject.

Synthman2000 wrote:"But yeah, sometimes you want not 20 synths of course and try to replace a few with one (even if that is not really possible)."

That is not my approach. I ususually have 15 synths from various developers and usually multiples of them. I use the synth that provides the best sound or is likely to proviode the best sound for the task. I never use any given synth and force it into a place it is not comfortable for my ears and/or its abilities. Luckily I don't have to.
Yep, makes sense to me. Since softsynths consume no physical space, there is no need to limit the amount of synths that much. And for preset users (which may well be the majority of users) it is even more important to have the choice.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Return to “Instruments”