August Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have something kind of fun in mind for the month of August. Just thinking, not related to anything in particular, but is there anything better than going to a live performance of a band you really like? :wink:
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

DrApostropheX wrote:is there anything better than going to a live performance of a band you really like? :wink:
Have you seen audiences lately? I come to see the band, not a bunch of asswipes waving their phones in my face.

(Also, get off my lawn, etc.)

DrApostropheX wrote:is there anything better than going to a live performance of a band you really like? :wink:
mmmhh... :?
Is it meant to lead us to emulation ? something like that ?

DrApostropheX wrote:. . . but is there anything better than going to a live performance of a band you really like?
Frankly; the last few concerts I've been to have been terribly disappointing. Primarily, as farlukar points out, b/c of the audience.
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I've stopped going to the concert because of terrible live audio experience.

Going to live *local* bands are where it's at

Okay, so apparently almost anything is better than going to a live concert performance.

But is there anything better than simulating a live concert performance from the comfort of your own studio?

Just played a show last night, to a venue full of self-important twenty-somethings, all wearing more or less the exact same "look how different i am" outfit, talking about how much more rad the scene is in some city a thousand miles away. The lead singer of the opening act took a selfie between songs. A thick girl with ripped up leggings and bargain basement tattoos was compelled to tell everyone how she's in the band and that whatever you're talking about, she already has a song about it. The place reeked of vaguely-cotton candy-esque vape juice, coffee IPA from a nitrogen keg, american spirit perique cigarettes, and the grease of meticulously-tousled hair that hadn't been graced with even a droplet of shampoo since the At The Drive In Mars Volta reunion. Musicians paid full price for their drinks. People thought the pool table was a great place to put their empty glasses. The "sound guy" bartender's buddy thought that having the vocals clipping the PA was "rock & roll." Et cetera.

I made $11 though, so it was a net positive. Plus, there was a cute girl who managed to dance to all of our odd time signatures, even while holding her phone in front of her face.

August is festival season for me.

I must admit I'm going to a lot less gigs nowadays.

Too expensive.

DrApostropheX wrote:But is there anything better than simulating a live concert performance from the comfort of your own studio?
Since I've already been referencing a few ancient contest entries I might as well add this one:
"Thank you, crowd samples!"
:hihi:

DrApostropheX:

Can you give us the scope of the theme?

funky lime wrote:Just played a show last night, to a venue full of self-important twenty-somethings, all wearing more or less the exact same "look how different i am" outfit, talking about how much more rad the scene is in some city a thousand miles away. The lead singer of the opening act took a selfie between songs. A thick girl with ripped up leggings and bargain basement tattoos was compelled to tell everyone how she's in the band and that whatever you're talking about, she already has a song about it. The place reeked of vaguely-cotton candy-esque vape juice, coffee IPA from a nitrogen keg, american spirit perique cigarettes, and the grease of meticulously-tousled hair that hadn't been graced with even a droplet of shampoo since the At The Drive In Mars Volta reunion. Musicians paid full price for their drinks. People thought the pool table was a great place to put their empty glasses. The "sound guy" bartender's buddy thought that having the vocals clipping the PA was "rock & roll." Et cetera.

I made $11 though, so it was a net positive. Plus, there was a cute girl who managed to dance to all of our odd time signatures, even while holding her phone in front of her face.
You crazy kids, you don't know how good you've got it. I remember playing guitar in a band at a gig to just 4 German tourists in identical tracksuits in the 90s. Oh, hold on, that was actually probably the best we ever played, and they bought us all drinks too.

Submissions thread is active! Have fun! :)

Inspiration for Playing live

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cH2guTTyX8s

Thanks to Laguna Rising, who did all of the homework here, the Hall of Fame thread(s) have been updated! Due to a 70,000 character limit for KVR Posts, I've had to split the thread into a 2002-2016 thread and then a 2017-whenever we hit that limit again thread.

Thanks again, Laguna Rising! You're a true KVR All Star!

Return to “Music Cafe”