Which Synth has the Highest Quality Oscillators

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:So, to get back to topic: What exactly do you mean with "high quality oscillators"? Don't think you elaborated on that, so far. At least not in understandable words, the geometry comparison doesn't quite cut it, i'm afraid.
I guess he means no aliasing at all. Is that even possible in a VST with today's processors?

As far as i always read, it is technically impossible. So, there's rather "as minimal aliasing as possible". Anyway, i still don't think the quality of the oscillators is a thing on VA's nowadays. No idea where OP is coming from there. I'd rather say, on a typical VA, think Spire, Sylenth, Dune, the filters are the big shortcoming. Imagine a VA with a filter like Monark. I'm sure it will be possible one day, when devs brought down the CPU usage to a bearable amount.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I guess we'll have to wait until your book comes out before we know the answer to that particular question.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

What are non geometric Waveforms? All Waves can you construct with adding pure sine waves.

chk071 wrote:So, to get back to topic: What exactly do you mean with "high quality oscillators"? Don't think you elaborated on that, so far. At least not in understandable words, the geometry comparison doesn't quite cut it, i'm afraid.
Sorry, I have a lot going on, not much time or attention is available to me currently.

1. Resizing - Moving up and down in pitch means stretching and squashing a wave to the appropriate length.

Like Raster Graphics, if you take a sample, a set of values at a regular interval (bandlimited), the set itself contains the base information, and there is very little information that can be interpolated or extrapolated. It will sound DULL because of that missing information.

Like Vector Graphics, If the waveform is not a sample, but a mathematical description from a formula composition, then it will be of infinite resolution, with no missing information. However, there is little initial information to linear and sine based functions, only in composition and self-reference can they build up into infinite detail.

Take the example images above, make them grayscale, place them in serum or nuspin or the like and watch your oscillator drive around the image as if there were a car on it. Obviously an image is raster, but the software that created those images could potentially create an infinite detailed image, and therefore an infinite detailed oscillator.. of course, I wouldn't use a single image..it would be completely dynamic and the end result of layers.. but always infinite in detail, just as common vector geometric waveforms. Please correct my understanding if I missed anything.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

chk071 wrote:As far as i always read, it is technically impossible. So, there's rather "as minimal aliasing as possible".
Melda says: "MPowerSynth oscillators provide crystal clear sound free of any aliasing, distortion and other imperfections."

I havent checked if thats actually true, but if it is then he must have found a solution that really works.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, ad-blurbs.

Gotta lovem. :hihi:

Vertion wrote:...
I'm trying to make a determination if I came up with a superior algorithm, I want to compare it against the absolute best on the market. So far nothing compares. Aliasing nonsense due to lack of available information. The solution is simple, but first I wanted to see if there were even a single contender on this market with extremely high density (detailed) oscillators. (Non-geometric waveforms)
What time frame are you thinking of in terms of making public your algorithm(s)?

ACE .... and Bazille. Mpowersynth next in line IMO. The problem is the intel processors. they are quick, but not very powerful. Not good at handling floating point processing. But they are practical and good for selling computers.

:phones:
Last edited by Vertion on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

oh yeah, maybe Dune2. It's not so much about aliasing (sure that is a problem) but more about clean and smooth modulations that you can use in a versatile manner.

Ask yourself how musical are the oscillators? and how useful are they?

Vertion wrote:
dark water wrote:What time frame are you thinking of in terms of making public your algorithm(s)?
Dark Water, I am currently, are you asking for pseudo code specifically? If any fellow professional developer wants to communicate with me on code and development I would gladly give away all my ideas in any detail requested. If you want me to write a paper, I will need time. However, thinking and speaking is free, ask me to vocalize and I will give you enormous access to information and ideas from the brain and heart, and I horde knowledge like the cookie monster. I constantly come up with ideas, since the age of 12 I've kept a notebook by my side and the ideas just keep coming. I need to remind myself not everyone knows what I know, I often assume everyone knows far more than I and just needs to be reminded. Oops. I'm a full-time dad with very little time (and energy) to do anything but parenting and homemaking, so verbal conversation are the least taxing and allows me to divulge the most information and creativity. The computer eats too much time.

V
Sounds very interesting as a concept, and I wish you luck Vertion. I'm sure some interested party will contact you at some point.
However, it's a bit beyond my level of ability / comprehension though: I'm more of a musician and arranger than a coder sorry.

MPowerSynth actually has a bunch of quality settings for oscillators, which range from low to high, and some additional "Extreme" modes with a shitload of oversampling.

Return to “Instruments”