Last Windows 10 update deinstalled some plugins...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Assimilation, complete.

First thing was the elicencer. It "worked" but had an LCC error. Steiny already has the fix out. Seems to be solved.

And it borked my mousewheel settings. I'm sure my list will grow quickly :hihi:

robotmonkey wrote:Win 10 will uninstall anything it does not like. It's definitely not limited to security software.
Then it's gotta love everything i, and other people i know, have installed on their Windows 10 computers. Because it never did something remotely similar here. I read a lot about all kind of weird issues regarding security suites, tune up utilities, and stuff like that, which conflict with the installation of the bigger Windows updates, simply because they dig so deep in the system, that they prevent Windows from updating files.

I've seen people have drivers overwritten, but it's always been with legacy hardware. NVidia drivers are susceptible to W10 deciding to install newer driver versions than what's worked because the old driver isn't signed. I've seen where USB Host Controller drivers got overwritten affecting soundcard performance. I believe other motherboard drivers were hit at the same time. It didn't un-install anything, just updated.

A lot of people that have issues seem to be those who upgraded W7 or 8 to W10. With upgrades, legacy drivers get carried over without having to go through digital signing checks. As W10 updates itself, if certain things aren't set, the drivers get updated and things no longer work. It can take a while to manifest, depending on urgency of the updates, so it's not like it's instantaneous and easily recognized.

I have digital driver signing disabled. I make sure Windows Update is set to only update Windows. Another thing is there's a setting in Windows Update that allows it to update from other devices on your network, it's enabled by default. That needs disabling.

I waited until Creators was fully launched before building a new system for W10 and I use Imaging software so nothing bad can happen here, but it has happened to others under certain conditions.

After the last Win10 update on my laptop, it went completely black. Windows loads and when the desktop should open, it goes completely black. No mouse cursor or shortcuts or anything.
No type of safe-mode works either.

First time the update ran and this happened, I could roll it back with the system recovery menu. Then I read that it could be the graphic driver(Nvidia), so I updated that and then let the win update run once more. Same result, but now I can't roll back again. No system recovery point either.

Weirdest thing is that the result is the same if I put it into another computer too. No windows desktop, only a black screen.

Every fix I've read relies on Safe-Mode of some kind, but that doesn't work.

Now I will put the SSD in question into another computer to back up what I can, but the reason why I'm reluctant to format and do a clean reinstallment of windows is the licenses I have on it. eLicenser and iLok. I guess I just should reregister to my main DAW anyway.

Just so frustrating.
And now I remember why I started this post, do anyone have some advice?
Have anyone here had the same problem?

I tried to postpone the Win 10 The "Creators [sic] Update", succeeded some weeks but then the OS forced the computer to start the update, before that I had minimized the optional update feature.

I supected bad.

And some bad happened - so far the update has affected to the way how my graphics card operates, e.g. my Live 9 mouse tools (such as the handle bar, edit pencel or listen-speaker) have disappeared, or are so small that those are impossible to use.

Nvidia Gforce Experience not found recovery, yet.

I have reported to Ableton of this but they seem to be totally unaware of defects caused by the Win 10 update .

This is once again example how mad the Microsoft attitude towards the clients have gone. They force absolutely useless "Creators updates", which can ruin your expensive DAW.
:dog:

The Win 10 creators update was delivered to my computer in an awful way :(

There's a setting in Windows 10 to never include drivers in updates.

With NVidia, if it worked before, don't use the latest driver from them, use the legacy driver version that's listed on the Mfg.'s or Motherboard's site.

I've seen today that vid drivers can cause the black screen.

I've got W10 Update tamed. The only updates it will install without permission are critical updates. I've got updates waiting for download for over a week now and the postpone options are disabled. I even disabled the nag notifications that updates are ready for download.

I have a test OS install so I can see what's going to happen to the guinea pig before feeding anything to my working DAW install.

Laughed when I found WU defaults to checking every hour for updates.

I'm not by my laptop at the moment, but is there some way to install other graphic drivers if I put the SSD in another computer as a secondary drive?

gaf_thit wrote:I'm not by my laptop at the moment, but is there some way to install other graphic drivers if I put the SSD in another computer as a secondary drive?
Why would you do that? Just download the driver and install it. Are you saying that's impossible for some reason? Are you running the installer as Admin and in Compatibility mode, if needed? Is your OS a fresh install or an upgrade from an earlier version?

Ah, sorry, I just read the particulars. So your issue is you can't do anything on the system due to blackscreen?

It is like Metallica's Blackened or Unreal's The Darkening :scared:

bustedfist wrote:Ah, sorry, I just read the particulars. So your issue is you can't do anything on the system due to blackscreen?
Yes, black screen when windows is finished loading. No response when I press win button or any short cuts. Safe mode don't work and no recovery points.

First time I've had any problems with win10.

Numanoid wrote:It is like Metallica's Blackened or Unreal's The Darkening :scared:
Hehe
or a cover version of Paint it black from hell.

Ok, if you start in Safe Mode do you get video or no? You don't mention what video card you're using or if it's onboard. BIOS might help. If you have a 3rd party video card, try disabling it and seeing if the onboard will let you access the OS. Some BIOS/UEFI have an auto update feature that might help. More info needed.

No visuals in safe mode either.
I have a Nvidia GTX460M in the laptop.

But I think it's weird that I get a black screen no matter what safe mode I try and even if I put it into another computer as main drive.

Oh, and there is just the gtx card, no gfx inbuilt in mainboard/cpu.

I've tried different settings in the bios, but no luck. I should check more.

Haven't had so much time to failsearch yet and been so frustrated I have been procrastinating a bit. I'm good at that.

Thank you for the response.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”