Which Synth has the Highest Quality Oscillators

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: The Arturia MS-20 has the best filters of any synth I own
I find Arturia synths lacking in the sound department. (Visually they're class though; I dig the GUIs and preset browsers)
Not at all a fan of the filters in Arturia plugs. :shrug: To each their own, as they say.

I think he meant the KORG MS-20 though. :D

chk071 wrote:I think he meant the KORG MS-20 though. :D
That would make a lot more sense! :hihi:

Russell Grand wrote:
I reckon he commissioned the Arturia MS-20 vst so he could corner the preset market for it :P
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
wagtunes wrote: The Arturia MS-20 has the best filters of any synth I own
Youve bought every VST synth known to mankind and have had to start inventing synths to authenticate youreself................or youre a beta tester?
Oh crap, did I say Arturia? Damn, I must be really tired tonight. LMAO.

"the best" would depend on whether you wanted to hear it or look at it via oscilloscope wouldn't it?
I realize my opinions are subjective, as is hearing. I'll never know what anyone else is hearing exactly. It's probably not the same as me.
If it was, the entire population would be howling mad from tinnitus.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

ENV1 wrote:
chk071 wrote:As far as i always read, it is technically impossible. So, there's rather "as minimal aliasing as possible".
Melda says: "MPowerSynth oscillators provide crystal clear sound free of any aliasing, distortion and other imperfections."

I havent checked if thats actually true, but if it is then he must have found a solution that really works.
Both PowerSynth and Avenger have wonderful sounding oscillators. I'd love to see just how much detail their oscillators are capable of. Unfortunately, I do not own a license to either, and the demos requires large installs. The wallet says no at this time, but I'd love a license to them one day.

It is very possible, it depends on the functions used and the approach. After all, in parallel, look how hyper-realistic some 3D renders are, and we keep getting better.. more realism, more detail. Rendered images that have near objects will usually weave a blend of detailed raster maps and procedural textures, depending on the rendering constraints. This is also happening with softsynths.. we must continue to step up the sample rate as an industry and dig in to detail. Some say people cannot hear the difference, but believe me, they can, with time, repetitious listening brings that out. Those that listen to musical loops for hours, days, and know what a difference a single sample can make. It matters.

My interest in the best oscillator was for a field comparison. I intend to use the information for my own work...

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=488639

Thank you everyone! :-)
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

MPowersynth is the closest to a modular when it comes to manipulation and control of an oscillator.... I love it, so many 'mathematical' ways to change a waveform its just awesome, you might never need to touch the rest of the synth unlessyoure an old school boxed in type who needs filters etc
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Russell Grand wrote:
I reckon he commissioned the Arturia MS-20 vst so he could corner the preset market for it :P
:lol:

Sampleconstruct wrote:99.999% of the people listening to electronic music couldn't tell the difference between an aliased or triple-oversampled-super-duper-with-bacon-and-cheese-oscillator, and the few nerds that could spot the difference only listen to their own noodling anyway.
:tu:

Many people are listening with their eyes these days :wink:

But I can definitely hear the difference when I use a triple-oversampled-super-duper-with-bacon-and-cheese-oscillator....

The cheese definitely gives the oscillator a flavour of it's own and it sounds like it has been slammed with a low pass filter even though there is a bit of sizzle from the bacon :party:
No auto tune...

I've read the whole thread and I still don't understand the question. What is the measure of 'high quality"? Mode of generation? Lack of aliasing? Perfect mathematical waveforms? Perfect analog emulation?

You can't have all those things in one oscillator.

digitalboytn wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:99.999% of the people listening to electronic music couldn't tell the difference between an aliased or triple-oversampled-super-duper-with-bacon-and-cheese-oscillator, and the few nerds that could spot the difference only listen to their own noodling anyway.
:tu:

Many people are listening with their eyes these days :wink:

But I can definitely hear the difference when I use a triple-oversampled-super-duper-with-bacon-and-cheese-oscillator....

The cheese definitely gives the oscillator a flavour of it's own and it sounds like it has been slammed with a low pass filter even though there is a bit of sizzle from the bacon :party:
I also noticed the bacon sizzle becomes more pleasing when subdued by the cheese, unfortunately it gets totally lost in a total mix, even with the cheese removed.

Are we supposed to listen to someone else's noodling?

ghettosynth wrote:
Are we supposed to listen to someone else's noodling?
No...I think he might have been referring to people having bacon and cheese with their noodles :wink:

You end up with quite a fat,sticky mix :party:
No auto tune...

Dasheesh wrote:Ask yourself how musical are the oscillators? and how useful are they?
double-facepalm-601x215.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”