bx_console E 4K console emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AC222 wrote:Posted by the same dude at the same db level. Very easy to check. What are you are hearing is the difference between 48-bit fixed point and the lack of precision and accumulated rounding errors of floating point.

And let's be real here. Protools isn't the only product where this phenomenon exists. It's the same deal with the TC Electronic stuff versus the native versions.

You say they null and yet acknowledge they are audibly different. I won't even elaborate on that. FLAME SUIT ON!!!! lol.

I don't think it's a question that the PTHD sounds clearly better. Even when I bump up the volume on the RTAS version, the PTHD STILL sounds better. When it comes to hearing better clarity and definition there is only so much you can do to fool the ears with bumping up the volume.

Long live this thread :clap: :hihi: :phones:
I didn't say they weren't different. I did say that the difference was audible, but you're taking my statement out of context. I said the difference was audible if I cranked the null signal, to the point where the actual signal would have likely been around 70db to maybe even 90db in the room. That part is kind of important, y'know. The actual question is whether or not there is a difference we should care about. In this particular context, the answer is 'probably not'. Not when the difference is more than -70dBFS. Whether or not something that is true in specific is true in general in this case is beyond me, I have no clue. Maybe there are actually cases where fixed point produces and audible difference at a normal listening level. I'm the last person to know the answer to that question.

But, what I do understand is that data is data and measurements are measurements. Based on what I've seen here, I see no compelling reason to believe that a difference in the -70dBFS range or more will yield an audible difference at 50dB or 60dB in the room. Based on the data, you'd only hypothetically be able to hear the differences if you were monitoring at 70dB or greater. That would be like having a leaf-blower on your desk instead of speakers.

My point is that even if the discrepancy is caused by floating-point rounding errors, it's not enough of a difference to compel a reasonable person toward actually investing in a more expensive tool. If someone comes up to you and says "I have this $1500 tool that allows for greater precision that you won't actually notice, and for that reason you should buy it over this $250 tool", you'd probably decline. You're asking me to draw an aesthetic distinction between a diamond ring and an imitation diamond ring when the difference could only be observed with a microscope. The argument just isn't compelling, and I very much doubt that you can actually discern a difference.

A null test is a null test is a null test.

Except for when it's a null test.

Honestly, this is so old.

can OP please change the thread name to "toolbags arguing about nulling instead of listening and making music" or something. The thread deserves a bullet. The bx_console E is sounding great here, much different to the bx_console. The bottom end is pretty tight in the low lows, i'm really impressed, and hope PA provide a MEGA affordable crossgrade to it...

Thanks heaps to incubus for the voucher too :P
You're a champ!

The last poster should thank us all for being enlightened by this discussion

Thank you all for enlightening me with your discussion.
Now please, take it elsewhere.

BRBWaffles thanks for going through the trouble to do the math and demonstrate something that should be simple to understand once you grasp a few basic fundamentals :) it's amazing how many people miss those. a clean experiment is a prerequisite, and even the best of us sometimes mess up simple things like volume matching.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

simon.a.billington wrote:
Could be true. I know they have other products that do, but I work at 96 and it never occurred to me as an issue.

However in a recent conversation online, somewhere out there s PA Dev popped in and voiced up about their oversampling technique.

The plugins have oversampling built in automatically corresponding with your host session rate.

48kHz => 4x
96kHz => 2x
192kHz no oversampling.

I just can't verify whether bx_console is among these, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be. They're not really something you would want to track through. There no advantages of it to NOT oversample.

And I don't think they are foolish enough to leave it out either.
Dude...i will repeat to you - bx console does not oversample! It is not my opinion it is a 100% fact. What part you don't understand there? No matter how much presumptions you have about bx_console and it's relation to other PA products i will repeat for the third time:

bx_console - does NOT oversample anything. No matter at which frequency you work at.

If you want to verify (instead spreading your presumptions and asking yourself why would they leave it off) ask Dirk directly.

On top of that add it to your DAW session and you will see it is true 0 latency. Now tell me do you know for at least 1 product in this know universe which have 0 latency oversampling ? No you don't because oversampling with 0 latency (zero) is impossible. Without going in to details you can just stop it here and accept it does not have oversampling.

Cheers

kmonkey wrote:If you want to verify (instead spreading your presumptions and asking yourself why would they leave it off) ask Dirk directly.
you don't have to, actually. just shoot white noise through bx_console and look at spectrogram. if there isn't a visible low-pass filter @20K or so, it's not doing oversampling.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

BRBWaffles wrote: What you're hearing is literally one being louder than the other because the original author somehow screwed up the normalizing.

:lol:

Priceless! Gotta love these "golden ears" nutters...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

sqigls wrote:can OP please change the thread name to "toolbags arguing about nulling instead of listening and making music" or something. The thread deserves a bullet. The bx_console E is sounding great here, much different to the bx_console. The bottom end is pretty tight in the low lows, i'm really impressed, and hope PA provide a MEGA affordable crossgrade to it...

Thanks heaps to incubus for the voucher too :P
You're a champ!
You're welcome, and I agree. WHO CARES? It's killer or it's not?

FYI I updated the comparison tracks and added some more in this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=488471&p=6837811#p6837811

I'm really digging this plugin, perhaps more-so than the Neve emulation, which i thought was great.
There's something about the SSL sound that I've always loved and preferred, when I was using the Slate VCC I was using the SSL algorithm 90% of the time.

I kinda agree that an oversampling option would have been tasty, but I'm rejoicing that I can use this plugin in my live sets, without adding latency or taxing the CPU too much. I've recovered a few milliseconds here and there by replacing The Glue and a few other plugins with console E, the compressors are obviously different beasts, but I really can't complain about the sound. Probably reduced my chain by 3.6 ms which is cool, I just need to find a latency free "The Drop quality" HP/LP filter and I might be able to run live vocals through the box, which is very exciting. and a latency free mastering grade limiter maybe... a 'real time' live set would be awesome.

sqigls wrote:I just need to find a latency free "The Drop quality" HP/LP filter
Why not just run The Drop without oversampling? It won't explode or anything and in live conditions noone would notice aliasing, you know.

nah, it comes with a certain amount of latency regardless, unfortunately.

sqigls wrote:nah, it comes with a certain amount of latency regardless, unfortunately.
Precisely 0 on my system. Make sure to set both realtime and render OS to x1.

Return to “Effects”