Looking for Alternative to Cubase 6.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been using Cubase 6.5 for what seems forever now, and I really don't want to shift away from it, but Steinberg ruined Cubase after 6 with the GUI updates. I cannot use the newer versions they kill my work flow. I had the exact same issues with FL Studio and the way it works now as opposed to previous versions.

So I could just stay on 6.5 I guess, but I feel I am missing out on the new features that are quite cool with Cubase, but as I said, the GUI just means I cannot upgrade.

So I am going to switch away from it, and try something else, so far I have Sonar on the system, and tbh I don't like it, its methods to handle audio are pathetic. Simple thing like stretching an audio clip is strangled.

So I am looking for suggestions , that won't take me far from something with a workflow like Cubase 6.5 and look, but with modernised things inside and gets updated :)

I probably will have to continue on 6.5 but I live in hope.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I like you stayed on Cubase 6.5 for what seems like forever. But after recently upgrading to Cubase 8 and now 9, they are without a shadow of a doubt significantly superior experiences to 6.5. Cubase 9 in particular with its sampler track is just perfect.

The mixer is now significantly more refined than Cubase 7, it is superior to 6.5 in almost every way and no longer presents ergonomic challenges (e.g. with those little stupid hidden circle things they had in Cubase 7).

Stick with Cubase, it's an amazing DAW.

Your main alternative would be Studio One (if you want a similar workflow) but imho, that's nowhere near as refined as Cubase is.

If you feel like you're missing out on the new features of more recent Cubase versions, then i'd recommend to just get the newest version. Can't quite comprehend the GUI issues you're talking about. I can't see where it MAJORLY changed in that regard. I would recommend Studio One too, if you want to try something else, but, as you particularly pointed out that you feel like you are missing out on Cubase's new features, then i wouldn't say switching to Studio One would help, especially as it's rather lacking in terms of features, compared.

Like fgimian, i think more or less every Cubase update rather improved something about the GUI, or the workflow.

The only suitable replacement I could find for Cubase 6.5 is Cubase Pro 9.

Trust me when I say that none of us are trying to be funny or coy. I have tried every piece of DAW software, honestly, and I can find nothing that gets me where Cubase does without some extended frustration. To be honest, there are some features in other DAWs that I like and would perhaps enjoy in Cubase. For example, Ableton Live clips are just simple and effective for some music, and simplifying the way Cubase handles it would be awesome. But I feel to accomplish that, they would have to break other features that I cannot live without. I love Reason blocks. They are similar to Live's clips, but at the same time different. Cubase has something of a version of that, but it feels clunky when I use it. And my list goes on and on...

Still, nothing has pulled me away from Cubase longer than the time it took to explore my options. And upon returning to Cubase I found myself instantly inspired.

I still own a half dozen plus a few random, up-to-date pieces of software that perform studio tasks (Live, Reason, Maschine, FL Studio, Traction, Bitwig, and believe it or not Ohm Studio) and nothing can touch Cubase. Frequently I find myself Rewiring into Live or Reason, or adding Maschine or FL Studio as a VST within Cubase, but in the end Cubase shines.

Consider taking the update for a test drive. I don't know what turns you off in the newer versions, but the workflow really has not changed so I cannot really tell what you might not like.

Honestly, jumping to any other host is going to be FAR more of a change than upgrading. Cubase Pro 9 still works essentially the same way as 6.5, but they have added additional methods of working, and yes, updated the interface (which, IMO, is so much better than it used to be).

You will get up and running much faster by upgrading, and at this time, Cubase has one of, if not THE most complete feature set out there. The creative tools available can't be found anywhere else, and it has become so freakin' powerful. And while you can jump ship to something else and find a few features you like that are new, you're going to have to use a completely different workflow (for better or for worse).

There are definitely other hosts that are good and have lots of features, but you'll find frustrations as well. No host will have everything. So if Cubase does what you want and you are used to the workflow, but just want some of the newer things......you're just going to have to upgrade Cubase. Give it time, I think the newer interface and newer methods of doing things will grow on you. And the vast majority of the Cubase workflow from 6.5 can still be done in Pro 9. They have just added new ways of working on top of that.

I don't really even think there is another good option, considering your reasoning and needs.

Brent
My host is better than your host

thejonsolo wrote:...For example, Ableton Live clips are just simple and effective for some music, and simplifying the way Cubase handles it would be awesome. But I feel to accomplish that, they would have to break other features that I cannot live without. I love Reason blocks. They are similar to Live's clips, but at the same time different. Cubase has something of a version of that, but it feels clunky when I use it...
MIDI triggered Arranger Track events are closer to the concept of Live clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ByZHkzD20&t=680s

from 11:20 - Is it possible to trigger arranger events with hotkeys.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

koolkeys wrote:Honestly, jumping to any other host is going to be FAR more of a change than upgrading. Cubase Pro 9 still works essentially the same way as 6.5, but they have added additional methods of working, and yes, updated the interface (which, IMO, is so much better than it used to be).
PR optimization was also a warmly welcomed one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81TA5Oh78Vo&t=0s
in C8.5
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I loved Cubase 6.5. Cubase 7 seemed like a major step forward but it ended up just feeling like a different DAW to me. I switched to Studio One and found it to be more similar to Cubase 6.5 than Cubase 7 was, not to mention that the Melodyne integration is better than anything I ever experienced with Cubase.

Maybe Waveform (used to be Tracktion)? https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform
Tracktion 5 is free and like Waveform, it doens't need a dongle or software like elicenser.

I dont deny that cubase 9 has a complete set of tools and more, but the GUI is just not useable for me, i have tried the demo but it is horrible to use.

The GUI in 6.5 was easy to navigate, worked perfectly and was straight forward. Cubase 9's GUI is polished, hard to navigate and quite honestly a nightmare.

Studio One I will try it. But otherwise, I think 6.5 is where I stay with Cubase.

God I hate Steinberg.

It depends what you do i think. For example i just mangle with synths and a few samples maybe, so i switched from Cubase 6.5 over to Bitwig and am totally happy now.

If you rely on recording features it might be better to use studio one then.

I thought it was C5 to C6 that broke the UI? Maybe I misremember. But whenever the MixConsole was added, it has been a mess since. However, like many others have said, there's just too many great features and workflows that I haven't been able to replace in other hosts.

I'd kill for good ARA for one thing. But, the Borgz are committed to their own Variaudio implementation. It works well in limited applications, but doesn't have near the breadth and depth as Melodyne.

I could list dozens and dozens of individual things I like out of other hosts. But, try as a I might to do otherwise, I always end up back in Cubase.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Demoed Elements today, the UI is bullshit.

sfxsound3 wrote:Demoed Elements today, the UI is bullshit.
yes & no ... unfortunately we are generalizing. The interface for each editor are well thought out, excellent for their purpose and feature dense. It's the way they are tied together that sucks. The Mixconsole might as well be a 3rd party app in relation to the project window. Key commands don't pass through properly which leads to using the wrong function when the wrong thing has focus. The MAC application master bar is absolutely an abortion to have on Windows. It renders all of the windows hotkeys a confusing mess. I could go on and on for what about the integration of the UI that is bad. But, each editing process on it's own merits is outstanding.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

And I just realised when trying to use the Cubase 9 demo, that about 50% of plugins arent listed.

LOL Steinberg have gone to shit really , their older versions pickup and run plugins , but the new versions dont. Surely updated versions should work better.

How truly pathetic of them.

6.5 is where my journey with Steinberg ends, ive said it before, unfortunately it's true.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”