MOTU 8A? Heard MOTU is good but their support is TERRIBLE (Should I switch?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The (very antiquated) Traveler isn't. If that's the extent of your experience, you really shouldn't be weighing in on the subject at all. The 8A is in a different league. Motu have stepped up their game big time. The higher end Motu AVB has better DAC converters than the RME stuff- that's just a fact (1248/8m/16a/8a/etc.....step down with Ultralite AVB etc). People on Macs have more issues with RME than PC. People on PC have lots more issues with Motu than Mac.

I'd encourage the OP to read the reviews and more active computer audio forums for a wider variety of opinions than the echo chamber here.

Yeah, read the reviews, check for yourself. Be the parrot.

You'll get the same conclusions we RME people have.

Honestly, it's almost absurd at this point............

8A has the ESS DAC's, which theoretically are better sounding than the chips RME uses. However, the power supply design and analog circuit also play in, possibly even more than the converters themselves, and I would actually expect RME's to have better ADC's. To make matters even more confusing, you can't trust specs because many manufacturers only quote the specs of the chips themselves, not the entire circuit.

Personally, I'm considering getting an 8A to use as an ADAT converter but I'd get a Lynx Aurora(n) 8 if money were no object.

Currently using two RME interfaces on both mac and pc, never had a problem. Have also used a MOTU 896 mk3 hybrid in the past. MOTU is good no doubt, but in my limited experience RME interfaces are significantly better, and I mean mainly in terms of stability, reliability, latency, support, and basically just being invisible when needed while providing more routing flexibility and control than you can imagine. I would consider a MOTU interface if budget was the limiting factor, but would pick RME every time (even over costlier interfaces) if it wasn't.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”