Windows users, beware the Akai LPK25 Wireless controller keyboard (and it's bigger brethren?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Akai's product page (http://www.akaipro.com/products/keyboar ... 5-wireless) doesn't outright admit that the LPK25 Wireless does NOT function as such on Windows. One might as well buy the USB-only LPK25.

Hidden away in their FAQ (https://www.noterepeat.com/products/aka ... -questions) is the ugly truth:
Why can't I connect my Windows computer to this device?

Transferring MIDI via Bluetooth LE is not officially supported. Although workarounds do exist, latency is typically a factor that adversely affects workflow. However, you can still certainly use this controller via wired USB connection with a PC running Windows OS.
It seems that Win 10 Developers Edition DOES support MIDI-over-Bluetooth.

I've contacted Akai and will update this thread if I find out more.
I've also tried using an USB extension cable, and bought a new one, as the supplied cable is ridiculously short (too short to be of any use to me) - but Windows fails to recognize the LPK25 when I do so.

Possibly the CME WiDi Bud may help

No word from Akai yet. I'm returning the controller.
zadillo wrote:Possibly the CME WiDi Bud may help
Thanks!
That seems to be a work-around - but I opted for another controller (the Korg nanoKey Studio USB/Bluetooth MIDI controller. Korg supplies a proprietary KORG BLE-MIDI Driver, which supposedly makes it usable on Windows). The upside: I get knobs, mini KAOSS pad, and pads on top :D

I can only hope I don't end up having to buy both to make this work :wink:

cptgone wrote:No word from Akai yet
Don't expect any. They don't care once you have paid for their products.
In the light of all the controversy with the Akai Advance, I'll never buy an Akai product again. (Basically, they f*****d the customers over by not supporting/updating a high price controller despite it hardly working at all - because of that, the Advance is impossible to sell 2nd hand)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”