Tabletop Synth Recommendations?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I am considering purchasing a small tabletop synth to:

1) run as a separate sound source into a new Electribe I bought;
2) play standalone without a large setup time/space, including for travel purposes;
3) run as a separate sound source into the small (for now :)) modular setup I am building based around the Mother 32.

I was looking to spend around $300-$350 for this purpose. I am considering the Korg Volca Keys and Volca Sample (together), the Waldorf Streichfett (because I love string synths) or the Audiothingies Micromonsta. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, I think - the Korg Keys is analog, the Streichfett is limited but seems to really nail the string sounds I love, and the Micromonsta seems very versatile in a small package. Any others I should consider? Any recommendations you may have regarding these three (or others) would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

My 2c is to go with the sounds you love; and strings will be a nice contrast with the Electribe and Moog, giving you a wide sonic palette
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

arturia microbrute. portable, analog, a couple of cv ins & outs so it will play with the Mother 32. doesn't sound like anything you already have. It has a keyboard.

my brain hurts.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Microbrute's good.

0-Coast or Ants will work even more nicely with the Mother-32 and modular stuff, but go beyond your budget by a little.

But if you love the Streichfett sound, that might matter more than everything else. (Personally I loaded up on string synth software instead, and then don't find myself using it much even though I do like that sound.)

Hi, have you considered MFB synths. Some are small form factor and semi-modular with CV in/outs as well as Midi. Great sound to me.

Laters.

Thank you all for these thoughts and recommendations. I already have the Minibrute - I assume the Microbrute would be duplicative/overkill? Another idea came to mind - Novation Mininova. Does anyone have any experience with this one? How is the synth engine?

Dreadbox Nyx gives you analog and paraphonic

http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/nyx/

bharris22 wrote:Thank you all for these thoughts and recommendations. I already have the Minibrute - I assume the Microbrute would be duplicative/overkill? Another idea came to mind - Novation Mininova. Does anyone have any experience with this one? How is the synth engine?
I have the ultranova. Same synth engine as the Mininova..great synth with the vocoder thing going for it.. I'm not big on restrictive keybeds so the Mininova with its mini-keys, sod all travel and no aftertouch makes it unattractive to me personally. The touch sensitive knobs on the Ultranova are very cool I'm not sure if that tech is transferred to the mini.
I also have the Bass Station 2 monosynth. Analog with digital control, presets and pretty much knob per function with a terrific keybed. No CV ins or outs though.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Dreadbox and MFB look great, but I think a little more than I want to spend right now for this purpose. Musicians Friend has the Mininova for $339 now, and I have $20 worth of points plus a $50 gift, which would bring this down to $270 for me. Seems like a no-brainer . . . . Going to check out more demos on YT first, though.

Yamaha DX 200?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJgMa-n9hzs

Kaossilator Pro?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Nord Micromodular is one of the best desktop synths evah imho ...
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clavia-DMI-Nord ... nav=SEARCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZaPOIuzfgY
:ud:

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone! Bought the Mininova, and very satisfied with the sounds so far - it seems extremely versatile :).

i'd rather stretch my budget to $500 for a korg MS20 for its chunky rude sound and super flexibility over cheaper gear so i can't help you. i want the cheapest synth that i wouldn't get sick of after just one month's worth of cheap sounds. maybe my bias comes from hating lousy sounding cheap casios (with 200 lousy presets) that are totally useless to me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”