Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Spiritos
KVRian

713 posts since 24 Mar, 2013, from Amsterdam

Postby Spiritos; Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:00 pm Stereo recording acoustic guitar 2 mics in 1 wav file, how to raise volume of one channel?

I guess this is a 101 question but I've searched and searched but sometimes when you lack proper terminology even Google's vastness is of no help.

I'm experimenting with stereo recording or actually triple recording singer-songwriter stuff in Ableton.
While I record a session I have the left and rught channel for my guitar routed to my headphones and another audiotrack on silent recording the two channels (L+R).

Thing is the Right channel is recording with lower volume than the left. Could be multiple reasons. I use a Steinberg UR-44 and the input levels are extremely low to begin with and I have the input gain close to +6db already on that channel and can use "utility" to raise the gain and then re-record it so I have a workaround.

Still I was wondering if it's possible and if so, how I can raise the volume of one of two instruments in a wav file. Since the two inputs are very clear to identify (panned) there is no visual overlap in the waveform so if I could use something of a "lasso" tool that would be ideal. It's not that it's a full mixed song from which I want to extract a capella vocals or so.

But I have no idea how to go about this. Can someone link me to some tutorials or VST's so I can get a better understanding of the possibilities?

Tnx.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

20800 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:29 pm Re: Stereo recording acoustic guitar 2 mics in 1 wav file, how to raise volume of one channel?

I would record 2 separate mono tracks. If it needs to be one stereo file, a wav editor could boost one channel easily enough.
Spiritos
KVRian

Postby Spiritos; Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:25 pm Re: Stereo recording acoustic guitar 2 mics in 1 wav file, how to raise volume of one channel?

Well, I'm experimenting and want to learn so yes, I do record 2 seperate mono tracks but now I also add a third track which records the input of both mono tracks. I do understand I need a wave editor but I need a little more guidelines.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

3841 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 pm Re: Stereo recording acoustic guitar 2 mics in 1 wav file, how to raise volume of one channel?

All wave editors would do this slightly differently I think. I know Audacity so can tell you how to do it in that.

When you've opened your file, in the track inspector, next to the name of the file and above the info on sample rate/bit depth etc, there's a little down arrow. Click that and select - 'split stereo to mono'.

Either use the gain slider, or 'amplify' in the effects menu to get the split files to the relative levels you want. Pan them hard left and right in the track inspectors for each

You then need to select all by using ctrl-a, then go to the 'tracks' menu and select 'mix and render to new track', and there you go. You just need to export that to whatever format you want (making sure of course that you've got the original files muted).
Spiritos
KVRian

Postby Spiritos; Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm Re: Stereo recording acoustic guitar 2 mics in 1 wav file, how to raise volume of one channel?

Thanks. I don't have Audacity but from your answer I understand it's a common or even basic functionality so I will look into it.
It just seems to me it would be so easy if there were a 'lasso tool' or something to select both waves since they're so clearly identifyable in the waveform.
annode
KVRAF

5926 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:46 pm Re: Stereo recording acoustic guitar 2 mics in 1 wav file, how to raise volume of one channel?

The problem for me is the way you explain it all.
Audacity is freeware.
It all sounds ridiculous, but I'm sure it's just a language barrier.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Production Techniques