Nora: how to route to the software synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there

I am confused with setting NORA's outputs to another software synth. I asked this question on the thread when Nora update was announced, and got satisfactory answer that it can be done, but now that I am setting it up, I don't see how it is possible for it to work. When I insert Nora in Cakewalk Sonar X3, it creates 2 tracks: Audio and MIDI. In order for Nora to work, MIDI track Input is set to receive from keyboard, Output is set to send to Nora. The 2nd track is Audio, there is no way to send it's output to any software synth. My only options are to send to hardware audio output of the soundcard. Where is NORA output that will be sent to the software synth? I selected "Hybrid" software synth, and on Hybrid's MIDI track, I selected MIDI IN as Nora, other words- it will not be triggered by keyboard but should be triggered by notes coming from Nora, but I do not hear anything. Is there a way to make Nora transmit notes? Thank you.

Sonar is a bit trickier than most, but it can be done. I don't have time to explain at the moment, but if no one else chimes in I'll check back and explain the steps.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thanks for the hope.

Actually- I just partially got it. The set up in the first post is right for Cakewalk Sonar. The issue was: "Pattern Mode" in options should be checked. I can not explain this. I checked it by pure accident. I thought- if it shows pattern mode on display and I can see patterns and cursor running, it means- I am in pattern mode- what it has to do with its ability to transmit MIDI notes to software synth I do not know. Wow- ok... Took me more than an hour and a lot of reading to figure out by accident.

I did not try to freeze it. So far the plugin is NOT intuitive and difficult to deal with. For example- if you see a pattern of 3 notes going up, you will hear only one note if you press one note, you need to press a chord to hear all 3 notes. And where are the chords? I thought there was a list of chords that I can just load and not need to step input individually.

Very interesting patterns. But I do not see 8 parts of anything- was it about 8 MIDI channels?

Disappointing to me is that we can not mix and match patterns. Some of them are very short patterns and I would like to be able to combine 2 different patterns in chain. So far when attempt to combine 2 patterns, every new pattern replaces the old one. I am getting confused by watching different product videos- I thought I just saw somewhere that we should be able to combine more than one pattern, but I guess- not... And no Chords library?

Astralv wrote:Hey there

I am confused with setting NORA's outputs to another software synth. I asked this question on the thread when Nora update was announced, and got satisfactory answer that it can be done, but now that I am setting it up, I don't see how it is possible for it to work. When I insert Nora in Cakewalk Sonar X3, it creates 2 tracks: Audio and MIDI. In order for Nora to work, MIDI track Input is set to receive from keyboard, Output is set to send to Nora. The 2nd track is Audio, there is no way to send it's output to any software synth. My only options are to send to hardware audio output of the soundcard. Where is NORA output that will be sent to the software synth? I selected "Hybrid" software synth, and on Hybrid's MIDI track, I selected MIDI IN as Nora, other words- it will not be triggered by keyboard but should be triggered by notes coming from Nora, but I do not hear anything.
Make sure "Input Echo" on the synth track is on.

Astralv wrote:Very interesting patterns. But I do not see 8 parts of anything- was it about 8 MIDI channels?
Yes, there are 8 tracks available in both the pattern editor and the playlist. Each track can be routed to one of the 16 MIDI channels.
Disappointing to me is that we can not mix and match patterns. Some of them are very short patterns and I would like to be able to combine 2 different patterns in chain.
This is what the playlist is for (simply drag a pattern from the browser to the playlist). Or you can add multiple patterns to the pattern editor.

This is frustrating!

Last night I said- I got it to play. So tonight it was playing till I opened a new project. Now I have no sound coming out of it. Nothing changed. the same song, the same Sonar project, new Nora project. I also enabled pattern editor window, and I have no sound- did not change Soft synth ins/outs- nothing- all the same- just opened new Nora project. Going to time it to see how long it will take to get it back.

And so now I opened another project from Browser and now it is playing. Took 30 minutes. So it is Nora's issue.

I found the pattern editor. Theoretically it should be able to play different patterns on the same channel, so I put there several different patterns, but it only plays first and others just sit in there.

Playlist: supposedly it plays patterns. It has timeline with measures. I put different patterns on the measures. Expect it to change patterns. Nothing happens. Still playing first phrase or should I say- first pattern, which contains that first phrase. A manual is useless.

You know how many times I had to consult manual when I used Maschine software? Never. Yes, I was frustrated, but I eventually figured everything out. This thing- it has been 2 full evenings. I am still where I started. Nothing is doing what it supposed to be doing. I think Squarehead guys should be here on the forum to help with the implementation of the project and use of their product. Contacted support with initial question last night. Nothing happened so far- no reply. Somebody needs to come over and explain the concept. Nothing is working or acts logical.

Astralv wrote:Playlist: supposedly it plays patterns. It has timeline with measures. I put different patterns on the measures. Expect it to change patterns. Nothing happens.
Make sure Options => Pattern Mode is not activated.

Thank you. I have tried to press all buttons. It keeps playing only one pattern in Pattern mode, and then randomly switches to another pattern out of blue 10 measures later, in Playlist view it not doing anything- just playing the same pattern.

Astralv wrote:Thanks for the hope.

Actually- I just partially got it. The set up in the first post is right for Cakewalk Sonar. The issue was: "Pattern Mode" in options should be checked. I can not explain this. I checked it by pure accident. I thought- if it shows pattern mode on display and I can see patterns and cursor running, it means- I am in pattern mode- what it has to do with its ability to transmit MIDI notes to software synth I do not know. Wow- ok... Took me more than an hour and a lot of reading to figure out by accident.

I did not try to freeze it. So far the plugin is NOT intuitive and difficult to deal with. For example- if you see a pattern of 3 notes going up, you will hear only one note if you press one note, you need to press a chord to hear all 3 notes. And where are the chords? I thought there was a list of chords that I can just load and not need to step input individually.
Thanks man. You just helped me out. Pattern Mode was my issue.

Return to “Instruments”