Can you reccomend an AM synth plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

phace wrote:
planetearth wrote:It's a bit of a shame the OP didn't come back to see some of these answers or give everyone a better idea of what he wanted.
There's no way that I'm reading all of this now. In the future when I have time.. :tu:
Which betrays the (lack of) seriousness in your request. Which is fine, I don't expect much interaction from people with low post numbers. It's why I often state that I'm not posting for them.

I think the tl;dr is simply that there isn't one because it's not interesting enough for there to be one. Moreover, if you don't find this conversation interesting then it's probably not for you anyway.

On the flip side, I really like having a generalized FM/AM/PM/RM DX style synth which is what I built for myself out of this discussion.

Another context where all of this is rather fun is with samples. I built a D50ish synth that implements AM/RM blending in the "structure" as opposed to the fixed choice of the D50

It's pretty easy to do the RM/AM mixing, the bulk of this isn't mine, it's from Chet Singer's Ampere library, I just added the mix/mod switch. This could also just be mixed if one wanted that ability.

There was no seriousness in my original request. I originally just asked about AM synths, I didn't ask for an in depth scientific explanation of AM synthesis. It's apparently beneficial for others to see though so that's fine. I'm not interested in studying this right now, most likely due to the fact that I've just had surgery.

ghettosynth wrote: Another context where all of this is rather fun is with samples. I built a D50ish synth that implements AM/RM blending in the "structure" as opposed to the fixed choice of the D50

It's pretty easy to do the RM/AM mixing, the bulk of this isn't mine, it's from Chet Singer's Ampere library, I just added the mix/mod switch. This could also just be mixed if one wanted that ability.
As partly mentioned earlier when i talked about the Synthmaster 2.8 AM/RM/FM options there the "DC Offset" parameter in the Modulator Osc (4 Modulator Oscs in each of the 2 layers) is used to switch between RM and AM. The offset parameter could be modulated with e.g. an ADSR envelope, MSEG or LFO to blend between RM and AM and of course you could also use that knob to manually morph between them.

FWIW using the additive Osc mode instead of the "Basic" mode with 2 Oscs/Waves per layer offers using up to 8 carrier Oscs/waves (not limited to Sines like in typical additive synths and the pitch for each wave is not limited to additive harmonics/partials) or even 16 if you use this for both Oscs in the layer.
The vector Osc mode allows crossfading between 4 samples/waveforms and the wavetable mode motrphing between up to 16 waveforms.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Another context where all of this is rather fun is with samples. I built a D50ish synth that implements AM/RM blending in the "structure" as opposed to the fixed choice of the D50

As partly mentioned earlier when i talked about the Synthmaster 2.8 AM/RM/FM options there the "DC Offset" parameter in the Modulator Osc (4 Modulator Oscs in each of the 2 layers) is used to switch between RM and AM. The offset parameter could be modulated with e.g. an ADSR envelope, MSEG or LFO to blend between RM and AM and of course you could also use that knob to manually morph between them.

FWIW using the additive Osc mode instead of the "Basic" mode with 2 Oscs/Waves per layer offers using up to 8 carrier Oscs/waves (not limited to Sines like in typical additive synths) or even 16 if you use this for both Oscs in the layer.
The vector Osc mode allows crossfading between 4 samples/waveforms and the wavetable mode motrphing between up to 16 waveforms.
I'm not really trying to sell Reaktor for this kind of simple stuff at this point, only posting the schematic of the morpher for people to see. It's trivial to allow modulation if one wants to. The point was to show the simple continuous morphing from no modulation to AM to RM. There are other reasons to use Reaktor though, this is something of a philosophical difference.

I do think that Reaktor is far superior for building up AM synths in a DX style. Nothing that you've mentioned so far comes close to that. Each synth has some strengths, but, they all fall short in terms of being able to construct complex algorithms.

In the end, I think that AM is most interesting in the context of an FM synth.

ghettosynth wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

FWIW using the additive Osc mode instead of the "Basic" mode with 2 Oscs/Waves per layer offers using up to 8 carrier Oscs/waves (not limited to Sines like in typical additive synths) or even 16 if you use this for both Oscs in the layer.
I'm not really trying to sell Reaktor for this kind of simple stuff at this point, only posting the schematic of the morpher for people to see. It's trivial to allow modulation if one wants to. The point was to show the simple continuous morphing from no modulation to AM to RM. There are other reasons to use Reaktor though, this is something of a philosophical difference.

I do think that Reaktor is far superior for building up AM synths in a DX style. Nothing that you've mentioned so far comes close to that. Each synth has some strengths, but, they all fall short in terms of being able to construct complex algorithms.

In the end, I think that AM is most interesting in the context of an FM synth.
To be honest i am not too much interested in a "pure" AM synth but as part of a more complex synth engine like in e.g. Serum, Synthmastwer 2.8 and others it could be quite useful.
While in my examples here i used mostly Sines to keep it simple using more complex waveforms or even wavetable scanning might lead to really interesting results.

I am also not too much focused in and/or limited to use "real" AM but often do like the results from RM more and there are more synths that offer RM opposing to dedicated AM.

A list of "some" of my synths that support RM (ring modulation) in a simple and/or more complex way:

- Waldorf Blofeld (hardware)
- Novation UltraNova (hardware)
- Novation Bass Station 2 (hardware)
- Waldorf Largo
- Waldorf Nave
- Xfer Serum
- KV331 Audio Synthmaster 2.8
- KV331 Audio Synthmaster One
- Tone2 Icarus (Ringmod morph modes)
- Tone2 Nemesis (2 dedicated Ringmod synthesis modes)
- Synapse Audio DUNE 2.5
- PPG Wavegenerator
- PPG Wavemapper 2
- Waves Codex
- NI Massive
- NI Absynth 5 (Ringmod Osc mode)
- Linplug Spectral (The AM feature in each of the 4 Oscs actually seems to be RM)
- Tone2 Saurus 2
- U-He Diva (JP-8000 Osc module = "Digital" Osc module)
- Xils Lab Oxium
- Xils Lab XILS 4
- Xils Lab Syn'X 2
- Waves Element 2
- Arturia ARP 2600 V3
- Arturia CS-80 V3
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: To be honest i am not too much interested in a "pure" AM synth but as part of a more complex synth engine like in e.g. Serum, Synthmastwer 2.8 and others it could be quite useful.
Sure, I largely agree, that's what I'm saying, I'm just as not interested in dealing with the limitations imposed by Serum and Synthmaster. It's not about counts of the numbers of oscillators that one can use, rather it's the limitations in how they can be structured. We simply have different philosophies With existing synths if their architecture doesn't allow something you're stuck, it just doesn't. Reaktor allows much more diversity in experimentation. However, I'm also not that interested in just AM and/or RM of existing sources in terms of exploration. I have tons of synths that have mixed RM so that's AM/RM right there. I think that's largely well covered ground.

At any rate, plenty of synths have RM/AM, I agree that Synthmaster stands out a bit more than others, although it's still too limited compared to what I've been playing with. I also think that Serem's formula parser is cool enough for a more formal approach to understanding complex but static AM spectra.

I'm headed towards more of an SY type of synth in Reaktor though. I might even have to bust out my SY-77 for inspiration.

I'm glad that my thread enraptured some of you.. the description of AM synthesis in the Albino 3 manual was enough for me (I checked that after reading the first page here) ..but that's me..

phace wrote:I'm glad that my thread enraptured some of you.. the description of AM synthesis in the Albino 3 manual was enough for me (I checked that after reading the first page here) ..but that's me..
Sure, that will allow you to create basically two parallel two operator chains. Try it with small amounts of FM. Dial in a harmonically rich sound with AM then add in just a touch of FM.

ghettosynth wrote:
phace wrote:I'm glad that my thread enraptured some of you.. the description of AM synthesis in the Albino 3 manual was enough for me (I checked that after reading the first page here) ..but that's me..
Sure, that will allow you to create basically two parallel two operator chains. Try it with small amounts of FM. Dial in a harmonically rich sound with AM then add in just a touch of FM.
ok that actually gives me some ideas! I would have to choose the F1FM option on OSC 2/4, never thought of doing that before. I'm probably better off to experiment with other synths though.

I made good results using these AM-software-Synth:

- MPowerSynth (you can turn the OSC into AM-mode)
- LOOM2 (extremely CPU-hungry and I don´t like the company much)

I still have my noisy totally freaky hardware AM Synth:

- KAWAI K5 Keyboard version (welcome to display related editing hell)

i like to wake up in the AM with Sunriser :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

ghettosynth wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Admiral Quality Poly-Ana has AM, FM and PM (phase modulation) available in all 3 Oscs and each Osc could be used as a source (besides other sources).

With the 2 modulation mixers you could create complex modulations (including the 3 Oscs as sources) and then use the mixers as a complex mod source in the 3 oscillators (for AM, FM and/or PM).
I don't know anything about poly-ana, are those audio rate modulations and can you then modulate the level (non audio rate) with an EG?

I would say that it's unlikely that you can do much in the way of experimentation with most non-modular synths. It depends a lot on what your goals are. If you want to just create some wavetables that make use of AM, then use Serum. If you want to just play with ring mod then probably almost anything will do. If you want to experiment with chains of oscillators modulating each other then I I think you'll find Reaktor and/or various modulars less limiting. Bazille could do some interesting stuff here.
Yes you can shape modulators with envelopes with the modulation mixers. It's almost a modular synth except that it's got a fixed set of modules. But any modulation signal can be patched anywhere and processed in the mixers to make more complex ones.

You should try it! Here's a demo of the FX version I made with it processing electric guitar. Admiral put it on their demos page! :love:

https://soundcloud.com/smh2600/admiral- ... b-on-strat

Return to “Instruments”