any tips on how to avoid Aliasing in bazille?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've noticed that it seems to like to alias like a bastard sometimes even on HQ mode.

Anyway to avoid this?

Load up this patch from the patch library hit the C3 key and listen on headphones.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108 ... 20Lead.h2p

At first I thought maybe it was some kind of rising effect in the original patch but i unplugged the cables to the LFO and turns out it's actually coming from Bazilles oscillators.
:borg:

PD and FM is in its nature aliasing...

of course Evil dragon, how could i forget :dog:
:borg:

You could try oversampling the synth once you've created a part for it. Failing that... don't play anything above middle C :hihi:

Super obvious suggestions but those are the only options I can think of :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

one tip would be to use/modulate the PD parameter to "filter" out the wave when modulating stuff like fractal resonance.
when one goes up, the other goes down...

Almost all of the patches I've made for my own projects, have some part of the signal path running through the sample and hold with an audio rate trigger source, so that I can introduce MOAR ALIASING!!!
f**k band-limiting and interpolation. I'm like a synth-nerd-archeologist, always looking for more artifacts!

Would an *ultra* high quality mode (for the fortunate of us which have CPU power to spare in 2017), help to aleviate the inherent aliasing? HQ mode doesn't help much in some circumstances.

Don't know if it's related, but I wish the mapping generators as waveform shapes (tapmap) were cleaner. For example, a triangle or a sine always show some unwanted harmonics. Any tips on anythng that helps, or just live with it?
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorrrrrr wrote:
Don't know if it's related, but I wish the mapping generators as waveform shapes (tapmap) were cleaner. For example, a triangle or a sine always show some unwanted harmonics. Any tips on anythng that helps, or just live with it?
Just route the oscillator output threw a lag generator with an equal attack and release time (about the value of 0.75)... :tu:
Everyone knows more than I do...

Yorrrrrr wrote:Would an *ultra* high quality mode (for the fortunate of us which have CPU power to spare in 2017), help to aleviate the inherent aliasing? HQ mode doesn't help much in some circumstances.

I am contemplating the Ultra option. For Bazille, this is the only possible option since everything that aliases, it aliases for a reason.

Urs wrote:I am contemplating the Ultra option. For Bazille, this is the only possible option since everything that aliases, it aliases for a reason.
Yes! Please do it Urs. There's no reason not to, as it will be an option. Top CPUs are pretty powerful right now, and it seems they will get even better with the fierce battle between Intel and AMD.

V0RT3X wrote: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:51 pm I've noticed that it seems to like to alias like a bastard sometimes even on HQ mode.

Anyway to avoid this?

Load up this patch from the patch library hit the C3 key and listen on headphones.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108 ... 20Lead.h2p

At first I thought maybe it was some kind of rising effect in the original patch but i unplugged the cables to the LFO and turns out it's actually coming from Bazilles oscillators.
I am sorry for awaking 4 yo thread, but does anything change so far?
Beside using Mapgenerator in standard (not HQ) mod I am not able to get aliasing even when I want to.

F. e. in FM8 if you have 5 ratio modulator on regular carrier, tones from B3 got aliasing but Bazille does not.

Urs wrote:I am contemplating the Ultra option. For Bazille, this is the only possible option since everything that aliases, it aliases for a reason.
I'm still hoping for this Ultra mode as well, as Bazille is my only synth where aliasing stands out to me.

I always run Bazille in 96khz projects.

Aside from higher overall CPU usage there are some other drawbacks to running your project at a high sample rate. It's not a solution for me personally.

omiroad wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:48 pm Aside from higher overall CPU usage there are some other drawbacks to running your project at a high sample rate. It's not a solution for me personally.
It's not my favorite solution... but Bazille (and Zebra) both benefit from it sonically and Bazille is my favorite synth (software or hardware) so I do it.

Return to “u-he”