DC8C vs. Presswerk vs. Pro-C2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I currently own Waves CLA 2A,3A and 1176 which I mainly use for individual tracks, and glue, api2500 and Slate VBC for busses.

I feel I'm quite well covered in compression field, but I sort of got interested in these versatile-type compressors which I'm looking forward to invest in. DC8C, Presswerk or Pro-C2. All 3? Maybe lol

Because compressors other than hardware emulation ones are somewhat out of my comfort zone in terms of how the sound is affected, I'd like to know in advance, like what characteristics to listen for (like The Glue being very clean sounding even at extreme settings), and things like pros and cons of whatever, may it be the workflow for example. For some under-experienced person like me, it'd be very helpful to know what characters each comp have so that I can sort of guide my ears to approach hearing certain sound shapes.

Pro-C 2 is (annoyingly) transparent. Don't own the other two, but people say they're the opposite of FabFilter's.

You might want to check Mjuc from Klanghelm personnaly I find it sounds better than dc8c and still very versatile. Other options also are Melda Mturbocomp and Hornet Multicomp plus. Each comps in dc8c has a name that reveals a bit of the character.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Don't forget about compassion. It's the most flexible that I've seen.

Multicomp Plus Mk2 is another one worth looking at. It behaves like Pro-C 2, however you can stay in complete control of the amount of analog emulation applied with each compressor type.

So why don't you educate yourself a little? You've been asking noob compressor questions and saying you're a noob for some time now.

It's not that difficult. A compressor is an envelope follower. Clean compressors don't have artifacts and are more precise (clinical), 'character' compressors introduce various (unwanted) artifacts and are less precise (more artsy). So basically, there's nothing to listen for in a 'clean' compressor - it simply does what it's supposed to do - reduce amplitude based on settings as you see them on the UI.

I have dc8c and i think its incredible value for the money. It has features most dont have. It can be very transparent - or not. Gui could be better.
I also have Mujc, great character compressor.
I tried pro-c 2 as well. Phenomenal gui, very flexible, very trasparent. Just great, like all FF stuff. Too expensive though in this market flooded with excellent compressors.

I've owned Presswerk since its release and from my experience it can be incredibly versatile. For me, I prefer to use it in places where I want more grungy analog character because it really excels at that, and it's easy to tweak to get just the right amount of overdrive/saturation.

I find it's really great on drums too, especially if you're trying to dirty them up.

I've tried it a few times on the master bus, but it's not as clean as my other compressor plugins, so I generally only use it on the master if I've got some real bass-heavy content for it to chew on.

The Klangheim stuff is great too, although I prefer to use their plugins when I just want a touch of saturation without all the other character that Presswerk brings to the track.

You have hardware emulations covered so I would say a clean compressor toolbox like Pro-C 2 would be ideal. Keep in mind that it models the behaviour (minus saturation) of opto comps etc too, adding mid/side and sidechain capabilities to all modes.

The visual aspects of Pro-C may also be educational for you, helping you to understand how compression and individual controls are affecting the signal - and turning on the helper gives wonderful descriptions of each control too.

Also.. MJUC/DC8C are cheap enough just to own, regardless of what you have already.

BTW, just notice that Plugin Alliance has the Brainworx Bx_opto on sale right now for $39, regularly $149. That's the compressor I mix into because I just love that special something it adds to the track. The mastering engineer I've worked had me send him the mixdown both with and without the bx_opto, and preferred the version with it in. I think that says a lot for that little plugin.

At $39 bucks, that's hard to beat. Think you can get a 10-day trial for free too.

I have all of them, and a lot more. I'm an effects junkie, and interested
in effects more than instruments for the most part. They are all awesome
and unique. I tend to use these on buses more than anything, but they
will all handle what ever you throw at them exceptionally well. If I had to
pick only one of them, it would be presswerk. Like everything else from
u-he, it is top notch, even when compared to such great competition.
Personally, I see it as the most versatile.

For everything else, I tend to like funky comps. I have great fondness
for the likes of Deflector (Sly-fi) or Impressor (Elysia).

Anyway, you cant go wrong with any of them, try them out to see
which is best for you in form, function and sound.

-Cheers

First things first: what sound are you aiming for? What kind of music do you make?

To cut a long story short, eh?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Effects”