Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
jens
KVRAF

18465 posts since 12 Jul, 2003, from West Caprazumia

Postby jens; Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:38 pm Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

I second Bassdude and Destructor and want to add Waves GTR
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey
JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

601 posts since 23 Jan, 2011

Postby JJ_Jettflow; Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:51 pm Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

jens wrote:I second Bassdude and Destructor and want to add Waves GTR

Yes GTR is very good for clean sounds and some light crunch. I only have the Solo so I do not know what the full version is like.
Chandlerhimself
KVRian

540 posts since 19 Dec, 2013, from Japan

Postby Chandlerhimself; Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 pm Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

S-gear, but you should check the IR you're using too. Alot of the sound from a clean guitar is going to be the IR, so try to find something similar to the sound you're going for. Or as someone said just go direct and EQ that. I beleive Nils Rogers did that on a lot of classic funk records.
GreyLion
KVRAF

2771 posts since 21 May, 2004, from Deep in the Heart of Texas

Postby GreyLion; Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:02 pm Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

In addition to other suggestions above, you may want to try Peavey's Revalver 4. The core is free, and you only have to buy the bits you want in addition, and they all have a trial that makes a whishhh sound occasionally. Probably the best part is that you can buy one bit that opens it up totally -- lets it load third-party VSTs internally, anywhere in the signal chain.

Agree with Chandlerhimself -- I'm currently using the $20 3SigmaAudio Impulsive IR loader, which is easily the most intuitively usable and stable one I've tried so far. Comes with some good impulses and I bought, among others, the 65AmpsBlue IR pack for clean tones -- Cost is only $7. I actually use it following Revalver's RIR cabs, which I know is so wrong. But sounds great to me. :P

That said, I also luvluvluv Blue Cat's Destructor. Tone for miles.

Good luck!
enroe
KVRian

650 posts since 18 Mar, 2008, from germany

Postby enroe; Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 am Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

A good amp for clean guitars is difficult to find.
For me works:

http://www.heebcomponents.net/CrunchDude/

:tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de
fese
KVRian

867 posts since 14 Sep, 2004, from $HOME

Postby fese; Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:26 am Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

I generally prefer clean tones, too (though I don't play funk) and was also unable to get anything decent from GR ever. What I use most of the time now is S-Gear, and there usually the Wayfarer amp. The also already mentioned BlueCat Destructor can be nice, too.

I also experimented a bit on the front end, putting pedals in front of the DI (e.g. Soul Food or the cheap-o Joyo American with almost no distortion, or a comp pedal), which can help. I also had some good results using the DI in my old ART Pro Channel, which is a solid state/tube preamp, driving the input a bit and using the opto comp and EQ.
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6599 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 am Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

If you can't get the clean tone you need it's either your playing style or the guitar.

Recently bought a Squire Strat Affinity 20th Anniversary in mint condition for much cheapness and damn if it isn't the funkiest sounding guitar I've played, does that typical fender funk quack or Hendrix with a bit of Disto.

But straight through my Dbx 376 (which are going dirt cheap at the moment) into soundcard, no sims in sight, it sounds awesome.
The future is yesterday
SLiC
KVRAF

1925 posts since 2 Dec, 2004, from North Wales

Postby SLiC; Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:39 am Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

I second the 'put a guitar focused (valve) pre amp' before the DI solution.

I highly recommend the Laney Iornheart pulse, it costs around £150 and can go from spanky clean to very dirty...it has EQ and cabinet sim, USB 2 audio for instant re-amping and tons more....and of course it can be used as a valve pre-amp with your guitar amp (and I also use it on my Modular :) )

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/irt-pulse/

I think for 150 quid this will get better results than any simulator for clean tones, and makes a great start to the chain.
bharris22
KVRian

1230 posts since 2 Mar, 2010

Postby bharris22; Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 am Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

+1 for the Laney IRT Pulse - very versatile unit, and the easiest way that I have found to record a tube-signal in the box. Using it with IRs makes it a killer, IMHO.
systmu
KVRist

194 posts since 6 Feb, 2015

Postby systmu; Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 am Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

You have to try Scuffham S-Gear https://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear it is the best sounding amp simulation by far!!!
fese
KVRian

867 posts since 14 Sep, 2004, from $HOME

Postby fese; Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:38 am Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

SLiC wrote:I second the 'put a guitar focused (valve) pre amp' before the DI solution.

I highly recommend the Laney Iornheart pulse, it costs around £150 and can go from spanky clean to very dirty...it has EQ and cabinet sim, USB 2 audio for instant re-amping and tons more....and of course it can be used as a valve pre-amp with your guitar amp (and I also use it on my Modular :) )

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/irt-pulse/

I think for 150 quid this will get better results than any simulator for clean tones, and makes a great start to the chain.

I had the IRT Studio for testing, but decided to send it back. It is actually a great unit especially for homerecording, but as I usually prefer cleans and ever so slightly crunchy and the IRT had exactly one sweet spot for clean and else was more of a "lots of gain or shitloads of gain", so it wasn't for me. Good for higher gain sounds, though, if one likes that.
Haven't tried the Pulse. Is there a output without a cab sim on it (not USB, just a line out) ? I read that it distorts quite fast, does it allow for a range of clean or lower gain sounds in your opinion?
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

1720 posts since 11 May, 2011, from The 51st state

Postby Googly Smythe; Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:33 pm Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

enroe wrote:A good amp for clean guitars is difficult to find.
For me works:

http://www.heebcomponents.net/CrunchDude/

:tu:

I'm surprised a 12-year old plugin still works!
The free Amplitube 4 might do? 2 Fender amps?
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/am ... -shop-gear
stimresp
KVRian

980 posts since 1 Jul, 2008

Postby stimresp; Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:05 pm Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

fese wrote:Haven't tried the Pulse. Is there a output without a cab sim on it (not USB, just a line out) ? I read that it distorts quite fast, does it allow for a range of clean or lower gain sounds in your opinion?

There is a switch that activates the on-board cab. I never use it, or the Hot switch, or the EQ for that matter.

Rather, I use the Pulse as a conditioner, so that I can have fine control how I hit the front of amp sims. Works brilliantly, rounds-off my guitar signal without distorting - I keep the gain at around 9 O Clock and use the volume to bring the level up.
b15fliptop
KVRist

338 posts since 5 Jan, 2007

Postby b15fliptop; Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:51 pm Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

I would get Kazrog's Blackverb and Impulsive. Pristine cleans for less than 30 bucks.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook
Bombadil
KVRian

1022 posts since 31 Aug, 2013, from The Schwarzwald of My Mind

Postby Bombadil; Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 pm Re: Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

Another vote for Scuffham S-Gear.
Illegitimi non carborundum
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects