Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I second Bassdude and Destructor and want to add Waves GTR
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:I second Bassdude and Destructor and want to add Waves GTR
Yes GTR is very good for clean sounds and some light crunch. I only have the Solo so I do not know what the full version is like.

S-gear, but you should check the IR you're using too. Alot of the sound from a clean guitar is going to be the IR, so try to find something similar to the sound you're going for. Or as someone said just go direct and EQ that. I beleive Nils Rogers did that on a lot of classic funk records.

In addition to other suggestions above, you may want to try Peavey's Revalver 4. The core is free, and you only have to buy the bits you want in addition, and they all have a trial that makes a whishhh sound occasionally. Probably the best part is that you can buy one bit that opens it up totally -- lets it load third-party VSTs internally, anywhere in the signal chain.

Agree with Chandlerhimself -- I'm currently using the $20 3SigmaAudio Impulsive IR loader, which is easily the most intuitively usable and stable one I've tried so far. Comes with some good impulses and I bought, among others, the 65AmpsBlue IR pack for clean tones -- Cost is only $7. I actually use it following Revalver's RIR cabs, which I know is so wrong. But sounds great to me. :P

That said, I also luvluvluv Blue Cat's Destructor. Tone for miles.

Good luck!

A good amp for clean guitars is difficult to find.
For me works:

http://www.heebcomponents.net/CrunchDude/

:tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I generally prefer clean tones, too (though I don't play funk) and was also unable to get anything decent from GR ever. What I use most of the time now is S-Gear, and there usually the Wayfarer amp. The also already mentioned BlueCat Destructor can be nice, too.

I also experimented a bit on the front end, putting pedals in front of the DI (e.g. Soul Food or the cheap-o Joyo American with almost no distortion, or a comp pedal), which can help. I also had some good results using the DI in my old ART Pro Channel, which is a solid state/tube preamp, driving the input a bit and using the opto comp and EQ.

If you can't get the clean tone you need it's either your playing style or the guitar.

Recently bought a Squire Strat Affinity 20th Anniversary in mint condition for much cheapness and damn if it isn't the funkiest sounding guitar I've played, does that typical fender funk quack or Hendrix with a bit of Disto.

But straight through my Dbx 376 (which are going dirt cheap at the moment) into soundcard, no sims in sight, it sounds awesome.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I second the 'put a guitar focused (valve) pre amp' before the DI solution.

I highly recommend the Laney Iornheart pulse, it costs around £150 and can go from spanky clean to very dirty...it has EQ and cabinet sim, USB 2 audio for instant re-amping and tons more....and of course it can be used as a valve pre-amp with your guitar amp (and I also use it on my Modular :) )

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/irt-pulse/

I think for 150 quid this will get better results than any simulator for clean tones, and makes a great start to the chain.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

+1 for the Laney IRT Pulse - very versatile unit, and the easiest way that I have found to record a tube-signal in the box. Using it with IRs makes it a killer, IMHO.

You have to try Scuffham S-Gear https://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear it is the best sounding amp simulation by far!!!

SLiC wrote:I second the 'put a guitar focused (valve) pre amp' before the DI solution.

I highly recommend the Laney Iornheart pulse, it costs around £150 and can go from spanky clean to very dirty...it has EQ and cabinet sim, USB 2 audio for instant re-amping and tons more....and of course it can be used as a valve pre-amp with your guitar amp (and I also use it on my Modular :) )

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/irt-pulse/

I think for 150 quid this will get better results than any simulator for clean tones, and makes a great start to the chain.
I had the IRT Studio for testing, but decided to send it back. It is actually a great unit especially for homerecording, but as I usually prefer cleans and ever so slightly crunchy and the IRT had exactly one sweet spot for clean and else was more of a "lots of gain or shitloads of gain", so it wasn't for me. Good for higher gain sounds, though, if one likes that.
Haven't tried the Pulse. Is there a output without a cab sim on it (not USB, just a line out) ? I read that it distorts quite fast, does it allow for a range of clean or lower gain sounds in your opinion?

enroe wrote:A good amp for clean guitars is difficult to find.
For me works:

http://www.heebcomponents.net/CrunchDude/

:tu:
I'm surprised a 12-year old plugin still works!
The free Amplitube 4 might do? 2 Fender amps?
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/am ... -shop-gear

fese wrote: Haven't tried the Pulse. Is there a output without a cab sim on it (not USB, just a line out) ? I read that it distorts quite fast, does it allow for a range of clean or lower gain sounds in your opinion?
There is a switch that activates the on-board cab. I never use it, or the Hot switch, or the EQ for that matter.

Rather, I use the Pulse as a conditioner, so that I can have fine control how I hit the front of amp sims. Works brilliantly, rounds-off my guitar signal without distorting - I keep the gain at around 9 O Clock and use the volume to bring the level up.

I would get Kazrog's Blackverb and Impulsive. Pristine cleans for less than 30 bucks.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Another vote for Scuffham S-Gear.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Effects”