Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what does a lace dually sound like? (too lazy to youtube at the moment)

actually, that reads like a great pickup: http://www.lacemusic.com/Dually_Blue_Gold.php

if i get a guitar, i have my heart set on a cheap telecaster clone that i might hotrod a little ESPECIALLY with a 6 brass barrel saddle bridge and light strings for the ultimate twang sound, and because, as an amputee, i'd play a dropped & stretched (C2 D2 E2 G2 A2 C2) tuned C major and would have to adjust the intonation for every single string, and record every chord change one capoed pass at a time, or as "chorus chords" for a really different sound, but to make things even more unique, i like the direct in sound of single coils inching closer to "banjo sound".

NONE OF YOU would have "my sound" LOL not even close... but i'd probably do SOME conventional tube overdrive stuff too like a track i did on a room mates peavey strat that was call & response between direct & fuzzed out.

given a choice, i like the look of blonde on blonde teles with black pick guards but will settle for whatever i can find used

Xiangqi wrote:actually, that reads like a great pickup: http://www.lacemusic.com/Dually_Blue_Gold.php
The Purple/Emerald seems cool, too

funktoons wrote:NONE OF YOU would have "my sound" LOL not even close...
LOL! That's excellent. :)

Have you ever tried slide? My buddy plays pedal steel, he of course does all the country stuff but also does a lot of rock and pop stuff. He played pedal steel on some One Republic and Christina Aguilera albums and it sounded awesome.

I started to write a huge response on dually's and the specifics between Lace, then Gold and Blue. Blue sounds very much like a P-90 minus the noise and the grit. It's a punchy spongy fat tone. More often used as the neck position. The Gold although they like to quote "50's" Sound actually has a very transparent tone with lots of overtones much like a piezo. It's bright but not brittle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9uWbTMPMI8
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

those sound good in the vid, and it's a testament to this guy's opinion of them that he installed them in a G&L Legacy, which has some rather good stock pickups to begin with. good stuff!

Have you ever tried slide? My buddy plays pedal steel, he of course does all the country stuff but also does a lot of rock and pop stuff. He played pedal steel on some One Republic and Christina Aguilera albums and it sounded awesome.
nope... no can do. i'm an amputee. stretch tuning is by NECESSITY for me, but i see it as a positive as having to multitrack for chord changes would give my tunes a wacky loose chorus sound vs. everyone else's crisp strums & instant chord changes. as i'd like to record binaurally, i could even space each pass out for a really wide image. i used that same idea in one of the FEW beats i was able to coax out of my HR-16 drum machine when i wasn't wanting to smash it with a sledge hammer because i just can't play to a click track as it makes everything i play sound like perfectly quantized kraftwerk where i'm all about loose funk & randomness. anyways, i tuned the onboard cowbell to 5 notes i think, and then kept layering parts until a sloppy toy piano sounding melody came out of it and loved the sound.

even before i became an amputee, i was NEVER able to play guitar. i had one that i would swear at for HOURS at a time just trying to get ONE freakin' chord out without my fingers tripping over and muting strings. i just wasn't able to do it. now, i think that's my grandmother's fault for forcing me to become right handed by refusing to let me write left handed. i might have been able to play if i did the jimi hendrix thing which i think i might have even tried, but with standard stringing so that didn't work either. other than trying to force my flat feet to have arches, she couldn't change what my feet do so i ride skateboards "goofy foot" (kicking with the left foot like a leftie).

i WISH i knew slide players use stretch tuning! i could have been george thorogooding new wave/surf tunes with my department sore toy with fake humbuckers! LOL i actually DID manage to learn D & A, and turned the two pickups into a bridge humbucker along with custom painting that axe before tossing it offstage at the end of a talent show gig playing a song i wrote called cram for the exam. our drummer spaced and one of the bands unplugged the PA on us turning it into an unplugged punk tune. LOL (we did the air band thing the 2 previous years, but hey... i can take credit for single handily, before i was an amputee, ENDING talent shows! WOOHOO! them's SERIOUS punk credentials!!!)
DD DD
AA AA
DD DD
AA AA

being forced into an unorthodox technique would give me a "signature sound" just as tony levin has his chapman stick hammer ons. i would have a loose, sloppy & SPACIOUS sound, all things i like along the lines of this byrne/eno track i always loved precisely because it has a randomness about it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBTIydRB2Pg

i also liked the direct sound of a fender bronco i stretch tuned because i didn't have an amp and my ibanez fuzz sounded crappy with it. i never understood why NO ONE records electric guitars direct. it's a very distinctive sound like "hifi surf"

back to slide guitar... i LOVE the sound of a dobro! it's too bad most slide tracks have to get ruined, like most music, by some fool having to open his or her mouth.

It may have just been you and not anything else. Trust me I've tried to teach people who just don't have it in them no matter how hard they try. As for right vs left. I know a store owner who will only sell right hand guitars even though he's a lefty. It would take me a while to play left but I could switch hit on guitars even though I'm a righty. That being said I'm a crappy keyboard player and I'd practice for hours. Hours and hours. Even Decades later I still consider myself only mediocre on a keyboard.

The great equalizer for me was first the ztar and later the linnstrument. Although now when I want to play something midi based I use an artiphon instrument one.

With regards to clean tone guitars... Ever heard of jazz?

I do a lot of tapping (hence the name) and developed techniques on the ztar for independent left and right hand. Not interdependent, independent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYouJfvKlFo

With regards to tuning.... Artiphon instrument One
You can tune the "strings" to anything, You can play it in any position. While my first love will always be the guitar. My mistress is the artiphon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adcdx-kWGpo

that's a cool demo, mike... kind of spooky to see this 'space age' instrument, making 'tinpan ally' music.... really cool

Thanks that was my second week with the babyz. It was a "proof of concept". I always wanted to play chords with one hand and melody with the other like Organ players do. I had to choose a song that I knew the melody inside and out as well as the chord progression. I've picked up a few tricks since then.

funktoons wrote:if i get a guitar, i have my heart set on a cheap telecaster clone that i might hotrod a little ESPECIALLY with a 6 brass barrel saddle bridge and light strings for the ultimate twang sound, and because, as an amputee, i'd play a dropped & stretched (C2 D2 E2 G2 A2 C2) tuned C major and would have to adjust the intonation for every single string, and record every chord change one capoed pass at a time, or as "chorus chords" for a really different sound, but to make things even more unique, i like the direct in sound of single coils inching closer to "banjo sound".

NONE OF YOU would have "my sound" LOL not even close... but i'd probably do SOME conventional tube overdrive stuff too like a track i did on a room mates peavey strat that was call & response between direct & fuzzed out.

given a choice, i like the look of blonde on blonde teles with black pick guards but will settle for whatever i can find used
what would you call that open chord, C9add6? ('C with a D note, add an A note')

funktoons wrote:i never understood why NO ONE records electric guitars direct. it's a very distinctive sound like "hifi surf"
Yes, I agree. It's actually something I've been doing a lot lately. I low pass at 500Hz but then boost hard at 3KHz, which gives me plenty of clarity and edge without being too much. Or, to put it another way, it gets rid of all the nasty frequencies without making it sound dull. I also compress 10:1. I starting doing this in hopes of sounding like a Rhodes but so far have not been successful. ;)

Had my Faith Naked Venus setup by Dave at Eternal Guitars in the UK last week. Fret dress, new bone nut and saddle, and full setup. Sounds and plays amazing now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nwice!!!!!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”