streaming, as in NOT pattern based, MIDI?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

recording in cubase to either audio or midi without any grid or tempo constraints is bog easy. It's when you want to use something in conjunction with it that IS tempo based, it will take a bit of initial brain power to see what Cubase is up to. So you can free record to your hearts content.

Once you have that done and say you want to use a drum VSTi or an audio loop ... those will want to be tied to a tempo. Cubase has an extract tempo function. It will make the ruler match an audio or midi performance instead of forcing the audio/midi to the ruler. With the extracted ruler, you can then playback using VSTi and loops that are will now conform to your freeform data. Again, it can be a brain twiddle to figure out the first time. But in the end, it isn't that hard.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

For something like 3 yrs I recorded MIDI to a SMPTE timeline and never even looked at bars and beats. One thing I had too much adjustment to and it had to be tight in kind of a funk attitude and I started using that Time Warp and getting really anal with bars & beats.

Time Warp has been part of Cubase full for almost a decade, iirc earlyish 2008, in Cubase 4.

What's the max PPQN of Cubase these days?

Groundhog #31684 wrote:What's the max PPQN of Cubase these days?
1/16= 1000 ticks, 4000PPQBase

gaf_thit wrote:
funktoons wrote:i don't know what happened, my previous post got quoted, i think because i tried to edit it, but what i popped by to say is that i'm trying to read up on FL studio as a producer reviewing VSTs makes it sound like it's "the best" for syncing loops, or at least better than logic. i imagine it's also a more stripped down DAW being based on a former entry level one, but i still really need to read up on the pros & cons of everything.
Now, I haven't used FL studio much, but I have thought that was the DAW that is most synced midi/beats/loops etc and patternbased DAW there is.
If you want streaming and not pattern based, most others would be better. Even using a recording program, like the free Audacity would be better in that case.

I quite like FL though, but never understood how to get things going. Too many other projects.
Well, the sequencer is. However, you could just insert 1 pattern in the playlist, start recording without quantization/clicktrack and voila..."even" FL Studio sounds/feels like a DAW without patterns. The one thing is, in FL Studio the data will be stored in patterns. But one could do everything (literally) in just 1 pattern. A complete song without any tempo-to-grid is possible in 1 pattern (including events, automations, note and controller midi data, etc.)

exmatproton wrote:
gaf_thit wrote:
funktoons wrote:i don't know what happened, my previous post got quoted, i think because i tried to edit it, but what i popped by to say is that i'm trying to read up on FL studio as a producer reviewing VSTs makes it sound like it's "the best" for syncing loops, or at least better than logic. i imagine it's also a more stripped down DAW being based on a former entry level one, but i still really need to read up on the pros & cons of everything.
Now, I haven't used FL studio much, but I have thought that was the DAW that is most synced midi/beats/loops etc and patternbased DAW there is.
If you want streaming and not pattern based, most others would be better. Even using a recording program, like the free Audacity would be better in that case.

I quite like FL though, but never understood how to get things going. Too many other projects.
Well, the sequencer is. However, you could just insert 1 pattern in the playlist, start recording without quantization/clicktrack and voila..."even" FL Studio sounds/feels like a DAW without patterns. The one thing is, in FL Studio the data will be stored in patterns. But one could do everything (literally) in just 1 pattern. A complete song without any tempo-to-grid is possible in 1 pattern (including events, automations, note and controller midi data, etc.)
Good to know, thank you.
Not sure when I have time to learn FL Studio. It feels so alien to me, coming from Reaper. I'm just ignorant and slow witted.
Maybe my eldest son will inherit it instead...

bustedfist wrote:
Groundhog #31684 wrote:What's the max PPQN of Cubase these days?
1/16= 1000 ticks, 4000PPQBase
Thanks, so it's 4000 display resolution and 960 for export.

gaf_thit wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
gaf_thit wrote:

Good to know, thank you.
Not sure when I have time to learn FL Studio. It feels so alien to me, coming from Reaper. I'm just ignorant and slow witted.
A friend of mine used to use Reaper as well and he was complaining about the same thing in fl studio. However, when i showed him how one is able to make use of patterns without being bound by them, he understood how open and free to configure fl studio actually is (arrangement-wise. Not talking about the vast amount of options in Reaper), compared to Reaper (and for instance pro tools and sonar as well. Where mixer tracks and instruments are linked, no matter what......don't want to start a "new daw-war", but fl studio is actually quite flexible).

It is ofcourse possible to use the straight and locked up (by timing and quantizing when using the mouse to input trigger points) sequencer, but you don't have to. I don't touch the build in sequencer at all. Everything is being done by pianoroll edits and free (no q) recording.

exmatproton wrote:
gaf_thit wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
gaf_thit wrote:

Good to know, thank you.
A friend of mine used to use Reaper as well and he was complaining about the same thing in fl studio. However, when i showed him how one is able to make use of patterns without being bound by them, he understood how open and free to configure fl studio actually is (arrangement-wise. Not talking about the vast amount of options in Reaper), compared to Reaper (and for instance pro tools and sonar as well. Where mixer tracks and instruments are linked, no matter what......don't want to start a "new daw-war", but fl studio is actually quite flexible).

It is ofcourse possible to use the straight and locked up (by timing and quantizing) sequencer, but you don't have to. I don't touch the build in sequencer at all. Everything is being done by pianoroll edits and free (no q) recording.
I read many reviews and watched some tutorials before I bought FLS, but when I tried using it, I had trouble even loading a vst and did not understand how to start a new track. I managed to make a pattern with the sequencer and so on, but stumbled quite early and went back to Reaper. The safe and known, for me.

Too impatient as usual. I will certainly make more of an effort. There are several things I like a lot in FLS and there is little reason to restrict oneself to use one daw all the time, of one inclined to experiment.

Thanks for waking my interest in FLS again.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”