Which Mandolin is better, Orange Tree or 8dio

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking at 8dio's new Mandolin, but then there's the group buy on Orange Tree's as well, which makes the price about the same or even cheaper. Which looks like a better buy?
Music you can believe in:
http://rebshaya.com

Would like to know as well.

Judging by the walkthroughs Orange tree has much better strumming engine and has more varied presets. Otherwise they seem fairly even.
Would be nice to know from someone who actually have them though.

8Dio is a breakaway from Tomehammer (alongside SoundIron) with the same old promise of thousands of samples and most likely the same quality issues as Tonehammer and Soundiron.

OTS is a quality company with updates if there are issues. I know you want a user who has both to respond (and I have neither library) but I know where I'd place my money and it's the less flashier of the two choices (the one with the current group buy).

If you haven't already, the mandolin library from Bolder Sounds is worth checking out:

http://www.boldersounds.net/index.php?m ... qhod0t0ia5

WHAT quality issues w. Tonehammer and Soundiron?

looks like disinformation to me

8Dio released Mandolin solo, then Mandolin strummer and now Advanced Mandolin.

I have Mandolin solo and would have prefered to get everything through the same product with updates or upgrades. I won't pay 3 times for a mandolin from the same company.

If I may add...

8Dio is a fantastic company. Quality products abound there. Soundiron is and equally good company with good products. I own many products from both.

What I have found, however, is that their price points tend to be a little high compared to their counterparts. Fortunately, at least with 8Dio, you can get a good 40% off at various times throughout the year making their products more enticing.

With Orangetree, the quality is fantastic as well. What I like is that Greg is very focused on particular products and gotten quite skilled at achieving an awesome sound in a COMPLETE product. That said, OTS's Mandolin is on my group buy list this time around. You cannot go wrong with it. And the variety is just the start. I personally believe on solo instruments, he has the string thing down!

Jon

Not real keen on 8dio stuff after trying adagio strings so I'm just another fan for the orange tree pile hahaha
Anyway those orange tree cats know their shit. Got sampled guitars down to a f*ckin science.

While 8dio products are good, they are not without their problems. They can be a bit sloppy with the details of their instruments and they rarely seem to correct or update the products with fixes. I have the Bulbul Tarang (which is admittedly an earlier library of theirs) and there are plenty of samples in the layers with annoying buzz (where 1 out of 5 layers has a terrible buzz) and some other sample editing issues. No fixes given. You can find complaints with similar issues with some of their string products although I do not have the latest releases in that area.

Plus, there's this whole debacle: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6094917

It does seem they're trying to do better these days, but I'm wearing at spending too much cash with them.

My impression from various threads around here is that the nice guys went over to Soundiron and the not so nice ones went over to 8dio in the Tonehammer split. I've been nothing but pleased with the quality and service of Soundiron.

So, my answer? You can't go wrong with the Orange Tree Mandolin. Top notch service and top notch products.

I do also have the Bolder Sounds Mandolin, but I'd say the OTS is much more user friendly.

jsp1979 wrote: this whole debacle: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6094917
lol, I knew I remembered something about them here.
I bought Solo Frame Drums from them, or it kind of looks like from Tonehammer and that transferred. Then they came out with a free upgrade of that, somehow my account was not up to that as far as the serials or license and they corrected it. Treated me ok.

It isn't where I'm going to spend money in future, however. Soundiron definitely is.
I don't think the split was particularly amicable. I saw a situation where 8 DIO had continued to develop a product based in someone's work, who dropped out and it was quite a situation, I'm not sure that's even legal. Folmann had gone onto the ah, other forum and had their moderator act in his interests on the thing. There was a thread elsewhere on the 'net about it where Soundiron's ___ came in to call Folmann a douche.
The wiki "Troels Folmann" is pretty shilltastic.
Just one of the companies I'm not a giant fan of. But I wouldn't conflate it with Soundiron.

Soundiron rocks, definitely :tu:

thejonsolo wrote:If I may add...

8Dio is a fantastic company. Quality products abound there. Soundiron is and equally good company with good products. I own many products from both.

What I have found, however, is that their price points tend to be a little high compared to their counterparts. Fortunately, at least with 8Dio, you can get a good 40% off at various times throughout the year making their products more enticing.

With Orangetree, the quality is fantastic as well. What I like is that Greg is very focused on particular products and gotten quite skilled at achieving an awesome sound in a COMPLETE product. That said, OTS's Mandolin is on my group buy list this time around. You cannot go wrong with it. And the variety is just the start. I personally believe on solo instruments, he has the string thing down!

Jon
Yes, I'm tempted to get the Orange Tree Mandolin too!

There is literally no better time the present! Group buy...it will hit 60%.

thejonsolo wrote:There is literally no better time the present! Group buy...it will hit 60%.
It did! I might get it before the end of the Group buy.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”