Superior Drummer 3?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
dfh Superior (incl. Custom & Vintage) Superior Drummer 2

shidostrife wrote:
medienhexer wrote:
JohnPativens wrote:
shidostrife wrote:I'd rather buy the bare engine and some expansion packs that I really need. Would be more useful for me without spending as much.
This.
I think it's a dead end street, discussing this. We had the same discussion about the Kontakt 5 upgrade. Selling the application update without the library update would have to cost the same, because toontrack have calculated their cost, divided by the number of paying customers to break even with their financial investment.

Software isn't a physical good which costs a certain amount to produce an additional copy of. After the initial investment, copies/licenses of the software are mostly profit. So there's no reason for toontrack to deduct any amount and selling just the application. It's a mixed calculation.
I know, I meant, I'd rather buy other drum VSTs which are cheaper and contains less libraries out of the box, such as EZD, AD, or SSD, or even SD2, rather than buying SD3. But that's my personal preference.
Ah, I see. I think AD is the only product that lets you buy the core application with vouchers that allow you free choice of the libraries you're interested in. Every other product comes with a factory library, just like SD3.

As for the price, yes, they're increasing the price of entry. MSRP for SD2 is 259€, SD3 is 349€. Which brings it more in line with bfd3 (319€). Although, the size of the SD3 factory library suggests that this new price will be justified by the number of drum components and level of detail alone.

Wait two years and down the line, retail will come up with great bundle deals to get new users started.

I think what we see now for the first time is an actual segmentation of the market. EZDrummer, SSD and AD as the ~150€ products with less features and less detailed drum samples and SD3 and bfd3 at the ~350€ high end with more detailed drum samples, internal sequencers/editors and full mixers.

And if you look at it that way, AD is kind of the best deal or me. Because out of the low end offerings, it, for my personal taste, sounds best (little to no machine gun effect) and you have a broad selection of really good internal effects which you can fully edit, just like in SD3 or bfd3.

I will eventually update SD2, probably even at the regular price. If you look at the Progressive Foundry SDX, that one has been excluded from sales for almost two years now. So I don't expect toontrack to discount the upgrade anytime soon.

But for now, I have so much to explore in bfd3 and AD, it would be crazy to spend any money.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

medienhexer wrote:
shidostrife wrote:
medienhexer wrote:
JohnPativens wrote:
shidostrife wrote:I'd rather buy the bare engine and some expansion packs that I really need. Would be more useful for me without spending as much.
This.
I think it's a dead end street, discussing this. We had the same discussion about the Kontakt 5 upgrade. Selling the application update without the library update would have to cost the same, because toontrack have calculated their cost, divided by the number of paying customers to break even with their financial investment.

Software isn't a physical good which costs a certain amount to produce an additional copy of. After the initial investment, copies/licenses of the software are mostly profit. So there's no reason for toontrack to deduct any amount and selling just the application. It's a mixed calculation.
I know, I meant, I'd rather buy other drum VSTs which are cheaper and contains less libraries out of the box, such as EZD, AD, or SSD, or even SD2, rather than buying SD3. But that's my personal preference.
Ah, I see. I think AD is the only product that lets you buy the core application with vouchers that allow you free choice of the libraries you're interested in. Every other product comes with a factory library, just like SD3.

As for the price, yes, they're increasing the price of entry. MSRP for SD2 is 259€, SD3 is 349€. Which brings it more in line with bfd3 (319€). Although, the size of the SD3 factory library suggests that this new price will be justified by the number of drum components and level of detail alone.

Wait two years and down the line, retail will come up with great bundle deals to get new users started.

I think what we see now for the first time is an actual segmentation of the market. EZDrummer, SSD and AD as the ~150€ products with less features and less detailed drum samples and SD3 and bfd3 at the ~350€ high end with more detailed drum samples, internal sequencers/editors and full mixers.

And if you look at it that way, AD is kind of the best deal or me. Because out of the low end offerings, it, for my personal taste, sounds best (little to no machine gun effect) and you have a broad selection of really good internal effects which you can fully edit, just like in SD3 or bfd3.

I will eventually update SD2, probably even at the regular price. If you look at the Progressive Foundry SDX, that one has been excluded from sales for almost two years now. So I don't expect toontrack to discount the upgrade anytime soon.

But for now, I have so much to explore in bfd3 and AD, it would be crazy to spend any money.
Indeed, I had AD2 before but sold it to finance Komplete. I kind of regret that now, might end up buying it again if it goes on sale this year. AD2 custom is easily the best choice for people only interested in specific libraries like me lol.

am very corious bout superior drummer.
looks like ez drummer on steorids :))

Cinebient wrote:You can get it (for €50 extra) on an usb drive via best service.
But even it looks and sounds interesting i'm quite happy with what i get with Logic, especially after the latest update.
I also would prefer a cheaper entree and buy the sets i would want.
There are many much cheaper things which sounds as good for me.
For €99 i would bite.

thank you for the information. i just bought it on bestservice.
50€ is still much money but now i dont have to download a whole week ^^

musicjunk wrote:
Cinebient wrote:You can get it (for €50 extra) on an usb drive via best service.
But even it looks and sounds interesting i'm quite happy with what i get with Logic, especially after the latest update.
I also would prefer a cheaper entree and buy the sets i would want.
There are many much cheaper things which sounds as good for me.
For €99 i would bite.

thank you for the information. i just bought it on bestservice.
50€ is still much money but now i dont have to download a whole week ^^
:) I have the same problem. My net is so slow it would need a month here.
I still prefer to buy everything on disc or usb drives but sadly everyone seems to go for download only more and more :?

@Cinebient

i dont need everything boxed on disc or usb.

but larger downloads i prefer usb harddrive, disc too

am very happy that bestservice sells it for 50 €.
coz i never woul spend almost 200 bucks for ssd version.
i thought: okay then i have to doenload it withing 1 week ^^
but 50e are okay for that time saver.

Return to “Instruments”