Pan on a Sub mix Buss or just in the track channels?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all
I have a question about how you guys would handle panning on your sub mix busses.

Obviously certain things like kicks and bass are left centre panned but, as an example, I am working on a track with a Brass section.

Each brass instrument is on its own stem and each stem has its own channel - I have EQ'd and panned each to taste and I am sending all brass to a sub mix buss (on which I will use some gentle compression, saturation and so on).

My question is (and forgive me if this is a stone cold newbie one) would you leave the panning on your sub mix buss to center or would you pan hard right & left? :)

I do not really want the panning on the sub mix buss to interfere with the panning I have used on the stem channels - or, should I be doing something here also?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't want to change the panning you already have, then don't pan the buss.

Hi thecontrolcentre

Great thanks - I was not sure how I was supposed to leave the panning on the mix bus :)

thecontrolcentre wrote:If you don't want to change the panning you already have, then don't pan the buss.

In your example of the brass section:

You first pan the individual instruments/tracks (relative to the section) and with the bus pan you determine the position of the whole section within the stereo field.

But leaving the pan of the bus always to center and only work with individual pan is also okay. Just use the method you think works best for you.

No, pan everything, you must pan everything. :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Return to “Production Techniques”