Helix Native plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Helix Native

EvilDragon wrote:
Valimesh wrote:I've been playing around with the demo and I'm just very disappointed...I'm a pod farm user, have been for years...I use an amp on pod farm called the spinal puppet, TONS of gain. There is no such amp in helix native and no other amp even comes CLOSE to the amount of gain the spinal puppet has. Does anyone have any suggestions?
You can boost any amp to ridiculous levels by stacking distortion pedals before the amp, really...
I've tried that...I think I'll just stick with Pod Farm...the spinal puppet amp is just amazing, I hope, one day line 6 will bring it to helix.
Check out my solo project!
If you like alternative rock/grunge https://soundcloud.com/anger-cage

Helix Native in 9 different styles:

https://youtu.be/ye2ONBRdLCU
Last edited by guitarjon on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

I mix and match so many plugins I prefer things not be too much in a box otherwise can't rearrange

I just upgraded to Helix.Love the efx. If you are using cubase 9.5. you will find The helix vst3
under other on a PC

zvenx wrote:
Jim Roseberry wrote:...............
Here's an example of Helix Native... playing a modded Marshall type sound.
http://www.studiocat.com/temp/Helix_Nat ... rshall.mp3

Here's the same basic patch with a different Cab IR (Friedman 4x12 mic'd with Royer-121 and SM-57)... and the amp Sag parameter turned down a bit:
http://www.studiocat.com/temp/Helix_Nat ... 121_57.mp3
Yep. I just don't like the sound of Helix/Line 6..there is a higher frequency 'brittleness' in the sound that really 'grates at me'.
rsp
I’m with you. I wouldn’t say it’s grating, but there is something unnatural about that demo that’s in line with all the Line6 products I’ve owned over the years.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I tested Helix Native today. It sounds really fizzy at crunch modes, more so than any other plugin in recent years, as S-Gear, Spark, TH3 or the latest Kuassa Caliburn demos and Rockrack / Bassdude demos I hear. I wonder if you agree with me, and if the floor unit sounds as fizzy? What's the fuss about it? I'm using a Babyface Pro as interface.
Disappointed to say the least because I hear people contemplating between Helix units and Axe FX. They compare? How?
Sometimes I just wish I could afford Axe FX III but I can't (and be done with mediocrity).
It's all software anyways isn't it?

Are you using its own cabs or your own IRs?

Shouldn't it be completely ITB, like the hardware?
No, I didn't. But I expected it to sound great nontheless.

I must admit though that all the FX in Helix Native sound amazing! So many clones of famous distortion, overdrive, boost, modulation and compressors. Probably the only proper DynaComp emulation in a plugin.

tristan- wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 pm I tested Helix Native today. It sounds really fizzy at crunch modes, more so than any other plugin in recent years, as S-Gear, Spark, TH3 or the latest Kuassa Caliburn demos and Rockrack / Bassdude demos I hear. I wonder if you agree with me, and if the floor unit sounds as fizzy? What's the fuss about it? I'm using a Babyface Pro as interface.
Disappointed to say the least because I hear people contemplating between Helix units and Axe FX. They compare? How?
Sometimes I just wish I could afford Axe FX III but I can't (and be done with mediocrity).
It's all software anyways isn't it?

I had a very different experience, where Helix sounded a bit 'warmer' than most amp sims.

What type of input levels are you running into it?

SLiC wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:46 pm
EvilDragon wrote:Guys, guys. Try loading some 3sigma or Rosen impulses into this mother, high gain amps absolutely scream with some of them!

As far as CPU, it seems pretty well behaved on my i7-6700K at 4.4 GHz here. Didn't see it go above 5-6% with any of factory presets, which is pretty good, me happy.
Haven't played with the impulse side yet (just went through the pre-sets and made a few patches to my taste from scratch), I am surprised that there were not any IR's included and used as part of pre-sets top really sell this as a $400 package. I know we shouldn't, but I suspect a lot of people will just download and flick through a few of the pre-sets as is.

The Helix hardware got pretty good reviews, and this should sound exactly like the hardware assuming you have descent D/A etc. For me, I could hear more of an imitate difference between the original POD 2 and the HD500 (which I own) than I can between the HD500 and the Helix. I am sure the Helix is better, I just not sure yet how much better....and if that difference is worth the $$$ (Given that I have a HD500 in to a DT25). If I get to love the Helix sound I think I would be more inclined to sell my HD500 and by the HelixLT, it isn't that much more than the software!!
The Helix really does come to life when you start loading some good 3rd party IRs. Also check out Ownhammer and Redwirez. :)

Robert Randolph wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:34 am
I had a very different experience, where Helix sounded a bit 'warmer' than most amp sims.

What type of input levels are you running into it?
I'm always monitoring the input levels, taking care to barely touch red in hard playing.

again, I was digging yesterday through all the FX models and the FX side of it is wonderful. I just wish the amp/cab could be just as good. if the Helix is IR based why would I resort to 3rd party IRs? the Axe sounds good as it is I guess, S-Gear does, Spark does, as most of the other newer sims.

Helix stock cabs are not IR based. They supply some IRs as well and support convolution - 1024 or 2048 samples. If you have some cab IRs that you like with other amp sims try them.

tristan- wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:34 amI'm always monitoring the input levels, taking care to barely touch red in hard playing.
This is wrong for Helix. See page 10 of manual. Your level should peak anywhere between -36 and -12 dB.

Input gain is the most important thing with ampsims. Not all of them expect a signal peaking at 0 dBFS at your hardest playing!

Helix amp modeling is great. But you gotta set your inputs right. And yeah Helix cabs are not IRs AFAIK. So use your own IRs.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 am
This is wrong for Helix. See page 10 of manual. Your level should peak anywhere between -36 and -12 dB.
Thank you! I'm well aware of that though. I see the page you mentioned in the manual, my normal playing is well between -24dB to -12dB. I'm always monitoring the mixer.

tristan- wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:36 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 am
Thank you! I'm well aware of that though. I see the page you mentioned in the manual, my normal playing is well between -24dB to -12dB. I'm always monitoring the mixer.
Do you think that Helix demos online sound alright?

Return to “Effects”