Low-cost mastering EQ plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why not cockos reaeq?
You can add as may bands as you want and it is free

Yes, mastering EQ doesn't have to be surgical but gentle. You've chosen good. SlickEQ is one of the best, if not the best, at any price. Now pair it with a free VladG's Limiter No6 and you've gotten yourself a nice mastering setup for little investment.

However, when you're mastering your own tracks it's important to remember a couple of things: Don't do it the same day. Give your ears some time to rest. Use reference tracks to compare to. The most important one is: make a really great mix. Don't try to repair *anything* with mastering. It has to sound really good to begin with. Mastering is just for beautifying it, or in many cases nowadays destroy it, unfortunately.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DDMF - LP10

Venomode - Pivot (tilts or shelves)

Klanghelm SDRR (more saturation but has some tone shaping)

I would say LVC Audio's TonedPLUS too (some gorgeous transformer modelling to boot) when it's on 50% sale - and Analog Obsession BXQ @ $29 on sale.

Don't overlook the regular SlickEQ GE either :)

DuX wrote:Don't try to repair *anything* with mastering.
Excellent take-home advice right there.

If you are mixing and mastering your own stuff, you have the ultimate luxury of going back to the mix - so instead of dynamic EQ zero'd in on the kickdrum to pull it down a few db.. just go back to the mix and turn it down!

It's a double-edged sword though because then, if you're like me, you become obsessed with chasing the "perfect mix" dragon :D But I've learned so much in doing so.

DuX wrote:
However, when you're mastering your own tracks it's important to remember a couple of things: Don't do it the same day. Give your ears some time to rest. Use reference tracks to compare to. The most important one is: make a really great mix. Don't try to repair *anything* with mastering. It has to sound really good to begin with. Mastering is just for beautifying it, or in many cases nowadays destroy it, unfortunately.
+1

I like EasyQ a lot, (used to use MEqualizer), has a great filter plot/GUI and sounds like any other normal EQ.

IK Master EQ 432 currently on sale for $99.99... so kinda "double figures"... :)

I like it, def. worth a demo...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

For mastering daw eq does the job well. As for compression and brickwall limiting not all daws tools do the job as well as some vsts. I recommend to invest in UHe Presswerk, IK Stealth Limiter and Waves C4.

Presswerk is amazing all purpose compressor and with ability to do negative curve wich makes it an amazing compressor to use for dance music tracks.

Stealth limiter is probably one of the loudest and cleaneat limiters.

Waves c4 is just simply great multiband compressor. I like it use alot to control the low frequencies. Considering how old it is i cant guarantee its better then most of what daws has today but i like how its simple to use and how effective it is.

Speaking of Waves: their Linear Phase Multiband Compressor is still at sale for 29$ and with a bit of patience the Linear Phase EQ will come around for the same price, sooner or later. You'll get them even cheaper at third party resellers like everyplugin, audiodeluxe, jrrshop (and others) and you might also be able to grab them in the Sell/Buy area for cheap.

Still, the TDR stuff is absolutely top notch :tu:

In regard of the "Do I need this/that plugin?!"-Question I also highly recommend Andrew Scheps :hihi:
The whole Q&A is really worth watching imho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX1csjx3YNU

Oh, this is insanely good value for money (currently $11-something with code)

http://kazrog.com/products/valveq/

TDR Nova (Free). Not only EQ but also Dynamic. Awesome EQ. I like shelves especially :)
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

DuX wrote:Yes, mastering EQ doesn't have to be surgical but gentle. You've chosen good. SlickEQ is one of the best, if not the best, at any price. Now pair it with a free VladG's Limiter No6 and you've gotten yourself a nice mastering setup for little investment.
Replace Limiter No6 with the new TDR version :hyper: :) but yeah they both work
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Basically get the full TDR package :)

camsr wrote:I like EasyQ a lot, (used to use MEqualizer), has a great filter plot/GUI and sounds like any other normal EQ.
The one by rs-met ? Love that one. Simple and clean gui.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Effects”